Halloween Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I miss being a clown, so this year I'm turning my stalkabout into one. I already know what I'm doing for the head.
Rather than make a whole new outfit, I hope to just transform the current black robe outfit into a clown costume by making legs/collar etc.
I would love it for it to be white and colorful with polkadots or stripes, but the robe was a pain to make last year, so I'd rather modify this one.
I guess I'd be okay with a darker outfit as long as there's some color mixed in there.

What I'm wondering is, would fabric paint do okay over black?
What would y'all do? Any ideas?
Clothing Outerwear Mantle Veil Costume

·
His name is Roger Clyne
10,572 Posts
Wow, that would take a lot of fabric paint. What type of fabric is it? If it's the right kind you could just bleach it out. If it's nylon bleach won't work.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. My wife suggested bleaching it too. It's cotton. I'm gonna try that tomorrow and see what happens.
At the very least maybe it will lighten some.
I'm okay with it being dingy. I like a dirty looking clown, maybe even with some blood splatter.
If I leave it black, I was thinking flourescent orange and green circles all over it.

*EDIT
I just found this pic online and see that red and black look nice together
Costume Clown Mask Performing arts Costume accessory

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I bleached it 3 times and it's turned light brown. The arms are still black however. I guess I used a different fabric for that.
I think I can still use it though. Maybe paint some polkadots on it. Just gotta think about it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm not sure how effective it would be on black (errr, now brown) fabric but there's a product they sell in the laundry section of most grocery and large chain stores called White Brite. It's not a bleach but it sure does whiten! I accidently splashed some on a pair of black pants while pouring it out of a small tub I had some things soaking in and it turned the pants white before I could get them off to rinse them. But I warn you, this stuff smells horrible! If you go to their website, I believe they have a $1 off coupon as well. If all else fails, your socks will look great! :) Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts