Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A bit of a strange question I admit, but the technical and inquisitive part of me wonders if it can be done.. And how? Now knowing some of the technical and prop savvy geniuses reside here, I thought where better to ask..

Basically my thought is this..

An Animated prop may sound fairly loud in the house on its loudest setting when it's just being setup or demo'd, maybe for friends and family or even just to check it yourself once built, but on party night it might get drowned out, or... And this is the reason for what my post is intently aimed on.. Having props outside.

Is there any way to hook these things up to either something worn under the props clothing, like an external microphone or to a hidden amp somewhere in the garden, obviously not directly wired through it as that would distort like hell at that volume or even blow it, but something that will take the audio in real time, and amplify it using the secondary source, therefore throwing the sound out much louder and further so that trick or treaters will hear it, plus adding to the effect of the prop at the same time? You could even add reverb effects, things like that to make it sound slightly different if need be..

Is this a realistic option, has anyone actually done it or tried it, or am I the first with this crazy idea?? :ROFLMAO:

Would love to get people's thoughts on this, especially if you've done it. (y)

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Sure, it can be done. There are tons of tiny cheap amplifiers on ebay, one of those along with a decent speaker and a power source for the amp = big sound. You would need to dig into the prop and locate the two wires going to the stock speaker. Disconnect those wires from the speaker and connect them to the amp input. Connect a better speaker to the amp output, power the amp with a separate battery pack or adapter and you're good to go.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So not exactly a quick tidy reversible job then? I was hoping for more of a quick plug and play option, perhaps into the speaker box itself using a 3.5mm jack if it has one.. But I see where you're coming from, it does probably need chopping up and re-wiring to get the good results. I was just hoping for something neat and tidy without battery packs and so on.. But more importantly, something I could just plug in and out without any hassle and reverts the prop back to how it was. Nothing constant, just an option to change it for an hour or so.

Oh well, it was a nice idea. Thanks for the swift input. But i'm not confident enough when it comes to intricacies like that, and I don't fancy messing it up and turning one of my favourite animated's into a static.. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

·
Prince of Arkham Asylum
2,542 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Funnily enough, that is exactly the sort of thing I had in mind... The very idea.
But it's whether a setup along those lines will give good results. I don't mind feeding a wire to an amp as it'd be outside and dark by the time it's operational, and I could route them so they wouldn't be easily seen. Are these speakers any good though, are they upto the job or do they crackle and distort like hell if you put them too close to the props speaker box when using the amp? I have every faith in a mini amp doing the job but these mics might be hit and miss. Has anyone tried this?

·
Registered
112 Posts
So not exactly a quick tidy reversible job then? I was hoping for more of a quick plug and play option, perhaps into the speaker box itself using a 3.5mm jack if it has one.. But I see where you're coming from, it does probably need chopping up and re-wiring to get the good results. I was just hoping for something neat and tidy without battery packs and so on.. But more importantly, something I could just plug in and out without any hassle and reverts the prop back to how it was. Nothing constant, just an option to change it for an hour or so.

Oh well, it was a nice idea. Thanks for the swift input. But i'm not confident enough when it comes to intricacies like that, and I don't fancy messing it up and turning one of my favourite animated's into a static.. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Most modern (2015-present) Spirit Halloween animatronic feature audio jacks. However, this is not an industry standard. You may wire directly to the speaker, but that would require opening the module, which I am not sure is in your best of interest.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Most modern (2015-present) Spirit Halloween animatronic feature audio jacks. However, this is not an industry standard. You may wire directly to the speaker, but that would require opening the module, which I am not sure is in your best of interest.
No, someone else suggested that too, and while it is probably the most solid option in terms of results, I want something quick and easy that is also reversible and easy to hide. Yes, some of my props do have the audio jack you mentioned so I think that is what got me thinking of this idea.. Plus the first option could be a bit expensive if something goes wrong. I'm not quite ready to start ripping my perfectly working props apart just yet. :ROFLMAO:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts