Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We often talk about our favorite Halloween-related movies, but what about our favorite books? Fiction or non-fiction, ghost stories, novels, the history of our high-unholy-holiday - what's your favorite?

·
Crypto Hunter
1,282 Posts
Well right now I'm reading "American Monsters" by Linda Godfrey. It's not Halloweenish per se however it is about cryptids and one of my favorite subjects (as is evident by my avatar ;) )

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
13 HORRORS OF HALLOWEEN. Pick up a copy on Amazon or E-bay for cheap. You'll thank me. DARK HARVEST, BECOMING OCTOBER (extremely rare small press chapbook from William P. Simmons), and people have mentioned a few of mine before as well. ;)

·
AKA - S.M. Barrett
1,084 Posts
I'm often surprised how many of my fellow fiends have never sat down and read "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow." Irving's most famous work is a short read, and very entertaining.

On the non-fiction side, "Death makes a Holiday" by David Skal is a work I heavily recommend to any Halloween fan. Unlike some works on the holiday's history, Skal writes in a conversational way, and explores details often overlooked in the larger Halloween story.

·
Registered
963 Posts
There are a lot of books I love going back to. Most of them are older but they are from many different eras...here's a few that give me a warm fuzzy feeling:

"Strangely Enough!" by C. B. Colby
"Spooks and Spirits and Shadowy Shapes" by various
"Ghosts and Goblins" edited by Wilhelmina Harper
"Movie Monsters" by Alan Ormsby

·
Lady Of The Lake
2,730 Posts
I am reading The End Of Summer Thirteen Tales of Halloween by J. Tonzelli. We have had a few of the book threads over the past month and HalloweenJon recommended it. It is pretty scary. My 11 year old niece usually reads my Halloween themed books when ive finished them but this one is a bit to scary for her. Its pretty great!

A few of my favs....

Wicked by Gregory Maguire
A Haunted Halloween by our very own Paul Melniczek
The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson
and of course The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, Dracula and Edgar Allan Poe

These titles are on my to read list:

Collected Ghost Stories by M.R.James
The Campfire Collection Spine Tingling Tales to Tell in the Dark by Eric B. Martin
Trick or Treat A Collection of Halloween Novellas by Richard Chizmar
Tales from a Gas Lit Graveyard by Hugh Lamb
Dark Harvest by Norman Partridge
and Once Upon a Halloween by Richard Laymon

You guys should check out goodreads.com They also have a phone app that is so super helpful when you are in the bookstore, you can get book reviews in seconds and save titles that you see in the store on your app. I just cant say enough about that website and app. They also have a feature where you rate books and then the site recommends like books to you. I just love it. If you are a book reader you should check it out.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Hmm.. it's not specifically a Halloween book, and it's more of a short story than a book anyway, but I've always associated "The Monkey's Paw" with Halloween spookiness. It's by W.W Jacobs and I highly recommend it. Don't read any spoilers! It's a quick read and worth not knowing what will happen!

You can read it in full here ~
http://americanliterature.com/author/w-w-jacobs/short-story/the-monkeys-paw

I also will have to come back to this thread after we get out our Halloween bins. We have a good number of children's Halloween books and I'd love to recommend some in case anyone has kiddos to buy for. One that I bought this year is "Goodnight Goons" which is a bit of a parody of the popular kid's book "Goodnight Moon". It's really funny & my kiddos are going to enjoy it.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Here are some of my Halloween titles along with 13 HORRORS OF HALLOWEEN. While I'm not in that anthology, I share the table of contents with one of the authors Al Sarrantonio in BAD CANDY. A few of these titles are out of print, and one of them, "Devoured", is a digital download from Cemetery Dance.

Attachments

·
Ridin' The Storm Out
1,076 Posts
My favorites are Something Wicked This Way Comes and The Halloween Tree, both by Ray Bradbury, and Dracula by Bram Stoker, of course.

Admittedly, though, I haven't managed to get my hands on too many Halloween-related books, as yet.

Oh! I forgot! The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman. And Monsters in the Movies by John Landis. (Yes, that John Landis.)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts