Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My neighbors dogs - 2 lab puppies- have destroyed my skull fence ( chewing the heads off one section) breaking the plastic chains on other sections, tore my skeleton in half and then ripped those into more pieces, and bit the tails of my rats and one rat is completely missing , chewed my foam pumpkin ground breaker , chewed my meat cleaver prop.... Not to mention these same dogs destroyed 50.00'worth the plants this spring and killed over 20 chickens of another neighbor .... I spoke with the owners in the spring and they informed me to just beat the dogs back to their house and they would quit ----- REALLY!!!! They are your dogs not MINE!!! I have two labs and they are inside -yes inside 100lb labs- but we have also built a fence that is literally the size of a football field for them to play in - so tell me why it is my responsibility to make your dogs stay in your yard and out of mine and everyone else's in the neighborhood - frustrated at all the hard work - and pieces destroyed !!!! Thanks for letting me vent !!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Wow, I'm sorry. Can they just come in your yard? They aren't supervised? You might really want to consider filing a complaint against your neighbors. Have you talked with them at all?

A more superficial idea, you could try applying a "bitter" spray to your props to make them taste bad (such as Bitter Apple, Bitter Yuck, etc).

·
Registered
360 Posts
Call the dog warden. After paying to get them back a few times they will then take control. I have no use for anyone that let's their dogs roam. I have seen cats/chickens/small animals killed by roaming dogs. If it were me it would be the s/s/s.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,829 Posts
They sound dangerous, call animal control. The owners will not watch their dogs, then they should not have them.

The neighbor who had the chickens killed and yourself should ask for money from the owner to replace your props and his damage.
^This. Absolutely.

·
Registered
814 Posts
My neighbors dogs - 2 lab puppies- have destroyed my skull fence ( chewing the heads off one section) breaking the plastic chains on other sections, tore my skeleton in half and then ripped those into more pieces, and bit the tails of my rats and one rat is completely missing , chewed my foam pumpkin ground breaker , chewed my meat cleaver prop.... Not to mention these same dogs destroyed 50.00'worth the plants this spring and killed over 20 chickens of another neighbor .... I spoke with the owners in the spring and they informed me to just beat the dogs back to their house and they would quit ----- REALLY!!!! They are your dogs not MINE!!! I have two labs and they are inside -yes inside 100lb labs- but we have also built a fence that is literally the size of a football field for them to play in - so tell me why it is my responsibility to make your dogs stay in your yard and out of mine and everyone else's in the neighborhood - frustrated at all the hard work - and pieces destroyed !!!! Thanks for letting me vent !!
I would bill them immediatly. Many places a dog without a leash is against the law. Have you checked on this?

And if they refuse to pay I would threaten small claims court its an easy win. Also, get one of those deer cameras set for motion to prevent it in the future. And inform the neighbors you are doing exactly that,

·
Resident Potterhead
1,972 Posts
and i thought my neighbors letting their dogs run around without being leashed, coming into my yard and pooping all the time, tromping through my pumpkin patch when it was still fresh, charging my 2 small dogs (these are labs and a boxer vs my 2 dachshunds) was bad.

i'd definitely file a complaint with the city/animal control/neighbors and sending them a bill for damages due to their negligence.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Although they are puppies they should be under control - tearing up props and killing chickens is a start down the road to biting a small child - kids are always drawn to dogs.

I agree with the comment that your local dog wardens should be made aware of the situation - to avoid something far worse happening later on.

I saw a dog run into our shared garden entrance through the open gate and snap the neck of the cat next door with a single shake - I had to knock on their door and tell them not to let their daughter out so that she didn't see the body. Not a pleasant job.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have already called our police dept and our animal control is very short staffed is what I'm told however they will have to handle the claim unless a human is attacked .. And yes I waited up till 10pm last night for the owners to return to show them the pics I have and request repayment for the items - as a matter of fact a part of my fence was in their yard went I went over to talk abt it the first time - I took a pic and then left the fence there and I went ahead and took most of the other decorations in my yard as a preventive measure bc I will be gone for a week starting Thursday - I have neighbors who watch for intruders but dogs don't fall under them watching for someone to break in ;) ..... And yes I have two game cameras that we are setting up on short notice however when we get back from vacation we are installing security cameras - bc unless something is done abt the puppies they are goin to tear something up everytime I put anything in the yard - flowers and plants included --and I'm sure the owners will get tired of having to reimburse me !!!

·
Registered
564 Posts
I'm usually against taking people to court because part of what's wrong with this country today is that it's too sue happy and nobody can do anything without the fear of being taken to court. However, since you have already tried talking to the owners and they've more or less brushed you off without even offering to make things right, you really have no other course of action but court. I have a German Shepherd puppy and know how destructive they can be. If he got loose and destroyed or, God forbid, killed something, I would immediately offer to reconcile. Things happen and dogs get loose, but it shouldn't be a daily occurrence. I know I'd be furious if that happened to me. Halloween props are costly in time and money and I, for one, couldn't just go out and replace all of what took years to accumulate!

·
Registered
374 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Since animal control is short staffed, how about the next time they are loose you take them for a little drive and drop them off at the shelter. You can take in animals that are loose and you are penalized nothing (since they are not yours). If you were nice you could let the owners know, so they could go bail them out. Possibly even tell them you would be taking cujo1 and cujo 2 for a drive every-time you see them:)

·
A Wee Bit Wicked
1,292 Posts
:( I am so sorry....that is very bad.... And I feel sorry for the puppies...that owner DOES NOT NEED DOGS! Really? "Beat them back to my yard"? I am really sorry for you, but puppies chew, puppies destroy things...and without supervision they become problem dogs. Your neighbor does not need to have animals, and it is not your responsibility to discipline his puppies. I so despise stupid people like your neighbor....there are no bad dogs, only bad dog owners.:(

·
Jumpin' Jack Flash
1,261 Posts
Since animal control is short staffed, how about the next time they are loose you take them for a little drive and drop them off at the shelter. You can take in animals that are loose and you are penalized nothing (since they are not yours). If you were nice you could let the owners know, so they could go bail them out. Possibly even tell them you would be taking cujo1 and cujo 2 for a drive every-time you see them:)
I would be very very sure about local laws before doing this.

·
Registered
253 Posts
beat them? Really!? If you ever catch those *******s beating or hitting those dogs I would hope you call the police.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts