Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

Last year I recalled seeing several posts talking about a Fates Game but I can't remember how they started the game. Does anyone remember or know if it's a stop the party or do you give out numbers at the first of the party? I've racked my brains and I can't think of a good way to start it. If the party is buzzing I'd hate to bust the buzz by stopping everything but if someone is supposed to doing a fate people will want to see it?? Any thoughts or links on how the games are played will be a huge help.

Thanks,
GiggleingGhost aka GG

·
Registered
718 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hi GG-

I did Tempt Your Fate AND the Winking Game last year and everyone participated and LOVED playing both games!

I will definitely do both again this year. So for TYF, I explained the rules twice, once when most were here and again after the first balloon was popped (we had a few more stragglers show up by that point). I basically told everyone that there were 20 balloons, some were good, and some bad. They were able to choose whether or not they wanted to play. It took about 10 mins and we had our first balloon popped.

I had tied a "bloody daggar" to a counter in the kitchen, which was the main party area, and guests had to use it to pop balloons. That way, they couldn't do it in a corner or outside where nobody could see them do their fate. It worked out really well. I only missed one because I ran outside to pull my fog machines.

I would definitely suggest having guests pop the balloon in a creative and consistent way, in a designated location. :)

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
I have a cool looking hand/arm that is a battery operated spooky door knocker. We have it on the back door which is at the junction of the main room/dining and food area and is the door to the screened in porch. This is a high visibility area. Guests are told about the Tempt Your Fate Game and that they must push the button on the door knocker when they want to play. They then grab a Fate from the cauldron of fate. It sits and simmers and brews all night and has both good and bad fates in it. They must perform and announce their fate at that time. Lots of fun and is an ongoing game all night. Never a dull moment and I have been known to encourage people to Tempt Your Fate when things are slow. I have even had a witch hovering over the cauldron of effect, too

·
Registered
134 Posts
I did this game for the first time last year. The way I did it is I set up a fortune tellers table and used a fish bowl for a "crystal ball". I wrote out good and bad fates on slips of paper that I folded into stars and put the stars in the fish bowl. I verbally explained the game to guests as I greeted them as well as posting a sign near the table. Guests were allowed to pull a fate (paper star) from the crystal ball whenever they chose. :)

I did miss a few people doing their fates because it wasn't in a central location. This year I will definitely move the set-up into a central location so I (and other guests) don't miss out on any of the fun.

I will also be doing a kids version and an adults version. The kids at the party pulled more fates than the rest of the guests put together and I had put in a few alcohol related fates that got pulled by kids. Ooops!! :eek:

I also plan on wrapping the prizes and numbering them as well as their corresponding stars. This will make it easier for guests to get their prizes without needing to find me every time. It made it hard to be a good hostess when I was being interrupted every few minutes to get someone a prize. I didn't really have a chance to socialize.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
GG, I did that as one of my games last year. How I did it was at certain time intervals I would ring an old fashioned hotel desk bell and the first one to get me played the game that time. I put all of the fates in balloons and had them pop the balloons to get their fates. Everyone had a blast with it! Here is one of the threads on here:

http://www.halloweenforum.com/party-ideas-experiences-and-recipes/70989-tempt-your-fate-party-game.html
Great! I love the slips you made up and I'd like to use them if I may. So cool! Thanks.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi GG-

I did Tempt Your Fate AND the Winking Game last year and everyone participated and LOVED playing both games!

I will definitely do both again this year. So for TYF, I explained the rules twice, once when most were here and again after the first balloon was popped (we had a few more stragglers show up by that point). I basically told everyone that there were 20 balloons, some were good, and some bad. They were able to choose whether or not they wanted to play. It took about 10 mins and we had our first balloon popped.

I had tied a "bloody daggar" to a counter in the kitchen, which was the main party area, and guests had to use it to pop balloons. That way, they couldn't do it in a corner or outside where nobody could see them do their fate. It worked out really well. I only missed one because I ran outside to pull my fog machines.

I would definitely suggest having guests pop the balloon in a creative and consistent way, in a designated location. :)
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh I LOVE the bloody dagar tip. Oh yes I see a bloody dagar in my future! What a good idea and I agree that putting them in the main party area is a good idea. Wow this is going to be so much fun with my group of friends and relatives. Thanks!

GG

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a cool looking hand/arm that is a battery operated spooky door knocker. We have it on the back door which is at the junction of the main room/dining and food area and is the door to the screened in porch. This is a high visibility area. Guests are told about the Tempt Your Fate Game and that they must push the button on the door knocker when they want to play. They then grab a Fate from the cauldron of fate. It sits and simmers and brews all night and has both good and bad fates in it. They must perform and announce their fate at that time. Lots of fun and is an ongoing game all night. Never a dull moment and I have been known to encourage people to Tempt Your Fate when things are slow. I have even had a witch hovering over the cauldron of effect, too
What a great idea! I really like the idea of the door knocker and having the area decorated like that. It would really add to the mystery of the game and I like the idea of the game lasting all night. Cool!! Thanks!

GG

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did this game for the first time last year. The way I did it is I set up a fortune tellers table and used a fish bowl for a "crystal ball". I wrote out good and bad fates on slips of paper that I folded into stars and put the stars in the fish bowl. I verbally explained the game to guests as I greeted them as well as posting a sign near the table. Guests were allowed to pull a fate (paper star) from the crystal ball whenever they chose. :)

I did miss a few people doing their fates because it wasn't in a central location. This year I will definitely move the set-up into a central location so I (and other guests) don't miss out on any of the fun.

I will also be doing a kids version and an adults version. The kids at the party pulled more fates than the rest of the guests put together and I had put in a few alcohol related fates that got pulled by kids. Ooops!! :eek:

I also plan on wrapping the prizes and numbering them as well as their corresponding stars. This will make it easier for guests to get their prizes without needing to find me every time. It made it hard to be a good hostess when I was being interrupted every few minutes to get someone a prize. I didn't really have a chance to socialize.
I'm glad you mentioned numbering/wrapping the prizes. I'm trying really hard to have everything pulled together so I won't have be pulled away all the time too like last year. I want to be a hostess that gets to enjoy the party and visit with everybody. I laughed really hard when I read about having a few stars with alcohol games where kids might get them. Whoops! That sounds like something I'd do too! Lol. Great ideas!! Man this game sounds like so much fun! Thanks for sharing. :cool:

GG

·
Registered
164 Posts
What do you use for your bubbling cauldron? I like this idea but don't want to mess with dry ice when people are putting their hands in and paper could get wet.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I've just generally used a black plastic Halloween cauldron, and inserted the paper strips inside it with the fates folded up.

I had done balloons before as well, but it became too impractical with them scattered throughout the house, then more clean-up, and added cost to boot.

Plus, a mobile small cauldron allows me to take it around to people as well who may be out back, in the kitchen, etc, so as to get everyone involved in the game.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts