Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am making the evil tree and I am thinking about adding some fake moss to it. I haven’t found anything good. So, does anybody have some wisdom to share?

It is an outdoor project so it should withstand the elements and also Its quite big so it would be good if not to expensive and it should be able to last for a few seasons.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
You could use dryer lint to make moss. Here is a tutorial on how to make it. Though where it's going to be outside I would probably use some type of wood glue safe for outdoors or even clear Gorilla Glue instead of craft glue.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You could use dryer lint to make moss. Here is a tutorial on how to make it. Though where it's going to be outside I would probably use some type of wood glue safe for outdoors or even clear Gorilla Glue instead of craft glue.

Nice tip, i would not have thought of that

·
Registered
424 Posts
I have also been looking for a way to make fake but realistic moss in large quantities. We have been using pieces of cheese cloth that have been dyed to a dark color but I just don't like it. Some times it looks like we have dirty laundry hanging from our trees.

So...I started experimenting with other possibilities after the season last year and found that using the thread that hunters/snipers use to create a "ghillie suit" is a good alternative. The thread is polyester so it is waterproof. It does not cost that much for the thread but the process of making the strands is time consuming.

Here is a thread that shows what I came up with for making mossy swamp lanterns but I am using the exact same material and technique to make large strands of moss to hang from trees along with the lanterns for this year.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I second the dryer lint. Mixed lint, Elmer's glue and different shades of green in a bowel, stuck it where I wanted. Looks good and stayed put on outside props. Held up pretty good in storage also. It does take quite a bit so we bag it up all year round now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am making the evil tree and I am thinking about adding some fake moss to it. I haven’t found anything good. So, does anybody have some wisdom to share?

It is an outdoor project so it should withstand the elements and also Its quite big so it would be good if not to expensive and it should be able to last for a few seasons.
If you visit a wholesale floral supply, you can get the real thing for cheap. I was able to pick up a 5 lb box for about 33$. 5 lb is a LOT of moss!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts