Halloween Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted the following in the costume thread, but didn't get any replies. I thought it might be more appropriate to post in here:

I want to dress as Regan this year, the possessed girl from the Exorcist, including the 360 degree spinning head. Any ideas how best to do it?

I figure a small DC motor, preferably with wireless remote in my pocket, but it could be wired as well. I could mount the motor on a very small platform on my head, probably with a chin strap to hold it in place. Connect the motor to the underside of the top of a full-head mask and voila!

What motor would you suggest?

Any ideas to keep the mask turning cleanly around my face?

Anyone do this before?

Thanks so much in advance!

CB

·
Registered
429 Posts
Good Luck. I would start with something like a bucket to see what motor will work. If you bear in mind that the mask will need to be both taller and wider than your own head, and the inside of it is going to have to be round to spin properly the head itself will need to be quite large. Keep us updated.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks lawrie. I know it will be a challenge. I am thinking I need to do something on the mask interior to ensure it would rotate freely around my head. Something to extend the mask outward and keep it off my face. Maybe cardboard or plastic. I'll fiddle with it and see what works. The trick will be minimizing distortion of the mask, or maybe that's not such a bad thing. haha

CB

·
Halloween Elitist
2,888 Posts
I was Reagan several years back but not for a party, it was for the disaplay/walk through in my garage. I didn't have time to pull off my idea but my idea is if you're going to be stationary, let me know if you still want to hear it.

·
Halloween Elitist
2,888 Posts
Ok so I was thinking of building a fake Reagan body except for the head, the body would have to be fastened down in a sitting upright postion, I would have to build a bed frame a little taller than normal beds because underneath, in the middle, I would sitting on an office chair, that of course swivels 360, I would put my head through the hole where neck is and spin with my legs, imagine people seeing a live persons head talking and such then you pull your stunt of spinning yourself 360, while your fake body remains stationary. I'm going back one of these seasons and see if I can pull it off.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
lawrie - that's a great idea that I hadn't thought of before. I have an old one that I won't miss. However I do it, I'll have to make sure I can still recharge it. I'll take a look and let you know how it works out.

Thanks!
cb

·
Halloween Elitist
2,888 Posts
I'm thinking your idea is still very viable, I'm thinking of maybe a piece of foam, domed, underneath it will house the motor, not tool tall as this will be the top part of your "head" and you glue it to the top inside of the mask, hit the switch and mask rotates because it will be glued to foam piece or you can glue the edges of the base to the inside of mask circumference

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
that's actually a little bit different than what I was thinking, but I think your idea is better. I can maybe make the foam wide enough to stretch the mask out a bit so it rotates freely around my face. The idea would be to secure the motor to my head (maybe with a chin strap and another small foal underneath the motor.

when I quickly read your post, I initially thought you said to glue the foam to the top of my head - now that would deb uncomfortable

I can't wait to try out these idea - thanks xxScorpion64xx and lawrie!

cb

·
Halloween Elitist
2,888 Posts
Man, I hope you can make this work, please come back and post progress because I would definitely want to do this myself if it works

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
so, just received the Regan mask in the mail today from Party City ($15 + $7). It's definitely a lot tighter fit than I need to spin it. There is already a small slit in the back, but I need to open the back up quite a bit more. the hair will cover the opening, and I can add some black silk to help hide my face when it rotates.

I'll experiment a little and see if it's even possible.

I found this variable speed drill trigger assembly online for $1.50. It might do the trick, just need to add a suitable motor and up to a 20 VDC power supply (sounds easy, doesn't it?)

http://www.sciplus.com/p/variable-speed-drill-trigger-assembly_48514

CB

·
Halloween Elitist
2,888 Posts
If push comes to shove, you might have to resort to basically cutting it to making it a half mask so it can rotate more freely, I know you don't want to do that just yet so maybe get a cheap dollar store mask and experiment with that

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
agree - I'm ok with the half-mask idea, but the hair is attached throughout the entire stretch of the back side. i.e., I would lose all the hair in the back and have to re-attach it (glue?) to some other facade. Basically, I have to cut off the back end and create a new one extended out a few inches. Hmmm, what if I do just that? cut the entire back side off and then reconnect it using similar mask material (or whatever) to make a bigger mask. Think we're on to something here.

Great idea to practice on a cheap mask - I plan to do just that. If I weren't tall, I would consider just putting the whole thing as an extension of the top of my head (also not a horrible idea).

Thanks!

CB

1 - 17 of 17 Posts