Halloween Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I have only have 352 days, 7 hours and 50 some minutes until Halloween, I'm trying to get materials for my FCG. After reading comments, I've decided to go with a Dayton motor. Now....which would you recommend? The 12V DC or 110 AC motor? I've read that the AC motor is louder?

Thanks!

·
Banned
524 Posts
I don't think they make that Dayton motor anymore. If it is going to be away from guests as in they can see it but not get close enough to see it up close. Then the noise of the motor shouldn't be an issue.

The one I am getting is from monster guts. I am buying the entire kit already made. All you have to do is build the ghost. I think it is worth it in time I would be saving and it isn't all that much to buy for the kit built. It runs off 120v AC power.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I'd go with the 12V DC motor, right now I run mine with the AC version but I have two spares that are DC....DC motors tend to be a little more forgiving to mistakes sure as jam ups etc. both will suit your need though.

·
Registered
45 Posts
There still some dayton motors left at Grainger but they are slated to be discontinued. I scored a 5 rpm dayton gear motor shaded pole AC. The noise isn't as bad as you think. Basically, if you have sound for your haunt this will remedy the sound of the gear motor. It only makes noise during the ghost itself is low position. This is due to less weight when lowering, it gets much quieter when the motor is using the torque end when pulling the weight of the ghost back up.

You really have many avenues for motors with your crank ghost project. I see most using rotisserie motors from buying them cheap at flea markets and yard sales. Wiper motors work well too, which using a 12 volt DC wallwart should do the trick as well.

Really, the biggest decision on any project is how much you want to spend on building it. There are gear motors out there to replace the phased out daytons but cost a little more. I was lucky and picked mine up in September for 40 bucks.

I built my first this year and now working on some more trickier ones for next year.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts