Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I always wanted to build one of these. I was fascinated the first time I saw one. Problem is I am not handy with anything electrical. So I kept thinking what if I hacked one of those hanging faux cauldrons. I bought one this year at spirit and immediately went to see if I could use one to create this effect. Here is my first test. I probably won't use it this year but I was itching to try. It came out ok. I can tell I need a much slower fan for the effect I want. It's way to fast stock so I tried a wpm on it. Not slow enough then I tried my pico volt which is on it now but I still need a much slower fan. I have no idea what Cfl is slow since this fan doesn't say. Any suggestions on one and where I can get one. I was thinking waterproof just in case also. Anyway here it is. Let me know what you think. I'm only using the two lights that came with the cauldron so I think I need more light though.

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
Yeah, too much fan. You don't need the picovolt or PWM, just reduce the voltage. Try 5v and see if that slows it down.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just tried that J-Man. Not much of a difference. I think I need a really slow Cfm fan but not sure what that number is. Like 10-15. I'm not sure. I think all the computer fans will be way too much. Or is there an adjustable fan I can use with a wpm.

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
You may be able to go even lower with the voltage. Just keep going lower until it just won't turn. You could also try blocking half of the fan.

·
Registered
37 Posts
There are some variable speed computer fans available... Im not sure how to control them though.

Or

If you cant slow the fan enough, you can try removing some of the blades (keep it balanced - if you take 3 away, make them 120 deg apart), or even cutting away half of each blade, effectively making the fan smaller. Careful not to break it! :p I'd use a dremel for this.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone. I found a fan that's made to go very slow. Here's a second test. Things are very rough still. I think I need more lighting but for me it's an ok start. It's basically 40 watts only. I think it should be around a 100. Gonna see if I can get an electrician friend to build me a cool little box and everything I need to house about 3 40 waters or less. I can also speed or slow this one down since it's made to go real slow. I have it hooked up to my variable voltage power supply. I'm using 1.5 at the setting I like. The fan usually runs on a C battery.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
That is very cool. I could see a hell fire demon scene using that effect. Make it look like lava, fire and brimstone with a red horned demon sitting on a throne of some kind. You are probably going for something more tame though.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yah. I think I need more wattage. Not too shabby for just hacking a fan powered silk cauldron. If my buddy is willing to build me what I need I think I could accomplish this for next Halloween. You need to package it all up to hide the whole system. I'm thinking foam around it in some fashion.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That is very cool. I could see a hell fire demon scene using that effect. Make it look like lava, fire and brimstone with a red horned demon sitting on a throne of some kind. You are probably going for something more tame though.
Yah----just a bit more on the tame side...haha. Although I do think there are many fine Halloween uses for this effect.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Okay.

My cemetery fence corner towers are DEFINITELY getting this on top of them! I wanted to do the silk fabric or plastic bag method,...... oh, actually, if this goes outside the mist may blow away too quickly than I would want.... okay I'm STILL making this I don't care I'll find a home for it!

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
Okay.

My cemetery fence corner towers are DEFINITELY getting this on top of them! I wanted to do the silk fabric or plastic bag method,...... oh, actually, if this goes outside the mist may blow away too quickly than I would want.... okay I'm STILL making this I don't care I'll find a home for it!
Yeah, this probably won't do well outside unless it's a very calm night.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What if you put it inside the column some how and some plexiglass around it. The flames might look cool inside there.

Okay.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks. I'm not really that good with electronics so I had to think of what I might be able to hack that could help out. Keep in mind the fan was way to powerful and I need more wattage in lighting to get where I think I need to be but it's a fun project.

Oh, very nice! I've been looking at building a similar prop based on this video, but I think using the flaming cauldron is a stroke of genius.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Danski, the second video you posted is much improved. You're definitely on the right track. Maybe blocking out around the fog would improve the effect and slow the mist a bit. In any case, well done.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts