Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Wild Fandango
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we've had nearly a decade of affordable LED tea lights and candles made with a standard 5mm yellow/gold super bright LED. Maybe they've gotten a little brighter over the years, the flicker circuit is in the LED instead of on a board now, better diffusion methods. Nice effect for an exposed candle, but barely enough to light up a pumpkin or skull votive holder. Even The Pumpkin Light™ tap-light style flicker lights with 3 bulbs instead of one aren't as bright as a good old fashioned candle - which you can't use in a Funkin or Gemmy. Even some of the newer votive/tealight holders I've bought at Michaels say they're for LED candles only (made of resin).

Other than a few, rather unaffordable (like the Norex Safelite) products... nobody has come up with a better mousetrap? I bought some real wax candles with LEDs in them at Michaels last week. They had a print of a skull and a skeleton on them. They are much brighter than most LED candles I have. Not full candle brightness, but enough to impress me. If I didn't like them so much, I would be taking them apart just for the bulb. I'm guessing part of the reason more companies don't do it is battery life - a really bright bulb wouldn't run long on a CR2032, but you would think larger candles with AA or AAA power would have better technology these days.

I have some 1/2 watt 10mm and 1 watt star LEDs in the mail to try to build something myself. But I'd still like to know: has anyone seen an LED candle that is actually comparable to a real candle?

·
Super Moderator
5,705 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Maybe not AS bright, but close...
I do NOT use the flicker version (on request from an epilepsy professional for the school I have come through), but they do offer one. Can't say how 'realistic' it might be.
Are they much brighter than the 3-packs from Dollar Tree?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts