Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Checking the various sites this weekend looking for good Memorial Day deals, and noticed many older animated props being retrofitted with the Digit Eyes.

Last year, I did see the same thing at Home Depot (the werewolf is the first that comes to mind), but now it seems like anything Seasonal Vision sells is getting reworked to have Digit Eyes:

Lunging witch now w/Digit Eyes

Sayings and motions are all the same, just the eyes added.

Lunging Reaper w/ Digit Eyes

I bought the old style of the lunging witch last year when it went on deep clearance, which it looks like may have been some of the online retailers clearing out for the new sku.

Curious to see what else has it. And these retrofits, are they battery powered or able to use shore power - remember everyone burning up their Digit Eyes in the 12’ skeletons when they tried to convert them to a wall wort power supply?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
275 Posts
MY old lunging reaper has a wall wort power supply, at least I don't think I'm missing it up.

·
Prince of Arkham Asylum
2,654 Posts
Checking the various sites this weekend looking for good Memorial Day deals, and noticed many older animated props being retrofitted with the Digit Eyes.

Last year, I did see the same thing at Home Depot (the werewolf is the first that comes to mind), but now it seems like anything Seasonal Vision sells is getting reworked to have Digit Eyes:

Lunging witch now w/Digit Eyes

Sayings and motions are all the same, just the eyes added.

Lunging Reaper w/ Digit Eyes

I bought the old style of the lunging witch last year when it went on deep clearance, which it looks like may have been some of the online retailers clearing out for the new sku.

Curious to see what else has it. And these retrofits, are they battery powered or able to use shore power - remember everyone burning up their Digit Eyes in the 12’ skeletons when they tried to convert them to a wall wort power supply?

Whoa!! So, I'm not a fan of most newer props, the old versions of these included, but those eyes bring the prop to life! I'd never have bought either of these, but with these new eyes, I'd definitely reconsider. Both props now have a much more realistic feel. I'm going to be a little hesitant only because if the eyes stop working, the props would be essentially useless IMO. At least when the old Gemmy props (Jason, Leatherface, Butlers) stop working, just their physical structure still is imposing.

I just wish these manufacturers would stop building props on thin steel frames and go back to something more sturdy. I hate that props these days are so unrealistic, with clothing that's so thin you can see through it, and it barely fits over the frame so you basically can see the pole and ring structure. If they'd only give the props more meat, I wouldn't think twice about purchasing.

In any case, depending on price I'd reconsider getting these newer versions.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
10,185 Posts
I think if you use these things every day for a month they're just not going to hold up. Some stuff is probably meant to only be used for a few hours once a week if that.

Since I only put stuff out the day of I generally don't have issues with most store bought props crapping out, but I could totally see them breaking down if used too much. That's why the stuff used in-store at Spirit doesn't work after the first week, they're on the entire time the store is open & that's just too much for this stuff.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I have props with both eyes and honestly I worry with these eyes they won’t last as long. Yes, very cool. No argument. And yes I get these premade props aren’t necessary made for the long haul but I can totally see being very disappointed if the eyes went out and the prop still worked.

Thanks for sharing though! It will be interesting to see if all props this year have those eyes.

·
Registered
275 Posts
would be nice if they made them seperate and you could intergrate them into other props. But quality on them would have to ocme way up.

I'm same way on usage my stuff usually just runs on 2 Saturdays at the campground and usually from 4 or 5 to midnight and that's it.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Someone had a how to make your own version of the Digital Eyes somewhere. I’ll have to dig around, but they worked fairly effectively in a treent he had built.

·
It's pronounced "Fronkensteen."
651 Posts
How weatherproof are those eyes? I know Home Depot had them in their 12' outdoor skeleton last year. Wondering how they hold up against the elements or are they primary meant for indoor props only?

·
Registered
199 Posts
I completely rebuilt my cauldron witch and used the Adafruit Monster Mask eyes. They look great and it freaked people out and that’s what it’s all about isn’t it? Ha ha! Granted, when they are off they are just black but my witch scene is only out on Halloween so no one sees her eyes when they are off.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts