Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all!

Okay, I've been through many different tutorials on FCG, and have discovered that none of them detail threading the ghost! Or I just have not found the proper tutorial.

I received a crank mechanism today, but am confused about how the head is threaded...I understand the arms wires go thru the screweyes at the end of each of the extended parts, and then to the 3-hole washer on the crank...I thought that the screw-eye on the back of the crank frame was for stringing the head, but the length of the crank goes past that screw-eye by a couple of inches, so not sure how to attach head to string to frame to crank without it getting tangled...I must be missing something...argghh! :eek:
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

·
livin Halloween every day
1,989 Posts
On my ghost there is a seperate eye hook at the back of the rig on the main frame that has the pulley and attachment point for the head. The crank turns in front of this head attachment point. I am sorry i dont have a pic of this but the ghost is in storage right now till the big night.

·
Funeral Crasher
7,449 Posts
Sounds like the rear (head) eye bolt is too close or your crank is too long.
When I built mine I made each eye bolt (I used pulleys) the same distance from the end of the crank.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
okay, I think I may know what the issue is, check out the pic...the motor shaft is at one end of the motor...is the motor mounted backwards (meaning should I flip it horizontally)? That definitely would make the crank shorter than the location of that back head screweye...whaddya think?

:confused:

·
Scared Silly
1,931 Posts
okay, I think I may know what the issue is, check out the pic...the motor shaft is at one end of the motor...is the motor mounted backwards (meaning should I flip it horizontally)? That definitely would make the crank shorter than the location of that back head screweye...whaddya think?
I would definitely try that. It shouldn't be blocking the eye hook.

·
Bête noire
2,631 Posts
I see what you mean. The crank is definitely going to interfere with the head string. You're right - try rotating the motor 180° and see if it clears the eyebolt. Also, I noticed that eyebolt on the arm extension looks like it's in the wrong place. Should it be at the end of the extension, not at the pivot?

·
Funeral Crasher
7,449 Posts
Also, I noticed that eyebolt on the arm extension looks like it's in the wrong place. Should it be at the end of the extension, not at the pivot?
I'm guessing that eye bolt is used for hanging the unit from the ceiling. That's my guess.

One thing though, even when you get your crank to clear the eye bolt it looks like the crank is sitting too high on top of the motor. I think the FCG lines will work smoother if the fender washer is even with, or just above the eye bolt (when the unit is orientated to it's hung position).
Try it anyway. Like I said, I've always used pulleys instead of eye bolts.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, everyone, yes it seems like the motor was mounted backwards, I flipped it..it clears fine now...very strange! This was driving me crazy...

Mr. Chicken, that's what I thought, also...
Otaku, DavethegGrave is correct, that eye bolt you see is actually for hanging, since the pic is with the crank upside down; there's another eye bolt on the end of the arm extension...
DavetheGrave, thanks for the advice, it's very helpful, if motion is not smooth, I'll look for a shorter shaft nut, I know I've seen them at the hardware store...I never would have known to look for that!

·
livin Halloween every day
1,989 Posts
The crank arm there is definately longer than the arm on mine is. My rig actually has a back bar with a pulley for the head line to run. I would use pulleys rather than eye hooks, i imagine they both would work but the puleys give a very nice smooth movement.

·
Registered
725 Posts
That is a rather heavy duty system you got there. Does the motor have good torque? If so you could hang a fairly heavy ghost.

·
Shadow box dancer
1,443 Posts
The crank arm there is definately longer than the arm on mine is. My rig actually has a back bar with a pulley for the head line to run. I would use pulleys rather than eye hooks, i imagine they both would work but the puleys give a very nice smooth movement.
Sometimes fishing line can wear down and break when fish eyes are used, so it might be better to use pulleys.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm guessing that eye bolt is used for hanging the unit from the ceiling. That's my guess.

One thing though, even when you get your crank to clear the eye bolt it looks like the crank is sitting too high on top of the motor. I think the FCG lines will work smoother if the fender washer is even with, or just above the eye bolt (when the unit is orientated to it's hung position).
Try it anyway. Like I said, I've always used pulleys instead of eye bolts.
DITG
You were right...the crank is too high, I'll either need to replace the eyebolts with longer ones, or get a shorter shaft coupler...I finished the ghost today and tried it and everything gets tangled on the shaft...
<sigh:mad:
I'll try to find out the size of that coupler that's connected to motor shaft and get a shorter one...

·
Registered
912 Posts
Davy2, check out my profile, i have some pics of my FCG there that might show some detail. I got my ideas mostly from Phantasmechanics (The Flying Crank Ghost - Instructions, Part 1) and they were fairly detailed. If there is anything i can do to help you out, drop me a line and i will. I have had my FCG for my third year now and it has served me fairly well with a minimum of trouble. It's one of those things that, once you have it set up and running properly after a lot of trial and error, then it is like riding a bicycle, you never forget how to do it........Scruff

check out this pic......

Halloween Forum - Scruffywolf's Album: One week to go! - Picture

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok, I'm officially getting disgusted now...I may build my own rig, which I should have done in the first place...I email the maker of this rig I bought regarding some specs for the shaft bolt and get no reply...evidently this rig was not tested with a ghost because the eyelets for the ghost wires are higher than the level of the bumper washer, so everything gets tangled up on the motor shaft...I'm really friggin annoyed...especially when you email the person who made it and they don't even give you the respect of a reply!
(okay, I feel alittle better now)

·
Registered
275 Posts
I think your rig is OK. Longer eyelet bolts would go a long way in making this work. Another thing you might consider is using spacers on the four motor mounting bolts to get the motor moved higher. This might eliminate the need for a shorter connector nut. One other thing you might want to try since you are testing, is to have the extension arms swept backwards instead of forwards. This will help eliminate the ghost tending to lean backwards when the head is at the down end of it's travel. Was this rig already assembled when you received it? If not, there is the possibility that the angle iron that supports the two extension arms is upside down. It's hard to visualize problems without being there. I am sure that there are many people on this forum who can help. On my rig, the crank arm is bent to change the height of the washer. Sort of an "S" shape to it. You definately don't want the washer closer to the rig than the crank to motor attachment. I don't believe you want them even either. The washer needs to be lower than the crank to motor attachment. I'll bet someone on here posts a picture of theirs and things will get clear in a hurry. I'll look at mine tonight and see if I can get a pic.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts