Halloween Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evenin guys and gals,

OK, so here it is; after reading tons about haunting and prop making, one common assumption seems to ring true from all my "research": You're not truly a "certified" prop builder until you've built your own FCG. So, with my ground breaker getting closer to completion each day, i am setting my sights on a higher project.

Now, i know there are 1001 different tutorials on building the rig. my problem is two fold. 1. im not very handy man inclined (though im willing to learn) and 2. I am a very very visual learner. A few days ago i read a post about a FCG that was done with a disco ball motor for $9.99 (thats more like my price range)

can anyone perhaps post a very visual very step by step tutorial on creating a FCG rig with that type of motor? Anyways, my quest continues to become a "true" prop maker" and would looove to have an addition of a FCG this year.. :) Please and thanks in advance

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks scareisburg I checked out the ones at the Monster Page of Halloween Projects... but not the first... ill take a look. thanks a lot :)

·
Registered
725 Posts
Here is the one that I followed for the motor portion: http://www.halloweenforum.com/halloween-props/75658-fcg-rig-ghost-50-a.html

I followed it fairly close with the exception that instead of utility zipper pull hooks, which I had no idea where to purchase, I used fishing leaders.

To get reference for my ghost, I used Dr Kreepy's video: YouTube - Flying Crank Ghost Tutorial Part 1

Also with one exception, that for some strange reason, we no longer have wire hangers so I just used wire, shaped the main portion like a hanger and took it from there. Hopefully I will get some pictures up soon. My wife's snapshot camera went bad a couple weeks ago, so we are waiting on a new one, that and im not allowed to touch her "good" camera!

·
Registered
591 Posts
This is the link That I used to build my first.just remember none of it is set in stone you can tweak it, add to it,fasten it,or use wood. As long as the crank rotates the rest is just to fasten the motor and the lines to.And also you don't need to build a PVC frame like in the hauntproject.com how to's that's just extra I hang mine from the ceiling. or you can go all out and build a crypt to house it.

Flying Crank Ghost

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks alot guys. I may just have to buy the motor and get my hands dirty. I have a hard time wrapping my brain around the wiring of the arms to the motor... so ill just have o start it to get it :) Thanks guys, looking forward to trying this out soon

·
Registered
594 Posts
Thanks for the link Bubbels, I love Dr. Kreepy's videos, they make things look so "do-able", I can really understand after watching his stuff.

Lonerogue, when you start working on it, give us updates... some of us (er, MEE, MEEE) have yet to do this one, and would like some pointers as you go! :D

·
Registered
630 Posts
Hey loner, just think of the lines coming off the arm as a "Y" the 2 upper legs are for the arms, and the other leg is for the head easy :rolleyes:

·
Registered
591 Posts
And the center of the Y is where the washer/disk is.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys

Hey thanks all for the links, videos, and advice. If and when i get to this project, ill be sure to chronicle how it goes. I just love the effect a really good fcg has.. looks so cool! thanks again

·
Registered
354 Posts
The Kickthefog.com version of the hanging rig is what I used in 2k8 and it was very good. I also used the Chauvet Discoball motor to power it. The motor's not super powerful, but it got the job done well and I'll likely use the same one again this year.

This is the model that I used and the speed was great for an FCG. You may be able to find it cheaper somewhere else, but YMMV.

Amazon.com: Chauvet 5 rpm Mirror Ball Motor: Musical Instruments

The ghost that I made was just cheese cloth on some dowel rods linked with eye screws to make the chest/arms. I used a wig form with shoulders to mold some cheese cloth and use liquid starch to make the head and upper torso. I liked this version because then even the head was slightly transparent.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts