Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to transform my porch into a castle or dungeon theme. Right know I have a couple silk flame torches on my posts that support the covered porch. I have a Witch stirring a cauldron on the porch with some spiders cob webs etc. I want to use foam panels and make them look like brick and cover the porch and posts. I know how to use tools to make the foam look like brick and then paint it, but was wondering about using faux brick wallpaper instead. It would cost more, but would save a lot of time. has anyone used this wallpaper to create a similar effect? https://www.amazon.com/Blooming-Wall-Wallpaper-Livingroom-Bedroom/dp/B01MR86ZDB?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_13.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well maybe I spoke, or typed too soon. After reading some of the reviews it seems matching the brick pattern is difficult and the color of the paper doesn't always match.
Guess I will just spend some time making the brick pattern with a heat gun and tools. Probably will look better in the long run.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Well maybe I spoke, or typed too soon. After reading some of the reviews it seems matching the brick pattern is difficult and the color of the paper doesn't always match.
Guess I will just spend some time making the brick pattern with a heat gun and tools. Probably will look better in the long run.
You're right regarding both problems. Foam is more durable as well, up to a point anyway. It's a tedious pain in the butt but once it's done, it's done.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You're right regarding both problems. Foam is more durable as well, up to a point anyway. It's a tedious pain in the butt but once it's done, it's done.
Yes. I spent long hours last year in a hot garage making tombstones, and they turned out great. They will hopefully last for years to come.:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hollywood Haunter did a video using rectangles of 0.25" plywood to make a brick-looking surface. It doesn't look great and obviously is more suited for a neat, uniform non-distressed look, but may be faster, cheaper, sturdier for a large area.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Chalk line, Dremel tool and have fun. I know as haunters we want everything to look amazing and we are our worst critics. I don't always have a ton of time to make everything prefect but getting close and in the dim lighting of Halloween everything looks good. I'm not saying do a bad job but most people don't pay attention to the details. They know what it's suppose to look like and they miss the mistakes. I think the foam would look better as there is more texture than the wall paper. Another option is the brick paneling, they sell it at Lowes and HD. It would quick, easy and durable especially if you think a lot of people may be touching it. Foam would be my first choice though

·
Registered
16 Posts
I want to transform my porch into a castle or dungeon theme. Right know I have a couple silk flame torches on my posts that support the covered porch. I have a Witch stirring a cauldron on the porch with some spiders cob webs etc. I want to use foam panels and make them look like brick and cover the porch and posts. I know how to use tools to make the foam look like brick and then paint it, but was wondering about using faux brick wallpaper instead. It would cost more, but would save a lot of time. has anyone used this wallpaper to create a similar effect? https://www.amazon.com/Blooming-Wall-Wallpaper-Livingroom-Bedroom/dp/B01MR86ZDB?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_13.
To do brick I just simply take a brick and trace it on foam and then move it over and trace again leaving a mortar joint space. Take a regular saw and cut along lines and snap out the area where the mortar is supposed to be. To paint I get a paper plate and put a large dab of the following Latex colors you can buy in art supply store. Black, White, Sienna, Burnt Sienna, Ochre, Brown Umber, Buff (skin color). Paint bricks using these colors and mixing the colors together to vary the colors, add a bit of black or white to make shade darker or lighter. Make sure paint is pretty watery when you mix paint have a large glass of water to make paint pretty fluid. When done go back and paint joints dirty gray. When paint is dry take a spray bottle and put about 2-3 table spoons of black latex paint in it and fill the rest with water. Shake it well and spray onto bricks from the top letting it run down. If you want more depth do same with white paint then black again to really weather it. If you look at old bricks they have lots of subtle different colors in them so DON"T paint the brick a solid color. Paint the brick with a bit of Burnt Sienna and then dab brush in Ochre and use the brush to kinda mix the colors together. Do the same with each brick mixing different combinations so the bricks are all different shades.
Wall paper will look very fake and flat even in darker light.

Attachments

·
Registered
940 Posts
There are various faux brick options out there, but none of them are particularly convincing; and as you mentioned, they're more costly than using foam. They also have the disadvantage of not being waterproof without a great deal of varnish or other coatings that leave them looking even more fake than the original finish. Foam does take more time to get the look of real brick, but the end result is that it does look like real brick, not something resembling brick.

Our props that have foam brick on them hold up year after year without any water damage and were actually a lot of fun to make. And since we got the foam, wood, plastic backing, and paint for free, they cost us next to nothing. We paid only for the hardware and glue to put it all together. The savings are substantial over making it from a pre-made brick.

Making fake brick from foam is a time-honored tradition for haunters. There's a reason you see that approach in professional haunts and not the hardboard stuff. Then again, come Halloween night, it will be dark and who knows what kids will see on their dash to get candy? We think the extra time and effort is worth it. Others don't. Funny thing is we're both right.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for all the replies. I am going to make my own out of foam panels. Have the technique down solid. I made 12 tombstones last year, and have all the tools I need. I was just looking for a faster option. I have so many things I want to make this year, and not sure I will get to all of them. Seems like a common theme here at the forum.:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts