Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new and positive there are threads somewhere, but I must be using the wrong words to search. I am looking for inspiration for this year in how to decorate the exterior of my house. Typically, we keep it very little kid friendly and I focus more on lights and blow ups. I'd like to do more with flood lights and overall mood light this year, as I think that makes a tremendous impact.

This is the year I'd like to start going "bigger" with decorating. Our kids are old enough to appreciate it, but I want to not be too scary. My favorite items are always ghost related, so I plan on continuing that. My wife like jack-o-lanterns, so that is something I like to check out too.

Any links or pics would be appreciated. Thanks!

10644828_10152588325548451_2433193398732560784_n_zpsvnm320jg.jpg
10600605_10152588325403451_125059443936622839_n_zpsc4pvlnmc.jpg

These pics were obviously taken during the early evening, but there are purple and orange lights around the roof line. There are also green lights that look like they are dripping behind Slimer.

·
Registered
412 Posts
For your garage area, truly the the simplest and most effective tool is 'spooky cloth' - if you can find it on sale, snatch up as many as you think it will take.

http://www.amazon.com/yards-CREEPY-CLOTH-halloween-decoration/dp/B002MF3CZG

That coupled with a spotlight (cold color like blue or green) aimed at it from corner of your lawn really can go a long way. A few ghosts or skeletons hung from the roofline also would not go amiss, that rather classic without veering into too much frightening prop territory, and a hay bale (real) with plastic light up pumpkins stacked on it might go over well for what you seem to be after. I do not know if you want to use portions of your lawn, but a simple start is a few tombstones and a spotlight and maybe a selectively placed strobe, some cobwebs over the headstones - your mileage may vary of course on how far down that road/direction you wish to go.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
A good way to strike a balance between scary and kid friendly is to mix the more goulash elements with the inflatable you have. Tombstones always look scary on the lawn in the dark.

·
Lighthearted Halloween
3,795 Posts
Hi Mike! Welcome to HF!!
Your yard looks great!

In response to your request... We do a lot (some say excessive) amount of kid-friendly decorating in our front yard. You can swing by my albums to see some different themes and scenes.

Here's a few photos... We found that a combination of blowmolds and inflatables really catches the spirit of Halloween for the little kids.

1 (1).jpg 1 (2).jpg
1 (2).jpg 1 (1).JPG
candyland (3).jpg best.jpg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great posts and pics!

I will have to think over the sections piece, as there are ways I could pull that off. I was first thinking flood light color combinations and could aim a flood from either corner of the garage making it, say, green. The front door area could be another color, and then the front window/edge of house a whole different color...so up to three.

So already, I am thinking of a multicolor wash and how to extend out into the yard with props.

·
Registered
17 Posts
This thread is perfect! I too want to branch out this year with my decor. I have a five year old and an almost eighteen year old, so I'm wanting to make it really fun for both! Hilda, your yard is amazing!!

·
Here to burgle your turts
2,305 Posts
I will look for this, but my wife tends to not like that direction.
We used to be VERY anti-graveyard but we eventually gave in. Older kids just love reading the tombstones. Huge hit. We were stunned.

But we tend to try and go for Scooby-Doo/Haunted Mansion kind of spooky. Still a little intimidating for the real little ones.

I think this is the link Scatterbrains is talking about...
http://www.halloweenforum.com/general-halloween/69886-your-cemetery-74.html

Here's a link to a lighting tutorial. It's graveyard based, but I think the takeaway is that accenting cool lights with warm lights really makes things pop.
http://robertdbrown.com/2014/01/26/skullandbone-com-haunt-lighting-tutorial/ And Welcome to the forums! Yard looks great but I'm sure it'll be fun to change things up.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hi Mike! Welcome to HF!!
Your yard looks great!

In response to your request... We do a lot (some say excessive) amount of kid-friendly decorating in our front yard. You can swing by my albums to see some different themes and scenes.

Here's a few photos... We found that a combination of blowmolds and inflatables really catches the spirit of Halloween for the little kids.

View attachment 248764 View attachment 248765
View attachment 248767 View attachment 248768
View attachment 248770 View attachment 248769
OMG I love it!!!! I think I've seen some of your pictures before on a Facebook group?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So I took a look at a good chunk of the cemetery thread. Some questions...

1. What can I use to highlight the blow ups? Slimer is VERY dark at night and I used a regular white par can to light him up. You could see him and the pumpkins really well, but it wasn't a cool vibe. I am betting some has a good suggestion for a small LED par that would wash them and not necessarily the whole side of the house or cast an odd shadow.

2. What If I had the face of the garage hit with some blue, the walk way to the entry orange, and the face of the house a third color like green?

3. I saw some Home Depot lights - Gemmy - that swirl colors. I think one was called fire and ice? I thought it might be cool to have that hit the face of the house with Slimer out in front uplit with a small LED (not sure what color, though, green?)

I think I got the hang of how to take some other decorations into the yard and individually highlight them (not sure on Slimer, though). So I guess my priority right now is some color washes lighting different parts of the house. Right now I feel my time will be better used setting up the washes than individual light strands. :D

I live in MN and October is usually cold, rainy, and VERY windy...hence keeping at least the blow ups close to the house. I found a pic from the year before, which looks better as it is at night, lol. No Slimer, though, and I am a huge Ghostbusters fan, so that is a cool addition, IMHO.

1381830_10151789658838451_788447516_n_zpsghlojghm.jpg

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
268 Posts
I've said it before but it deserves to be repeated. Hilda your displays are so amazing! I never get tired of looking at your pictures. You create a Halloween land that almost seems animated as if your characters come to life. STELLAR!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts