Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this type of thing happens to us all. Have plans to build something but then something more important pops up.

I had planned to start on the flying ghost build today but my dog changed those plans. She is 13 yrs old and starting to have skin issues. I made an appointment last week for the vet for next Tuesday but I had to take her in today. She wouldn't get up to go out to go pee nor would she get up to see what I was eating. Normally she magically appears as soon as she hears a wrapper. I got her up and then I noticed some blood from her chewing on herself. Then I got whif of a very strong yeasty smell. So needless to say I took her in. They said it was skin allergy or a hot spot so they gave her a shot of steroids, antibiotic pills, some spray to try to get her not to chew on herself, and told me to go get benedryll for her. They also gave me a head cone. She doesn't like that at all. She can't drink with it on, can't get through doorways and can't climb stairs. So I'm taking care of her and making sure she doesn't chew on herself anymore. Also had to put old sheets all over the house where she normally lays so to minimize the blood getting on everything. It has stop bleeding but as soon as she chews on it, it starts again.

Oh well, it's more important to take care of a family member than to work on projects. I think the meds are starting to kick in as she is sound asleep now. Maybe in a few days she'll start to feel better.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Hang in there ReelSore, our animals are our babies, they should always come first, but you already know this. :) My Mother has a older cat that had been licking a hot spot on his tummy but it was smaller than the size of a ping pong ball (it was kinda raised like a ball too). The Vet said it was a tumor (ck'd it and it was benign). Cat healed nicely and stopped licking (we had to put sheets around too, for the blood). Mother started to treat for fleas more regularly (minimize the itching). Be careful with the steroids, ointment, lotions and sprays steroid based, it can thin out their skin. Hang in there. Halloween is in your blood, it will always be there. :)

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
At this moment a sickly dog is under my feet as his "Mommie" sleeps for the first time in a few nights.(Days)
I have been sleeping on the couch so at least one of us gets some sleep, once and awhile.
Aeron (Our dog) exploded a trail of dark, red blood out of his anus over a year ago. He is Diabetic because his Pancreous has a tumor on it, so his readings go allover the place. My Wife measures his levels every day and gives him the appropriate amount of insulin (Not always easy at all)
We have some pills that help him to stand and walk, but those pills can also cause harm if used anything like long-term.
Aeron has been our Haunted house greeter for when kids come in scared, he would distract and calm them right down. "WHAA! WHAA!-"PUPPY!!"
He would go around the room wagging tail, and greeting everyone. I called him "Our Politician" I imagine him wagging the tail, looking at everyone (making eye-contact) saying :"I want your Vote! I NEED your Vote!" Pant-pant-pant!"
When we went to get "A Dog" the puppy=pen was opened, they all took off running, except little Aeron, he ran straight into the arms of my Wife!
Her "Little "BOY!"
Stopping, my emotions just walked into the room.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,397 Posts
You can get allergy shots for animals. I had a cat that got them for about a year until we moved & they cleared up.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well an update: she was healing fine but then this past Monday I came home to blood again. I immediately took her in to the vet. This time I got to see the Senior vet. He said it was a mass that would not heal on its own. So she stayed there that night and had surgery yesterday (Tuesday). Vet said mass was about 3" round and in her muscle. He asked if I wanted it biopsied (sp?), I said yes so we would know what we are dealing with. Should find out something Friday. So I took a day so far off of work to make sure she is fine. She has about 15 staples in her right rear thigh. She getting really spoiled now. I made her and I some chicken and rice for lunch.

Probably take her to a friend that runs a doggy day care slash groomers tomorrow and Friday so I can get back to work. Vet bill wasn't as high as I thought it was going to be.

Another update is I've failed twice so far for my flying bat but I think I've got it figured out. Gotta do some more fab then try it again.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well make that, failed 3 times so far for a flying bat. I'm about to give up. Got one more idea to get it to work and if not then I'm done with it,,,,,,well for this year anyways.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I am so glad your baby is hanging tough. Hope biopsy goes well. :)
Here is to the one more idea for the lift off, of the flying bat, up up and away.....:D

Well make that, failed 3 times so far for a flying bat. I'm about to give up. Got one more idea to get it to work and if not then I'm done with it,,,,,,well for this year anyways.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So got the biopsy results today :-( she has cancer and prognosis is 4-6 months so in the mean time she will be spoiled and she goes where I go as usual. She been a great dog. Hope she beats the odds!

image.jpeg

·
Registered
340 Posts
I am soooo sorry. Thanks for posting pic, she is beautiful. My kitty girl past during the holiday months a few yrs ago and the seasons just have not been the same. I wish her all the luck and more, you just never know.

So got the biopsy results today :-( she has cancer and prognosis is 4-6 months so in the mean time she will be spoiled and she goes where I go as usual. She been a great dog. Hope she beats the odds!

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
She is doing well right now so I just try to enjoy her while she is here and try to keep her happy. She'll let me know when it's time then i'll do what i gotta do but won't be easy. Thanks slaz.

I finally got the bat to work. A video is under general halloween under what did you get done today.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well she took a turn for the worse. Hoping she pulls through. Vet injected her with water, a shot of anti acid, a shot for her nausea. Said she should start eating this evening but she hasn't. Even cooked her some chicken and rice, also tried hand feeding her but still no go. Probably gonna be a long night for me.

·
Registered
13,617 Posts
Sorry to hear the prognosis and latest turn of events. She looks from her photo of the two of you like she's been a great family dog. Losing a pet you have spent years with is hard all the way around. Kind of tough reading your posts. Hugs to you and hope she's not feeling much pain.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Finally got her to eat this morning. Seems to feeling better but only time will tell. Vet wants to see her again this afternoon so we'll see.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Try feeding her baby food...those small jars of meat (just don't do the turkey) on her normal food. Kept a 18 year old dachshund alive for another year and a half.
Good luck.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Her name is Tonka, I call her Tonka Toy.

Vet said today that she was still a little dehydrated but since she is drinking then she didn't inject her with water but did inject her with the anti acid med. said to give her 1.5 or 30mg of pepsid every 12 hours. She still recovering but little by little showing signs of improvement. Vet also said to continue the bland diet which is chicken & rice plain. She said that the excessive stomach acid is a by-product of the cancer. I have another appointment Monday to see the head vet about the cancer growth that's back so I don't know what he will say. Only thing I know to do is keep her comfortable and pain free.

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well a little positive update. Today I asked her if she wanted to go for a ride to the grocery store and although she needed help up, she was happy to go. I know the cancer will get her one day but here she is in the back seat ready to go.

image.jpeg

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Another update: well we both been going through a roller coaster with all this. In the mornings she struggles the most with the afternoons being the best. So tomorrow I going to drop her off with the vet for doggy day care plus it would be the best place for her if something happens. Plus they can do all the checks because I have an appointment anyways in the afternoon. This will allow me to go to work and worry a little less.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts