Halloween Forum banner

21 - 40 of 207 Posts

·
Soccer and Lacrosse Dad
1,766 Posts
I was surprised that these simple PIR devices are not available in Canada. I have seen them at our local Harbor Freight store for as little as $11.99.
I didn't mean to suggest that they aren't available in Canada, They are available at Lowes In Canada, but the price is $45.00. (Just not much of a sale compared to $11.99)

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Doto, yeah I figured you were talking about the driveway alerts that Lowes carries. Our Lowes also carries driveway alerts but not the same brand as the inexpensive ones at Harbor Freight. The ones at our Lowes are more expensive as well. I guess I was thinking out loud that I was surprised you didn't have access to this inexpensive brand of driveway alert system.

·
Registered
875 Posts
FWIW I have a couple of the harbor freight models. They have models with different channels.
Just look for a little white sticker saying CH13, or CH16, etc. near the UPC on the box.
I also took one receiver out of the housing and connected it's circuit board to the 4ch leaning prop controller from Tyler & Scubaspook (see the "for sale by merchants" section).
The controller has a 3 wire connector interface for a PIR, +5vdc, Gnd, and trigger. I connected the +5vdc to where the driveway receiver's battery red wire connects. Gnd to the black, and the PIR trigger wire to the center (could have been any) of the 3 leds, on it's leg closest to the middle of the board.
The receiver triggers the controller, also gets it's power from the controller. If you need them I can take a couple pictures.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
moonwitchkitty, hope they work for you as well as they did for me.
BobbyA, I was in our local Harbor Freight today looking for just the thing you described in your post. I was certain that there should be a model that operated on more than one channel but I was not able to find any that had more than the single channel. It would be great if you could post a photo of what I should be looking for along with the price for the unit. I think the setup you made may be a little too advanced for me but if I can buy alerts that work on different channels I could control more than one prop by simply setting the driveway alert up next to the prop. As I posted earlier, the ones I bought all worked on the same frequency so all the props I had set up functioned every time any of the PIRs were triggered. By the way, if I could make the set up you described could I use the single channel alerts? They are really cheap here.

·
Registered
875 Posts
This is one of the units I picked up from HF for around $12
Perhaps they sell other brands or models when one runs out, or perhaps carry other units at other stores.
As I mentioned previously, the channel sticker is near the UPC. Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
BobbyA, thands for the photo. I believe I did see this at Harbor Freight yesterday. Only, I didn't notice the channel designation by the UPC code. I will be getting a couple of these today and see if they will work independently as they should. Thanks again, this really helps and will make this simple PIR trigger work on more that one prop at a time.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Glad to be of help.
I've gotten a lot of good ideas and help from the forum, it's nice to be able to return the favor.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
theworstwitch, anything that passes in front of the PIR sending unit will set of the alert (or in our case the sound activated prop). However, if you mount the PIR about 3 feet off the ground most animals that pass by will not trigger the PIR. If you use this idea and are going to use it to trigger more than one prop be sure to follow BobbyA's post and check above the UPC code on the box and get alerts that work on different channels. Otherwise everytime one PIR is triggered every prop you have set up on these alerts will activate as I mentioned happened to me in this original thread.

BobbyA, well I went back to Harbor Freight today and I found the driveway alerts that you were talking about. I bought 3, each on a different channel. Also, (and I am really embarrased to admit this) I discovered the driveway alerts that I had previously purchased also had a channel designation above the UPC code on the box. I just happened to buy several that operated on the same channel which was channel 11. I discovered this when I got home and checked the boxes for my original alert purchase. Thanks again for being smart enough to check the boxes and for passing this information along in a post on this thread.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Once again, ingenuity rears it's ugly head and we all benefit! Great idea Scary Papa!! :cool:

Crap, now I have another project...lol

·
Registered
875 Posts
Someone asked how this was connected. In this picture the circuit board that was removed from Harbor Freight driveway chime receiver is near the top of the picture. The lower board is a 4-button learning controller (described in the "for sale by merchants" threads). The controller is wired to provide the standard configuration you will find with PIR modules. Typically they have a 3 wire interface, which connects Ground, +5vdc, and the trigger signal. The controller looks for the trigger signal to briefly change from high (5V) to low (()V) when motion is detected.

The Harbor Freight (HF) receiver board appears like a wired PIR module to the prop controller. To use the HF receiver in this manner, open the case and remove the circuit board. Cut the red (power) & black (ground) wires near the battery spring clips. You can also cut the green wires connecting the chime speaker disk. The red and black wires then connect to the prop controller, which now provides the voltage to run the receiver board via the prop controller's PIR 3-pin connector. Next you will need to connect a trigger signal wire from the 3rd pin of that connector (white wire in the picture), to one of the red LEDs on the receiver (again see picture). When the transmitter detected motion the receiver would normally chime and flash the red LEDs. To do that the receiver supplies a ground connection for the led, this makes the voltage on that diode lead go to 0 volts. Which is just the signal change needed to trigger the prop controller.

If you are not using a prop controller, and just want to make the receiver act like a switch. You can use a small relay similar to an Omron G6K-2 in place of one of the red LEDs. Cut one of the leds, and wire the relay coil to the remaining leads. Then use the normally open (NO) contacts on the relay to replace a footpad or similar switch for your prop. In this use you will need to keep the receiver's battery compartment connected, or provide another power supply via the side power connector.

Attachments

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
BobbyA, I am wondering if when using the driveway alert simply as a switch as you mentioned is it really necessary to wire in a relay. I tried it by just cutting the wires to a sound sensor on one of my less expensive props and soldering the ends of these wires to the leads of one of the LED lights. It seems to work great. I though I was following your instructions but I forgot the relay.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
BobbyA...Ok since I am not tech savy I am wondering if by lucky you mean I didn't electrocute myself , or the prop worked despite my ineptitude.LOL Actually I am planning on attempting to do this the correct way althought the prop is working. I am concerned that without the relay the prop may get damaged with too much current going to the swith or something. Also is there a radio shack substitute for this relay. I looked on the Omron website and there are several G6K-2 type relays with different letters at the end (G6K-2P, G6K-2G, G6K-2Y etc.). I don't relaly know which one to get so if I know the specs I can get one at the local radio shack.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Hi Scary,
By lucky meant that the prop sound sensor didn't clutch it's little chest and expire.
The fact it is working now says it will probably work later, so I'm not sure you need to change anything for this prop.
Lucky in like checking if a medium tap w/ a hammer on the glass will not break it, It might not but if it does, it's done.

As I recall the suffix on the relays -2G -2Y etc just indicate how long and what shape the connecting leads are.
I picked this model because I have used it before on 4 to 5V circuits to power the coil (operate the relay), but other brands are available.
If looking for the Omrons, I would try feebay, and just get the datasheet from Omron's website.
Try search for this term on feebay: Omron G6k relay

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Thanks BobbyA, I really appreciate your info. Glad to know that my prop will most likely not explode in my face:D. As I said this is a cheap sound activated prop so probably that is why it worked ok without the relay. Going to try to use this on some more expensive sound activated props so I will definitely add the relay to this setup.

·
Registered
500 Posts
ScaryPapa, regarding the relay, I think you and BobbyA are talking about different things. BobbyA is talking about wiring in a relay to replace something like a step pad trigger, a try-me button, or a switch on the power supply of an always-on prop, where the prop is triggered by completing a connection (closing the switch). When the PIR is triggered, it sends a voltage on the LED wire, which activates the relay, closing the switch. You're working with a sound sensor, which isn't activated by closing a switch, but by applying a voltage generated in the microphone to a sensor. If you just wired a relay into a sound sensor circuit, there's no guarantee it would trigger reliably, because all you'd be doing is completing the connection to the microphone. By applying the voltage from the PIR signal wire to the sound sensor directly, you're reproducing the effect of the microphone generating a voltage, which is the correct way to trigger that kind of sensor. BobbyA is right, though, that you're lucky; a sound sensor like that probably isn't meant to receive any significant amount of power, so putting a voltage intended to light an LED into it could have easily burned out the sensor. If it works, that's great, it's just not something you can rely on to work with other props. A safer way would be to determine how much voltage the microphone might typically put out, and then use a relay like BobbyA suggested to put only that much against the sensor. I've seen people use a single AA battery (1.5V) for this sort of application, so you'd probably be safe with that, but it may require some testing to find out what the threshold trigger voltage is.

21 - 40 of 207 Posts