Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured since there were a few recent posts about crypts and mausoleums I figured I'd joing the fray and show my take. Only difference? Mine was not used for my FCG...oh, and mine didn't have a roof...:eek:

That's our "rising Nosferatu". He starts from a laying down position. The gates open by themselves, then he rises straight up, just like that scene from the movie in the cargo hold of the ship. Then his hands pop up into another of his "famous" poses from the movie. Then he lies back down and the gates close.

Changes we envision this year:
-Adding a "coffin" enclosure to better hide his pneumatic "guts". I welded the frame of the mechanism in a coffin shape, so this should be easy.
-Adding sconces inside the mausoleum with fake flicker-flame candles for a better "mood" instead of a giant red floodlight.
-Some sort of soundtrack? Not sure what this should be...
-Adding a roof...

Any other ideas would be appreciated for improving this prop. It was quite the show-stealer last year! I'll try and get a video posted soon.

-EEric

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,449 Posts
LOVE it! I'm a sucker for the classic movie monsters, and your Nosferatu is just amazing! I love the gothic arch door and the trailing ivy and stuff... beautiful!

The coffin idea would be great, but I imagine that in the dark, the workings aren't that noticeable. I love the idea of flicker lights too, but that red glow is pretty awesome!

I'm sure we'd all love to see how the animatronic works if you have a video... :D

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, everyone! We were pretty happy with how it came out. It kept people entertained for quite a while and prompted many questions from the parents' on how it worked.

The coffin idea would be great, but I imagine that in the dark, the workings aren't that noticeable. I love the idea of flicker lights too, but that red glow is pretty awesome!
You know, FG...that's a good point...especially if I change the lighting at all. The problem last year was that the floodlight was right inside the front wall so it illuminated the whole apparatus. With different lighting I could probably hide it without the coffin. But then again, I love putting in extra work that no one notices just to appease my nit-picky side. ;)

-EEric

·
Blood Moon Cemetery
947 Posts
Might as well do it too

I like it!

Here is my from 2008:

·
Hauntless
8,374 Posts
Eanderso, awesome! I love so many things about this, the gate (PVC ?) seeing Nosferatu and the animation. Love, love, LOVE this! I just need to borrow a pick-up truck so I can steal it.

Ooops, did I just say that out loud?

Zombie, another great crypt!

·
Undaunted Haunter
1,627 Posts
Very original, and nicely done. The mausoleum looks terrific. The gates, the pvc columns, the ropes and ivy, all very nice touches.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK...I finally figured out a way to rotate the videos I had 90 degrees so no one has to develop neck problems trying to view them. The quality kinda sucks, but it was taken by a friend on his digital camera. Also, the arm movements aren't what I totally want them to be, but it worked for the most part.

So here it is:
Nosferatu.flv video by NCchicka00 - Photobucket

-EEric

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Luckily I took lots of in-progress pics last year. So I can probably get a rough "how to" posted on my site or in the tutorials section here...Never mde a real how-to...I usually just kind of "do". :D

Thanks for the compliments, everyone.

-EEric

·
Registered
450 Posts
I figured since there were a few recent posts about crypts and mausoleums I figured I'd joing the fray and show my take. Only difference? Mine was not used for my FCG...oh, and mine didn't have a roof...:eek:

That's our "rising Nosferatu". He starts from a laying down position. The gates open by themselves, then he rises straight up, just like that scene from the movie in the cargo hold of the ship. Then his hands pop up into another of his "famous" poses from the movie. Then he lies back down and the gates close.

Changes we envision this year:
-Adding a "coffin" enclosure to better hide his pneumatic "guts". I welded the frame of the mechanism in a coffin shape, so this should be easy.
-Adding sconces inside the mausoleum with fake flicker-flame candles for a better "mood" instead of a giant red floodlight.
-Some sort of soundtrack? Not sure what this should be...
-Adding a roof...

Any other ideas would be appreciated for improving this prop. It was quite the show-stealer last year! I'll try and get a video posted soon.

-EEric

VERY cool! I am envious! Great job on it.

-Doc

1 - 20 of 21 Posts