Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I am trying to find out a fast motor for a few props. I know the wiper motors are pretty fast but they are too heavy.
Any suggestions appreciated.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Hello I am trying to find out a fast motor for a few props. I know the wiper motors are pretty fast but they are too heavy.
Any suggestions appreciated.
To answer that question, you need to provide info on the type of prop. As a general rule, a fast lightweight motor usually lacks torque.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey, I am going to make my own version of the cagey clown Cagey The Clown With Animated Girl Prop and need a motor for the girl. I will use a doll so there would not be much weight.
I plan on using a wiper motor for the clown but it is too heavy for the girl.
Thanks.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Probably gonna take trial and error to see what gives you the speed/torque that you need. Not sure what you are going to use for motor control but I would probably use a servo for this.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Most motors are much too fast for anything you would use on a prop. That is why they are geared down. Then, the question is how fast, and how much force do you need. A cheap toy motor that is running off of an AA battery is easily capable of moving a 100 pound load.... but it will have to do it very slowly. At the same time, a $200 1 horse power AC motor could be to weak for the same 100 pound load, if it is not properly geared.

And "as fast as possible" should be translate to "as fast a necessary, with the amount of money I am willing to spend".

How much force, how fast, and how much money?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Almost forgot... how are you going to control this motor? That is a major part of the design as well.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The doll would not be that heavy of course and I was looking at 60rpm. I usualy use vent motors but they are too slow.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Sorry, I overlooked the message with your link to the clown prop. I would think that a windshield wiper motor would be good for something like this. And since they are commodity items, they are very cost effective. Can you move the motor somewhere else, so the weight is not where it is a problem? Perhaps into the Clown's body, then link the motor to the doll with a rod.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I use the wiper motors verry often also. I was going to use the wiper motor for the clown side to side motion and a separate motor for the girl motion under her dress. The wiper motor for the clown will be on top of where the waist is.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I would go with the wiper motor, they run just shy of 60 rpm unless you run them at a slightly higher voltage. I would find a way to add support to the girl doll like metal rods or PVC to make the girl support the weight. If you believe the motor is still to heavy, comb through ebay. I can usually find unique motors on there. One other place I can recommend is surpluscenter.com. Lots of surplus motors.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts