Halloween Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any one have some ideas on how to make some fake pumpkin pies? I need them for a prop and buying them online isn't cost effective. I need about 3 or 4. I made one out of great foam in a pie plate and I think it may be okay.

Just wondering if anyone out there had some great ideas? Thanks for your time! :D

·
Registered
54 Posts
How about using crumpled aluminum foil to build up your base in the pie plate. Then fill the area in with clay and smooth it out. Also use the clay to make the crust around the edges. You could use air dry or a baking clay I would think. Although you may get some cracking with the air dry.(but that could work out cause I've never baked a pie that didn't crack..) good luck! :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Oh and if you go the clay route. Hit Hobby Lobby with the 40% coupon! Or catch Michaels when they do 50% of all clays. Cheaper is always better!! ;)

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I made my mom 2 of the potpourri pie things a few years ago...it looks exactly like a real pie (Wish I had pics to show u).

What I did was get an aluminum pie pan and made salt dough (recipe is everywhere online and super cheap to make) roll out your salt dough, place in pan and crimp like you would a real pie...place something heavy in empty she'll (I used beans) and bake (again just like a real pie.) Hers had top crusts too...

Now hers didn't require filling as it was meant to hold potpourri. ..but I would think u could cut a round of cardboard to fit the space and insert it into place before baking the shell. Once everything is cool get some latex paint (pumpkin pie color and mix it with glue, u could even toss in some coarse pepper to look like spices...pour it over the cardboard and let it dry. Or if u don't feel like using the paint u could always roll out some clay for the pumpkin area

·
Registered
270 Posts
Salt dough, yeah, but the filling ... some half-baked ideas (no pun intended):
1) pumpkin-pie scented candles, melted and poured? A sprinkle of nutmeg or clove over the top before it solidifies.
2) Polymer clay, rolled out. Stuff the pie crust with anything, and top it with the polymer clay.
3) Soap. I vaguely remember whipping Ivory soap into a foamy clay. Maybe you can do that and color it?
4) Upholstery foam, cut to size and painted. If I remember my Crayola colors, burnt orange and raw umber would do it. Not that paint matches Crayola. I loved those crayons.
5) An image. Download an image of a pumpkin pie, print it out, place it in a pie pan, and do a crust around it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts