Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Ty Pennington (center) leads the volunteer construction crew during braveheart moment of the "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" at the Oregon School for the Deaf on Monday, Sept, 6, 2010. The construction crew build a new Nightmare Factory haunted house at the school. (TIMOTHY J. GONZALEZ | Statesman Journal)

Salem,OR — ABC's Emmy award winning hit show Extreme Makeover: Home Edition has announced the recipients of the Salem, OR Extreme Makeover: Home Edition build project.

Tuesday afternoon, Extreme Makeover: Home Edition traveled to Salem's Oregon School for the Deaf (OSD). There the design team met the students of the residential school for deaf and hard of hearing students known throughout the state for its curriculum in American Sign Language. The students learned that OSD would be the recipient of a makeover during their back-to-school picnic when they saw an airplane pulling a 5,000 square foot banner overhead, greeting them with the message: "Good Morning, Oregon School for the Deaf!"

Funds from OSD's annual Nightmare Factory, a spine tingling haunted house held for two weeks leading up to and including Halloween night in the basement of the boys' dormitory, go a long way toward generating much-needed income for the 140 year-old financially-strapped school, a place which students consider their second home. The 12,000 square foot basement where the Nightmare Factory is usually held has become frightfully unsafe. The EMHE design team has just one week to make the OSD basement safe again and tricking it out in a scary and spectacular way for the annual Nightmare Factory. The improvements they make will surely help increase OSD's fundraising revenue for years to come. Along with re-doing the Nightmare Factory, a second building project is going on at the same location that will include dorm rooms and a living area.

More of this article and official website here

Here are some more links about the story. Some of the links provided below will have links to pictures and videos of the project's progress up until the big reveal.

The episode is scheduled to air on Halloween Night, Sunday, October 31st.

Salem Statesman-Journal

KATU Channel 2

OregonLive.com

Bad Boys Scenic Design

Davis Graveyard Blog (FrogOnThePumpkin)

The Oregon School for the Deaf was also the site of the inaugural West Coast Haunter's Convention this past May.

Bad Boys Scenic Design of Green Bay, WI and Oregon-based haunters Chris and Jeff Davis of The Davis Graveyard are actively involved in the haunt's scenic design portion of the project.

I have been asked by Chris Davis to join the Davis Graveyard team in helping with their portion of the project. I gave them an emphatic 'HELL, YES!' and look forward to helping out a truly great guy in Ed Roberts, contributing to such a great cause as OSD as well as working alongside some of my favorite haunters in The Davis' and the Bad Boys Scenic Design crew.

As a relatively new Oregonian and as a haunter and fan of DIY shows, this is the coolest thing to come down the pike in many a moon. Can't wait.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Lucky Bugger!

·
Registered
8 Posts
That is awesome news! I'm sure Jeff and Chris will do it up right! I can't imagine what their work load is right now, considering they have their haunt coming up, too.

·
Emperor of Candlewood
4,330 Posts
They do magic with any home they touch! It should turn out great! Bravo Extreme Makeover team!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Glad to be a part of it

We are so happy to be helping Ed and the kids out, they really deserve this project.

We and the crew spent the holiday weekend working on the project and will spend all weekend down there working with the the Bad Boys crew on a few other rooms.

I wish I could post pictures and tell you what is going on, but I am told that the haunt is a suprise to Ed, he is not allowed to see it until it is done. So we cannot post until after the revel. :(

I will be taking lots of pictures, I will post them on my blog and here as soon as I can.

Wish us luck....and send Red Bull. We are gonna need it! :D

Chris 'Frog Queen" Davis and Jeff Davis
www.davisgraveyard.com
www.strangelittlegirlblog.blogspot.com

1 - 11 of 11 Posts