Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Built three fake hay bales for my Halloween display this year. Pretty simple, only took about 90 minutes per bale to make from start to finish. Also made them so during the off season I can store all of my Fun-Kins in them. One of the three has a small platform and a couple of holes drilled in it to hold my Bucky skeleton sitting on top of it.

IMG_3284.jpg
IMG_3286.jpg
IMG_3287.jpg
IMG_3288.jpg

Once finished I realized the binding string was going in the wrong direction, so I fixed them to make them look more realistic.

IMG_3292.jpg

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I love these! You did a great job!
I can't figure out what material the "hay" is made from though - did you buy it or make it? What is the backing made of? Is it all weather-resistant?
Thanks!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everybody. The wood frame is made from Pressure Treated deck balusters, the mesh is 3/4" plastic chicken fencing, and the hay is Natural "straw" raffia grass mat with a polypropylene backing sewn onto it. The raffia is the exact same thing that is used for Hawaiian hula skirts only chopped up and sewn in a mat form that is mainly used for duck blinds, and fake hay bales for movie sets. It has a flame resistant treatment that also helps shed some water.

I have seen a couple of these built using plywood as the frame but they do not drain well and are mainly used for indoors. Building them the way I did and keeping 2" legs on each one will allow air flow and drainage.

I'd be happy to create a How-To if anybody is interested.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
If you are willing to do a How-To, that'd be awesome! :D
Thanks so much! I would love to have more hay bales in our "scary cornfield" area, but it's a bit cost-prohibitive around here and they're not that easy to transport either. I especially like how you've made yours in such a way that they can serve as storage bins too. We can NEVER have too much of that! Ha!

·
Registered
284 Posts
CSUam,

1st, love them.
2nd, thanks for the Tutorial (also well done)
3rd, already sent e-mail to get some matts
But, being an old farm boy, ( I know you all ready changed the twine once, but, when stacking bales the twine is almost ALWAYS on top).
I've been using real yellow straw bales (not grass hay), but after they get wet, real difficult to handle or dispose of, running out of compost area.
Have around 50 fake pumpkins, so now I'll have fake straw bales to go with them and storage for the pumpkins.
thanks again!!
Jerseyscare

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jersey thanks for the comments. You will not be disappointed with the mats.

You are correct, the twine runs across the top however since the majority of people view my display from approx. 25 feet away I wanted to ensure the realism of the hay bales came through. If the twine ran across the top then that detail might be lost. Besides, if you turn a hay bale on its side then the twine runs along the sides and not the top. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Iceman - I got the mats from jstern.com. One mat made one complete hay bale. The minimum size these mats come in are 3.25' x 6', that is the size I used for each mat. When I bought these they were $22/mat.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well they DO look really good ... If you were to say STRAW bales ...

but for HAY bales .... sure never seen any hay look like that before - :D :eek:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes they do, they just don't advertise it. Email them about wanting to place an order and they will work it out with you.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts