Halloween Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really I'd love to know! A few of my favourites are; Ice Cream Man, Dolls , An American Werewolf In London, Sleep Away Camp , Clown House, and Night Of The Demons. None of them were stereotypical 'scary' but something about that 80s/90s campy slasher flick feel always interests me. Guess it kinda reminds me of when I was younger and those type of things would scare me. Besides, the older stuff seems to have more character in my opinion.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,784 Posts
I'm a Hammer girl at heart.

I love the original Universal monsters, but never found Lugosi's Dracula that scary (FTR neither does Stephen King), but Christopher Lee's Dracula was real & in living color, blood red to be exact!

I think they took it to the next level because they couldn't use the stereotypical images since Universal owned those so they had to find a new way to portray Dracula, Frankenstein & the Mummy & all were Christopher Lee & way more terrifying than the originals IMHO.

They did their version of the Wolfman too but I don't think they did a Creature. Oliver Reed was a werewolf in Curse of the Werewolf & also scarier than Chaney.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Creature From The Black Lagoon/Revenge of the Creature
Them!
The Thing From Another Planet (Never thought it scary, but the acting and writing were superb!)
Don't Be Afraid of the Dark (1973)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Love seeing the appreciation for old classic Universal monster movies on here. Can never decide between the Creature from the Black Lagoon, the Mummy or Dracula.
If we're talking 1980's gotta say the Lost Boys and Monster Squad, Night of the Demons is always a good time too. Also Candyman, Hellraiser I & II. Now I'm craving pizza and a horror movie marathon.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Halloween, definitely. I just went and saw it at a midnight movie last night and the audience reaction was awesome, and made me love it even more.

Night of the Living Dead, Psycho, The Changeling

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,009 Posts
^see name and avatar for my true loves... :D

But some good ones that may not be as well known, in no particular order:

Night of the Comet
They Live
White Zombie
Terror Train
The Masque of Red Death
The Final Girls (it's a newer movie that is a funny nod to the old school camp slasher genre)
The Craft
Gingersnaps (newer film with old school vibe)

·
redrum
988 Posts
^see name and avatar for my true loves... :D

But some good ones that may not be as well known, in no particular order:

Night of the Comet
They Live
White Zombie
Terror Train
The Masque of Red Death
The Final Girls (it's a newer movie that is a funny nod to the old school camp slasher genre)
The Craft
Gingersnaps (newer film with old school vibe)
LOVE, LOVE LOVE Nigh t of the Comet!

First true scare was The Mummy (1932 vesion)
Then of course Frankenstein, Wolfman and Dracula

Then I became a teenager and a girl wanted to watch halloween on Halloween night...............Hooked!
Then Friday the 13th and every good and bad 80's and 90's slasher film!

·
Registered
675 Posts
Night Of The Living Dead, The Original Halloween, The Invasion Of The Body Snatchers, House On Haunted Hill, An American Werewolf In London, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Psycho, The Fury, Phantasm, When A Stranger Calls, Dawn Of The Dead, Piranha.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Dan Curtis' Dracula is so underrated. Palance's Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde is fantastic too. I confess I watch Svengooli just for his humor; I usually have better quality versions of the movies he shows and they're uncut :D

·
Registered
68 Posts
Dan Curtis' Dracula is so underrated. Palance's Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde is fantastic too. I confess I watch Svengooli just for his humor; I usually have better quality versions of the movies he shows and they're uncut :D
Yeah I watch it for the humor too. To be honest he is more entertaining than the movie sometimes! Makes me feel like it is Halloween whenever I watch it. I forgot to mention another great old school horror movie "The Blob" which I think has been shown on Svengooli.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Night of the Living Dead (of course), The Thing (John Carpenter), The Exorcist (Did an interview with Linda Blair years ago. Very sweet woman), American Werewolf in London (He's not a Pepper anymore), The Fly (1986), Poltergeist, Texas Chainsaw Massacre and many others.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts