Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where I can buy eyes, human, or otherwise, at least 60mm, I found a set of 50's on amazon but would like something bigger. There for a woods troll

·
Registered
251 Posts
Wow, 60mm is BIG. I looked at elephant eyes (taxidermy) and they only go to 42mm.

But marlin eyes come 63mm. Maybe another fish will have giant eyes as well. SWML63

Sounds like an awesome project!

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,909 Posts
I just searched out Terra's eye tutorial and fixed the broken links, so go check this out:

As you want LARGE EYES, her human sized ones won't work for your project, but you can use her painting technique and the iris template she collected/improved upon (based on Haunter's Hangout) for some of the fantasy irises that may be suitable for a wood troll.

And then the fun part... got to find a suitable eyeball right?

Dollar store. You're going to be looking in the toy section. Check out the plastic balls - might be a thin plastic baseball toy, a ball pit ball, or even think about the silly coin-operated toy prizes (the cheap rings or high bounce balls or goofy teeth) that come in the round plastic balls with the lids that grocery stores may still have near the entrances... if you can find a CLEAR one, then you're well on your way, but otherwise try to find a white or yellow (or really light color) pair to work with. Or if you're lucky, you might find an old pair of clear plastic x-mas ornaments meant for crafting (Etsy? Ebay? Garage sale?)

Blow up the irises you like and print them out on a color laser printer. I personally would use clear nail polish if you are applying on the INSIDE of a clear plastic piece (like the toy container) as that should act as a glue and also not dry cloudy or obscure the iris too much. If you are able to find a suitable solid plastic one in white or light color, you can carefully glue the iris to the exterior (to get it to conform as wrinkle free as possible, I suggest cutting a tiny slice - think really thin wedge from the iris if it was a cake - and then wetting it on the backside with glue, then carefully smoooth it over the rounded form. May want to practice a bit to get the idea.

It is important to make sure to print out the iris on a laser printer so the colors don't run or smear when they get dampened from the glue. Inkjet printer ink will smear badly. ;)

·
Registered
625 Posts
It's actually pretty easy to do. My wife and I have made some very cool pendants using some 50mm cabochons.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just searched out Terra's eye tutorial and fixed the broken links, so go check this out:

As you want LARGE EYES, her human sized ones won't work for your project, but you can use her painting technique and the iris template she collected/improved upon (based on Haunter's Hangout) for some of the fantasy irises that may be suitable for a wood troll.

And then the fun part... got to find a suitable eyeball right?

Dollar store. You're going to be looking in the toy section. Check out the plastic balls - might be a thin plastic baseball toy, a ball pit ball, or even think about the silly coin-operated toy prizes (the cheap rings or high bounce balls or goofy teeth) that come in the round plastic balls with the lids that grocery stores may still have near the entrances... if you can find a CLEAR one, then you're well on your way, but otherwise try to find a white or yellow (or really light color) pair to work with. Or if you're lucky, you might find an old pair of clear plastic x-mas ornaments meant for crafting (Etsy? Ebay? Garage sale?)

Blow up the irises you like and print them out on a color laser printer. I personally would use clear nail polish if you are applying on the INSIDE of a clear plastic piece (like the toy container) as that should act as a glue and also not dry cloudy or obscure the iris too much. If you are able to find a suitable solid plastic one in white or light color, you can carefully glue the iris to the exterior (to get it to conform as wrinkle free as possible, I suggest cutting a tiny slice - think really thin wedge from the iris if it was a cake - and then wetting it on the backside with glue, then carefully smoooth it over the rounded form. May want to practice a bit to get the idea.

It is important to make sure to print out the iris on a laser printer so the colors don't run or smear when they get dampened from the glue. Inkjet printer ink will smear badly. ;)
thanks a lot, much info

1 - 10 of 10 Posts