Halloween Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple short videos from our 2009 haunt.

The first is my version of the Haunted Organist. We started off looking for an electronic organ from the 1970s that we would gut and install a mechanism to move the keys up and down. What we found was this beautiful 1895 Story & Clark reed organ. We decided it was way too cool to gut, and will work on restoring it to playing condition this winter. Maybe next year, I will play it instead of the skeleton !

Here is the yard / garage haunt

·
sasquatch
3,076 Posts
Very nice! I liked the whole display. The FCG hovering over a body was a nice touch.

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
Beautiful organ...from what I can see. Got any daytime pics of it?

MsM

·
Registered
392 Posts
Great work!! I would also like to see some daytime shots of the organ.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Beautiful organ...from what I can see. Got any daytime pics of it?

MsM
Hi Ms M --

I have to tell you that we saw the vids of your organ, and it was one of our inspirations when we started working on ours. It really turned out to be a lot more work and $$ than we had originally planned , but a fun project and we will enjoy playing it when it is all put back together.

There is a daytime pic at

http://www.barnett-glass.com/2009.html

I have pix of the organ restoration project at

http://www.barnett-glass.com/organ.html

I took all these pix mostly to help me remember how it all goes back together. The old finish has been stripped from the case. The upper action has been sent to a shop in San Francisco to be restored and tuned. I am working on rebuilding the lower action/bellows and refinishing the case.

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
What a gorgeous organ! Those photo's of the restoration look sooooooooo familiar lol
I remember thinking that hubby would never be able to put ours back together.
So why did you take it apart? Did it not work?

MsM

·
Registered
109 Posts
Question on how hands moved...

I see wires on the head and hands. How were they controled? I'm also thinking of doing my own organ, just looking for ideas. Thanks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What a gorgeous organ! Those photo's of the restoration look sooooooooo familiar lol
I remember thinking that hubby would never be able to put ours back together.
So why did you take it apart? Did it not work?

MsM
Whe we first brought home the organ, it did not work. I took it apart to see if I could quickly spot the reason why ( and we had originally intended to gut it and put in a mechanism to move the keys). I found the rubberized fabric on the bellows was cracked and had holes, and there were several cracks in the soundboard. All this will be fixed and the case refinished by next fall.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I see wires on the head and hands. How were they controled? I'm also thinking of doing my own organ, just looking for ideas. Thanks.
The mechanism for the skeleton's hands is like an FCG rig. The wire on his head is just to hold him in an upright position at the organ.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Perfect, thanks for the answer on the wires. Now I need to find patterns...

to build my own Haunted pipe organ. Anyone out there know of a site/link/post that has actual plans to download to create my own organ? I can figure out the basic construction but it's the details that make the scene for me. Something Victorian or old church style is what im looking for. Thanks. ;)

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
Whe we first brought home the organ, it did not work. I took it apart to see if I could quickly spot the reason why ( and we had originally intended to gut it and put in a mechanism to move the keys). I found the rubberized fabric on the bellows was cracked and had holes, and there were several cracks in the soundboard. All this will be fixed and the case refinished by next fall.
Sounds like a nice project. Do you know how to play the organ? Our organ worked fine but we decided to gut it anyway lol Here's a friend of ours messing around on it before we gutted. Hope you play better than him :D

http://www.msmeeple.com/organist.wmv

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sounds like a nice project. Do you know how to play the organ? Our organ worked fine but we decided to gut it anyway lol Here's a friend of ours messing around on it before we gutted. Hope you play better than him :D

http://www.msmeeple.com/organist.wmv
I've never played an organ but do play piano, so I hope it won't be too hard to switch. I went to Amazon.com and bought "A Treasury of Organ Music for Manuals Only: 46 Works by Bach, Mozart, Franck, Saint-Saens and Others", and will start practicing !

1 - 16 of 16 Posts