Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would love to hear if any of you have any recipes you like to break out for this time of year or just any you've tried and liked!

Pumpkin or Apple cookies, cakes, pies, drinks or anything else!

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
The wife got up early this morning and baked a batch of Pumpkin Raisin Pecan muffins. Was a nice cool 62 degrees outside, had the sliding doors open, the bluejays were cawing, coffee was brewing. Starting to seem like Fall!

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I love to make (and eat!) pumpkin dip at this time of year! The recipe I have makes a lot, so it's a bit better for a crowd, but you could always halve it.

1 tub cool-whip
1 package cream cheese, room temp
1 can pure pumpkin
confectioner's sugar
cinnamon, nutmeg or ginger, if you choose

Make sure the cream cheese is softened, and blend it with the pumpkin. You can use a spoon or a handmixer. Then fold in the cool-whip. Taste it with a different spoon - if you prefer things less sweet, it might be good just the way it is now. If not, shake a bit of confectioner's sugar into a SEPERATE bowl first, then whisk it up to break up any clumps before mixing some into your pumpkin mixture. Add confectioner's sugar slowly, to taste. Sprinkle on cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger or extra pumpkin pie spice if you like.

We like to hollow out a pumpkin for the bowl, and then we'll serve the dip with sliced apples (you can soak sliced apples in sprite or water with lemon juice to prevent them from browning), ginger snaps (yum!), cinnamon graham sticks, big marshmallows (get the giant roasting ones!), chunks of pumpkin or apple bread, or even small oatmeal raisin cookies. You can also spread the mixture on toast & bagels or mix it into plain yogurt.

It always makes me feel like I'm immersed in FALL when I eat it. :D

·
Registered
865 Posts
I love to make (and eat!) pumpkin dip at this time of year! The recipe I have makes a lot, so it's a bit better for a crowd, but you could always halve it.

1 tub cool-whip
1 package cream cheese, room temp
1 can pure pumpkin
confectioner's sugar
cinnamon, nutmeg or ginger, if you choose

Make sure the cream cheese is softened, and blend it with the pumpkin. You can use a spoon or a handmixer. Then fold in the cool-whip. Taste it with a different spoon - if you prefer things less sweet, it might be good just the way it is now. If not, shake a bit of confectioner's sugar into a SEPERATE bowl first, then whisk it up to break up any clumps before mixing some into your pumpkin mixture. Add confectioner's sugar slowly, to taste. Sprinkle on cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger or extra pumpkin pie spice if you like.

We like to hollow out a pumpkin for the bowl, and then we'll serve the dip with sliced apples (you can soak sliced apples in sprite or water with lemon juice to prevent them from browning), ginger snaps (yum!), cinnamon graham sticks, big marshmallows (get the giant roasting ones!), chunks of pumpkin or apple bread, or even small oatmeal raisin cookies. You can also spread the mixture on toast & bagels or mix it into plain yogurt.

It always makes me feel like I'm immersed in FALL when I eat it. :D
Sounds delicious!!! A must make - thanks!

·
Registered
865 Posts
I made a Chunky Cowboy Chili for the Wicked West haunting one year that people are still talking about!

I can't remember where I found it online so my apologies to the chef who devised this recipe. Sorry I can't give you credit for this pot of yummy:

3 Tablespoons olive oil
1 onion chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 lbs stew beef, bite sized cubes
2 lbs sausage meat
1 can (28 oz) whole tomatoes
2 can (6 oz) tomato paste
3 Tablespoons Chipotle chili powder
2 teaspoons cumin
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon sugar
*optional* 4 oz dark beer or ale
1 can (15 oz) baked beans
1 can (14 oz) kidney beans
1 can (15 oz) pinto beans

1) In a deep pot, heat the oil on medium. Add the onions and garlic, cooking just until soft

2) Add the beef and sausage and cook until all pink is gone. Stir and break up sausage to cook evenly.

3) Pour the whole tomatoes into a bowl and hand crush them, then add to the meat in the pot, along with the tomato paste, chipotle powder, cumin, cocoa, salt, sugar, baked beans and beer (if using)

4) Stir, cover the pot and simmer on low for about 2 hours. Stir occasionally and add a ittle water if needed

5) Stir in the kidney beans and pinto beans and continue to coo for about another 30 minutes. The beef should be very tender

I made it the day before and reheated it before the party. It tastes even better after the flavours have had a day to deepen. It also freezes very well (although that's not my thing). It can be reheated until bubbly hot on the stove or in the oven at 350 F.

Serve with hot bread and fresh butter and/or tortilla chips. You need a strong beverage to hold up to it like the dark beer or ale recommended in the recipe.[

Also, feel free to add more or less spice, beans, or whatever. It depends on how much your crowd likes the heat.

This is great to serve a crowd and especially if you're doing a western Halloween theme!

·
Registered
502 Posts
I'm always on the quest for the perfect pumpkin bread recipe.....that gets me in the fall mood really fast! So far this is one of my faves.....

http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/delicious-pumpkin-bread

However, I use applesauce instead of the oil, pumpkin spice instead of the cinnamon, wheat flour instead of the all-purpose, and a bit less sugar than the recipe calls for (I do sprinkle cinnamon sugar on top of the loaves when I take them out of the oven).....oh, & I've had luck changing out the pudding mix flavors (chocolate or butterscotch for the vanilla) - works out great!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Apple Streusel Brownies:

Batter
◦½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
◦1 cup sugar
◦1 egg
◦2 medium apples, peeled and diced
◦⅔ cup chopped pecans
◦1 cup all-purpose flour
◦1 teaspoon baking powder
◦½ teaspoon salt
◦1 teaspoon cinnamon

Streusel
◦⅓ cup sugar
◦⅓ cup brown sugar
◦3 tablespoons flour
◦¼ teaspoon cinnamon
◦3 tablespoons butter, melted

Instructions
1.Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare your 9” x 9” baking dish by spraying it with non-stick cooking spray.
2.For the brownies, in a medium bowl, combine the butter and the sugar. Whisk for 3 minutes. Add the egg and whisk until it is fully incorporated. Fold in the diced apples and the chopped pecans.
3.In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Add the flour mixture to the apple mixture. Mix gently to combine. This creates a very thick batter. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread it around the pan with a spatula or the backside of a spoon.
4.To prepare the streusel, mix together the granulated sugar, brown sugar, flour, and cinnamon. Add the melted butter and stir to combine. The streusel will have the consistency of sand. Distribute the topping evenly on top of the brownie batter.
5.Place the brownies in the oven and bake for 42 to 45 minutes.
6.Remove the brownies from the oven and allow them to rest for 30 minutes before cutting them into squares.

I always refrigerate the brownies after baking so that they don't fall apart, they're crumbly so use a dish otherwise!

·
Registered
306 Posts
I love the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook, it's one of m favorites.One year I tried the recipe for pumpkin bars with creamcheese frosting and I loved it! Although it comes out more like a cake than "bars"

Pumpkin Bars

Ingredients

cups all-purpose flour
teaspoons baking powder
teaspoons ground cinnamon
teaspoon baking soda
1/4
teaspoon salt
eggs
15 ounce can pumpkin
1 2/3
cups sugar
cup cooking oil
3/4
cup chopped pecans (optional)
recipe Recipe Cream Cheese Frosting (see recipe below)
Pecan halves (optional)
Directions
In a medium bowl stir together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt; set aside. In a large mixing bowl beat together eggs, pumpkin, sugar, and oil. Add the flour mixture; beat until well combined. Stir in chopped pecans, if desired.
Spread batter in an ungreased 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack. Frost with Cream Cheese Frosting. Top with pecan halves, if desired. Cut into squares. Store in refrigerator. Makes 24 bars.

Cream Cheese Frosting
Ingredients
3 ounce package cream cheese, softened
1/4
cup butter or margarine, softened
teaspoon vanilla
cups powdered sugar, sifted
Directions
In a medium bowl beat together cream cheese, butter or margarine, and vanilla until fluffy. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating until smooth.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Oh and I can't forget Wassail.

Traditional Wassail
Recipe Type: Beverage
Cuisine: English
Serves: 1 pitcher
This traditional wassail recipe features hard cider, sugar-roasted apples, brandy and sweet spices. It is a simple, old-fashioned recipe.
Ingredients
4 small apples
1 cup unrefined cane sugar
1 medium orange
13 whole cloves
2 quarts hard apple cider
1/2 cup brandy
1 tbsp powdered ginger
1 tsp grated nutmeg
6 allspice berries
2 cinnamon sticks
6 large eggs, (separated)
toast, (optional, to serve with)
Instructions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Scoop out the core of the apples without fully penetrating the apple – a melon baller works well. Fill each apple with about a tablespoon of unrefined cane sugar. Place the apples in the baking sheet. Stud an orange with thirteen cloves and place it in the baking sheet. Bake the apples and orange together for forty minutes.
While the apples and orange bake, pour apple cider and brandy into a heavy-bottomed stock pot and warm over moderately low heat. Whisk in powdered ginger and grated nutmeg. Do not bring the wassail to a boil.
Cut a small square of the butter muslin and place allspice and cinnamon into the square; tie with 100% cotton cooking twine and float this sachet of spices in the wassail as it warms.
Beat egg yolks until light in color and set aside. In a separate bowl, whip egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold egg yolks into whites, then temper the eggs by slowly pouring one-half cup wassail into the eggs. Remove the spice sachet from the wassail and pour in the tempered eggs. Transfer to a punch bowl. Float baked apples and oranges in the wassail and serve by the mug, topping each much with a small slice of toast if desired.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You guys hit the nail on the head with this one!

Every recipe here is exactly what I'm looking for!

Keep them coming!

I love pinterest but its always nice to get an actual recommended recipe! I've had a few duds on pinterest for sure!

·
Registered
234 Posts
kmeyer - I have used that same pumpkin bread recipe and I agree, it is delicious! It never even occurred to me to change out the pudding flavor...what a great idea!

·
Somewhat Eccentric
2,278 Posts
I guess my favorite is pumpkin pie. I love it, but not wild about the traditional baked crust. Instead of cakes, my mom makes everyone a dessert of their choosing for their birthday. One year I requested a pumpkin pie with a graham cracker crust and she produced the most delectable layered pumpkin pie I've ever eaten. So in late October, I know there's a pumpkin pie headed my way. :)

A local ice cream stand starts selling pumpkin milkshakes right before their season ends which are very good, but the most horrible pumpkin concoction I've ever tried was Jello's pumpkin flavored pudding. :(

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The wife got up early this morning and baked a batch of Pumpkin Raisin Pecan muffins. Was a nice cool 62 degrees outside, had the sliding doors open, the bluejays were cawing, coffee was brewing. Starting to seem like Fall!
Can't decide if it would be better to use dried cranberries instead of raisins or leave them out completely. No raisins for me!

The pumpkin pecan part sounds great though!

Also where are you that its 62 degrees? Its been in the 100s here all week! :-(

·
Registered
136 Posts
more summer themed than halloween, but if you're growing pumpkins... pick all the male flowers at the end of the day, cut out the naughty bits, stuff with cheese, coat with a little flour+water batter and fry them up.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
more summer themed than halloween, but if you're growing pumpkins... pick all the male flowers at the end of the day, cut out the naughty bits, stuff with cheese, coat with a little flour+water batter and fry them up.
Wow!
I would have never thought of that!

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Anyone have a good Banana Walnut bread recipe? I have like 4 bananas that are on the borderline of going bad. I pretty much associate all baked goods with Fall... haha.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts