Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hoping to build a wall that stands alone. I am considering using 2 by 3 to create a rectangle about 4’ by 8’. I would like to add a face and arms pushing through much like the image below but have no idea how to make this happen. I considered creating the base out of chicken wire but not sure that will give me the definition I am hoping for. Any ideas?

·
Registered
835 Posts
I am hoping to build a wall that stands alone. I am considering using 2 by 3 to create a rectangle about 4’ by 8’. I would like to add a face and arms pushing through much like the image below but have no idea how to make this happen. I considered creating the base out of chicken wire but not sure that will give me the definition I am hoping for. Any ideas?
View attachment 744934
The first thing that comes to mind is using a projector. Atmosfx has this. I used it last year and got many compliments.

·
Registered
412 Posts
View attachment 744934
FrightProps and other online Halloween specialty shops sell a stretchy fabric often called "living wall material", just click on link below.

The stuff is not cheap so search the web to find the best pricing. You my be able to find a similar material at Joan Fabrics or Home Depot.

·
Registered
285 Posts
View attachment 744934
So basically you need some sort of stretchy membrane like material.... a flexible lightweight movable film. I'd ask Allen Hopps (aka StiltBeast Studios). He might know. Or he might know who to ask. Lots of prop masters there lurking, too. Find him on YouTube most nights doing live workshops. He's around here, too but it's easier to catch him where he is most active.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I like the idea of using projection. With used projectors going for $50 locally, they are a great solution to a lot of things.

For physically doing it. I know the spandex is probably the easiest way. But, I think the ideal appearance needs extra engineering. If you use latex, and then apply some suction, then the face hands don't push all the fabric forward. I think to do it well, you have all the mechanism inside a sealed box, with the latex sealed on the front surface.. The idea is that as the face/hand pushes forward, the total volume doesn't change. But, I am sure that is a LOT more effort to achieve.

-joe

·
Registered
14,286 Posts
Where might one find that? Did a google search and everyting I'm finding appears to be only 36-48" in diameter, save for a 72" that looks like a thicker excericse ball material.
American Science and Surplus (Sciplus) usually has 8 ft latex weather balloons listed in stock year round.

Sciplus sells on Amazon also (priced lower on Sciplus site) but see where it would be less expensive for you (ie are you an Amazon Prime member, if you sign up on Sciplus site for emails you can get a further discount). I’ve bought from them over the past few years and very reputable and helpful store.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts