Halloween Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
20,817 Posts
Neat, though overpriced, as others have said. After spending hundreds of thousands (which is insane), I guess that he truly has no other choice if he hopes to recover the costs and make a slight profit:rolleyes:

·
Registered
14,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
HEADS UP SAM'S CLUB MEMBERS...Pumpkinsteins coming your way!

He's still out there growing Frankensteins!

Just saw a story this morning on CNBC's Squawk on the Street's segment at the end of the show about revisiting Tony Dighera's (Cinagro Farms) Frankenstein pumpkins again. Tony said he produced 5,000 of them in 2014. Then Sam's Club saw the pumpkins last year and decided they wanted to get in on selling them to Club members and Russ Mounce (Sam's Club Floral/Produce) talked Tony into massively scaling up his production for this year and Tony's orders jumped this year to 90,000. Russ had to convince Tony to get the price of them down quite a bit so that Sam's Club can sell them for less than $30. Dang, don't live near a Sam's Club anymore but sending a shout out to those that do to start looking for them.

BTW in case you will be looking for these at your Sam's Club, CNBC showed the boxed Frankstein head pumpkins on the set and they come in a tall black box with white print and cutouts to see the head features.

Tony said the extra time and effort went into ramping up for this year and he couldn't quite get some of his other projects ready as a result. Next year he's on track to do a white pumpkin skull mold. Cool!

Here's a link CNBC has up right now on the Pumpkinsteins. It's a bit different, more inclusive of background info and interviews, than what was shown on the SOTS segment this morning. http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000430760

·
Registered
14,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Apparently CNBC is doing multiple segments on this Farmer and his Pumpkinsteins today. Just saw another one during Power Lunch. This segment had Tony talking about how he developed a 4-part mold so that you could have something like a hooked nose or something that grew out and downward, remember you have to be able to take the mold off once you're ready to harvest. He said he is leasing out his molds to nearby farmers so they too can grow them.

All this sounds great to me. The more pumpkins growing, hopeful that means more places carrying them and lower prices for us end users. At $90-100 a piece, pretty much corporations, event planners, and those who can see spending $100 on a disposable item will be buying them.

It sounded to me like there will be at least one more segment on him. They've been showing this very large pumpkin that was grown as a fluke and it has a head partially coming out of the pumpkin as opposed to the whole pumpkin being a head. I also think they were going to discuss what California's heat wave (and maybe drought) do to pumpkins. It's possible CNBC's website will have additional video segments posted by this afternoon.

·
Registered
14,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Think I caught the last segment today they are doing on Tony and his Pumpkinsteins. Man these guys at CNBC like him and or Sam's Club I guess. They even said at the end of the piece that they need to get this guy to come to the station.

The segment aired during Closing Bell. Tony said about 20% of his crop exploded in their molds due to the 100 degree temps. The CNBC on-location reporter said the exploded pumpkins looked cool because they kind of looked like they had a melted face in spots. She thought they could even sell some of those the way there were. Too bad they didn't get footage of it....the station guys did ask. LOL.

When asked how they got from 5,000 to 90,000 pumpkins, they said that Sam's Club rounded up their farms that supply their produce and enlisted them growing these pumpkins. They paid for the leasing of the molds. Tony still makes money off of them that way.

The CNBC staff asked if maybe Tony was thinking of selling the molds to consumers to raise their own or if that would be deemed cutting into Tony's profits and the reporter didn't really answer I don't think but said that the guy has a lot of ideas of what projects to tackle next.

As for the pumpkin that had a face growing out of one side of it, that the reporter said happened when the mold popped and one side stayed on forming the face while the rest of the pumpkin formed as normal. She said lots of people like that version even better.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts