Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What, if any, are things that you and your family do every year for Halloween? My family and I (I'm 62 now) have several traditions that we try to include every October. We have a local pumpkin patch that we've been going to for decades, we schedule our visit so that everyone in the family can come, usually the 1st or 2nd Saturday of October. Two years ago, I managed to get a photo of our 4 grandkids all together in the patch. They're aged 13 to 2 years old now, so that photo means a lot to me.
We also have a tradition of getting together a couple of nights before Halloween in one of our garages and carve our jack-o-lanterns together. We'll listen to the music from NIGHTMARE BEFORE X-MAS while we're doing it, and the grandkids get to carve their own pumpkins, it's cool. When I was going full speed haunting our own home, I'd put out as many as 30-40 jack-o-lanterns every year, this is how I did it, the whole family helped.
The other tradition is that we get together as a family, usually for dinner, and then we watch IT'S THE GREAT PUMPKIN CHARLIE BROWN. We all love that cartoon, and so do the grandkids. I remember watching it as a kid, and I remember it being sponsored by "Dolly Madison" snack cakes, anybody else remember that? We'll also watch "nightmare" either that night, or on Halloween night.
If you don't have any family traditions, maybe this year it's time to start some. Just a thought,

MR. MACABRE

Typical Ghoul Next Door
We watch the Universal Monsters (of course). Also Monster House and Charlie Brown.
I used to go to the haunted house right down the road just a few miles, but since they relocated to waaaaaay far away from me, we don't make it to many of them now. :(

Registered
We go to the local pumpkin patch, hayrides, etc. A newer tradition that our daughter started with us is watching Over the Garden Wall every year.

My birthday is a week after Halloween, so I had a lot of costume birthday parties growing up. My toddler shares my birthday, so fingers crossed that Halloween birthday parties are a tradition we'll continue when he gets old enough.

Registered
Usually my family decorates their houses around Labor Day weekend and we start off the season with The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown along with Garfield's Halloween episode. We can't forget all of the great Halloween episodes of Home Improvement, those have always been a favorite of ours. Then it's going to apple orchards to go picking apples, pumpkins. My wife and I finally planted a garden this past spring and we planted 16 pumpkin plants. I'm so excited for the fall harvest of all our pumpkins! Just something about watching the pumpkins growing during the summer and picking the perfect time for their harvest seems to quintessential to me.

Registered
My daughter and I always go around shopping at to see all the Halloween stuff. We start decorating inside in August. We go to a local pumpkin patch with a group of our friends. We do a get together at one of my friends house to carve pumpkins, have a bon fire, we all bring food and listen to Halloween music. We put out our display October 1st. We watch scary movies usually every nite in October. Fall is our most favorite time of year!!!

Registered
My kids are DD9 and DS7, and they've been helping us decorate our yard display since they could crawl around. Each year they get bigger & better with ideas, and they usually start talking around late summer about possibilities they'd like to see for the coming display. Before the pandemic, my husband worked out of state and would be gone for 5-6 days a week, so we always had a rule that no one could go to the Spirit store until we made our first visit as a family. DH has been working at home now, but that's still true - the 4 of us go together to Spirit not long after it opens, and then usually I take the kids multiple times afterwards because they just like to look at everything in person and browse costumes too. Thinking about & planning costumes is very deliberate work around here!

My husband's family is big, and there's usually a date we go to pick apples at a farm that has a corn maze, hayrides & pumpkins, and often a good number of aunts/uncles/cousins show up, so that's always a treat. We watch a lot of fall/Halloween movies together, and we get a little scarier each year. Coraline, Nightmare Before Christmas, Hocus Pocus, Harry Potter, The Worst Witch (the OG version) and Scooby Doo are always favorites. I think we might be ready for Beetlejuice this year, so I'm looking forward to that!

We also like to shop for props, make Halloween-themed treats, decorate inside, invite my sister's kids over for a Halloween visit/photo in costumes, and look at pictures/videos of other people's displays here on the forum and on the internet in general. And of course - we go driving around to see displays in other neighborhoods too! A house up the street from us and one a couple blocks away also do a decent-sized haunts, so we make a point of walking or driving by a few times a week to say hello & check out what they're putting out, and it's been a good way to get to know a lot of neighbors as they track our progress too.

One thing I miss already - a local grocery store usually does a Trick or Treat costume event for kids that was super cute - they had a map and various treat spots, and each department in the store would do a pumpkin that the kids could vote on which was the best, and then you could go have some cider & donuts in their community area. My kids loved it and we couldn't go last year because of the pandemic since it was cancelled, but this year they are saying they think they are too old. It is usually younger kids who go but as a mom, I did love taking them to that!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We go to the local pumpkin patch, hayrides, etc. A newer tradition that our daughter started with us is watching Over the Garden Wall every year.

My birthday is a week after Halloween, so I had a lot of costume birthday parties growing up. My toddler shares my birthday, so fingers crossed that Halloween birthday parties are a tradition we'll continue when he gets old enough.
Cool, our grandson's birthday is Oct. 30th, the day before. He'll be 5 this year, so nothing too spooky, but as he gets older, I plan on ramping it up, hopefully.

Registered
When my kids were young (1980's) we would always have to watch the usual holiday shows charlie brown / garfields halloween then we also discovered witchs night out ( my avatar) it fast became a tradition as a must see during the season. trick or treating we lived in a small town and it was always a time we would go by to see family and friends ( with the kids in costume ) . My grandmother actually lived in the local cemetery ( in a mobile home trailer ) as my grandfather worked for the cemetery as the caretaker. After my grandfather passed my grandmother took on the role. So we would go to the cemetery to trick or treat grandma!

Registered
With my son leaving for the military this year, I guess my hubby and I will start new traditions. My son used to help me put up the outside decorations. This year I'll go basic and simple and hit up haunted houses for Halloween night馃巸.

Registered
Apparently I have quite a few. 馃槄

My mother and I always go to the stores to see what all is new for the year and then go back after the season is over to try to get some really good deals. It's especially nice to stock up on non candy handouts and treat bags when they're on sale.

I used to spend the nights before Trick or Treat putting together goodie bags for kids, but didn't get to last year(or probably this year) because of a certain world event.

I put up my Halloween village on Sep 1st and then spend the next 2 weeks setting up the rest of the decorations.

Halloween movies on the weekends with spooky snacks and cozy themed blankets. Nightmare before Christmas gets watched on Halloween day, of course.

I always get a mix of Pillsbury Halloween funfetti cupcakes to make in October.

I'd love to start one with my boyfriend, for us to go pick out pumpkins to carve but we've never been able to get around to doing it yet. Maybe this year!

Registered
Our Halloween traditions are:

Visit local Glass Pumpkin Patch.
Display lighted Halloween Arch in front of condo with Hilda Witch & Gordy Pumpkin visible in the front window.
Pass out Play-doh & candy to the Trick or Treaters.
Enjoy Scary Movie Saturdays during the month of October. Watch the Fog & Maximum Overdrive on Halloween night.
Enjoy Halloween shopping with my Mom & husband who thankfully are very supportive of my love of Halloween. & Enjoy spending time on this forum with people who love Halloween too!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Registered
My wife's birthday is in October and she always wants to watch Hocus Pocus on her birthday, that or Nightmare Before Christmas both came out the year we were married. In mid September we start decorating the house and set our Halloween village up. The weekend before Halloween our family carves pumpkins and Halloween night since I was a kid we would have sloppy joes for dinner.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My wife's birthday is in October and she always wants to watch Hocus Pocus on her birthday, that or Nightmare Before Christmas both came out the year we were married. In mid September we start decorating the house and set our Halloween village up. The weekend before Halloween our family carves pumpkins and Halloween night since I was a kid we would have sloppy joes for dinner.
That's cool and kind of different, having the same meal every year. We did something similar when we could all get together on Halloween night, we were always so busy setting everything set up, the we would always get fast-food take out for dinner. Usually Jack-in-the- box.

Registered
Hellbilly Holler in Phoenix, AZ
Our traditions are changing every year as my niece gets older. My sister and her family always went to the pumpkin patch for the hayride and to pick out pumpkins for Jack O鈥 Lanterns. It takes me 6 weeks to set up so I usually do nothing but that until I am ready to turn the lights on for the lighting test. Then I spend one or two nights readjusting then lights until I am happy with the set up. My haunt is open 2 weeks before Halloween. Our neighbors cone hang out either on Halloween, the night before, or both and we have a bonfire. We live in Phoenix so the trick or treating has never been that good to begin with. I built my haunt mainly so my niece and her friends would have a place to hang out rather than walk miles through a dark neighborhood.

Registered
Ever since my kids started trick or treating we take them out on Halloween night to do some trick or treating for an hour or so and then come home to order pizza and watch "It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown." They turn 14 this year, so I'm not sure how much longer it will last, but it's how we've spent every Halloween and I love that we have it as a tradition.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ever since my kids started trick or treating we take them out on Halloween night to do some trick or treating for an hour or so and then come home to order pizza and watch "It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown." They turn 14 this year, so I'm not sure how much longer it will last, but it's how we've spent every Halloween and I love that we have it as a tradition.
You're never too old to watch "the great pumpkin", I'm 62 now, and we still watch it with the kids and grandkids every year.

Registered
What, if any, are things that you and your family do every year for Halloween? My family and I (I'm 62 now) have several traditions that we try to include every October. We have a local pumpkin patch that we've been going to for decades, we schedule our visit so that everyone in the family can come, usually the 1st or 2nd Saturday of October. Two years ago, I managed to get a photo of our 4 grandkids all together in the patch. They're aged 13 to 2 years old now, so that photo means a lot to me.
We also have a tradition of getting together a couple of nights before Halloween in one of our garages and carve our jack-o-lanterns together. We'll listen to the music from NIGHTMARE BEFORE X-MAS while we're doing it, and the grandkids get to carve their own pumpkins, it's cool. When I was going full speed haunting our own home, I'd put out as many as 30-40 jack-o-lanterns every year, this is how I did it, the whole family helped.
The other tradition is that we get together as a family, usually for dinner, and then we watch IT'S THE GREAT PUMPKIN CHARLIE BROWN. We all love that cartoon, and so do the grandkids. I remember watching it as a kid, and I remember it being sponsored by "Dolly Madison" snack cakes, anybody else remember that? We'll also watch "nightmare" either that night, or on Halloween night.
If you don't have any family traditions, maybe this year it's time to start some. Just a thought,

MR. MACABRE

MR. MACABRE
Not a whole lot of "traditions," per se. However we do convert our garage into a Halloween-themed venue for our yearly "After-TOT Party" where our neighborhood friends gather for drinks, appetizers & a bonfire.

Aside from that my son, now 18 y/o & college bound, has been my go-to Halloween
"helper" since he was a toddler.
When we'd go to buy pumpkins he'd want a 60-70lb giant, like mine, so the rule became "If you can lift it into the cart, it's yours;" that rule remains in place to this day... In fact, as his pumpkin carving skills improved, from basic grinning jack-o-lanterns to detailed Dremel-assisted masterpieces, he eventually matched (surpassed?) my skills & has since taken over the pumpkin carving duties entirely.
He was also very interested in creating props for - as well as setting-up - our ever-expanding yard display. While I always enjoyed his enthusiasm, when he finally made the jump from "wanting to" to actually being "able to" help - several years ago - it was a fine day, indeed!
Honestly? The past few years he's been essential in building & maintaining our props (tombstones, fencing, a full-sized mausoleum w/FCG, Cauldron Creep, corpsed skellys, fence-shaking zombies, etc.) and I'm genuinely concerned about how I'm gonna get it all done, by myself, this year...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Not a whole lot of "traditions," per se. However we do convert our garage into a Halloween-themed venue for our yearly "After-TOT Party" where our neighborhood friends gather for drinks, appetizers & a bonfire.

Aside from that my son, now 18 y/o & college bound, has been my go-to Halloween
"helper" since he was a toddler.
When we'd go to buy pumpkins he'd want a 60-70lb giant, like mine, so the rule became "If you can lift it into the cart, it's yours;" it remains in place to this day... In fact, as his pumpkin carving skills improved, from basic grinning jack-o-lanterns to detailed Dremel-assisted masterpieces, he eventually matched (surpassed?) my skills & has since taken over the pumpkin carving duties entirely.
He was also very interested in creating props for - as well as setting-up - our ever-expanding yard display. While I always enjoyed his enthusiasm, when he finally made the jump from "wanting to" to actually being "able to" help - several years ago - it was a fine day, indeed!
Honestly? The past few years he's been essential in building & maintaining our props (tombstones, fencing, a full-sized mausoleum w/FCG, Cauldron Creep, corpsed skellys/zombies, etc.) and I'm genuinely concerned about how I'm gonna get it all done, by myself, this year...
Good luck.

Registered
We spend a day going to the pumpkin patch and then watch a Charlie Brown and Garfield Halloween specials. We orderpizza. After the little kids go to bed we show a spooky movie to the teens.
We also have an annual Halloween party were about 60 people come.

Registered
About a week before Halloween all my daughters who live in the area (3 of them) and their boyfriends/SO come to our place to carve pumpkins. I cook a big batch of chili and we watch Hocus Pocus and Ghostbusters while we carve. Halloween night the neighbor always has a Halloween party in conjunction with our haunt (he does a haunted house in his garage, we do a haunted path behind his house to my graveyard), and again the family shows up in costume to wander between the 2 houses, scare ToTs and help hand out candy.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts