Halloween Forum banner
41 - 60 of 62 Posts

Registered
Q. Where do you store all this stuff?
A. I use one of those vacuum bags, that you use for sweaters.
Q. No, really Where do you store it?
A. Its a real big bag
Q. How long does it take to put away?
A. about 15-20 minutes
Q. It must take a month
A. okay 30 minutes

Q. Do you decorate for Xmas
A. When is Christmas?

Q. You must like Halloween
A. When is Halloween? or OHH its Halloween?

Q. How much have you spend
A. About $100

I find those answers, stop any more questions, normally
On Halloween my goal is to open the door, give out candy and shut the door.
Create a creepy feel and make get a scream, with a scare
During setup, I'll often go back into the house as someone is approaching, so they can take it all in.

Jerseyscare
Yes, it is always the same questions...love it

Registered
I generally have no problem with neighbors reaching out and showing an interest. Some people are socially awkward and not strong with conversations, but they are trying. It鈥檚 allowed me to get to know quite a few people who I would not have normally talked to.

But鈥.. the one questionthat does get me a bit is 鈥︹︹ How you are going to top this next year.

Registered
I generally have no problem with neighbors reaching out and showing an interest. Some people are socially awkward and not strong with conversations, but they are trying. It鈥檚 allowed me to get to know quite a few people who I would not have normally talked to.

But鈥.. the one questionthat does get me a bit is 鈥︹︹ How you are going to top this next year.
Easy鈥 watch me!

Registered

I'm subbing the props for real bodies...you'll have to guess which are which.

Registered
We generally get lots of compliments too. I don鈥檛 want my post to overshadow that fact. We consider ourselves fortunate to still be able to do a display. I know each year I can definitely feel myself slowing down as the display gets bigger and bigger.

For the questions that are less than impressive I always wonder how people get to THAT question or statement? Lack of awareness? Social awkwardness as previously stated? It鈥檚 just an odd place to land at least to me. Kindness costs nothing after all.

Registered
I usually just get compliments.

I've had a few people say "you go all out, you must have kids?" 鈥 Nope, I am the kid.

They're all just making conversation though. None of it bothers me. I absolutely love this time of year, and everything that comes with it! 馃懟
I get that one too. And, my children don鈥檛 like Halloween which is highly unfortunate.

Registered
All of the Halloween decoration stays out ALL year at our house since we ran out of attic space. The skeletons lounge around the dining room table, the etagere has Halloween vintage items that are permanent displays and all the rest of the decorations are stored in the library and garage and sometimes the back porch, and oh yes, the bedroom. I always tell people "Halloween IS my Christmas!!!"

Registered
Regarding the "You MADE all this stuff?" question, I turn it into a nerdy infomercial. Depending on the age of the questioner, I tell them I was a physics major, then an engineer, then became a science teacher. I give them as much elaboration & explanation as they seem interested in. As with the member who said the query could be used to bring someone new into the hobby/obsession/lifestyle, I use it to show them the cool stuff you can do if you know science. Those with artistic skills (which AIN'T me!) could do likewise. Who knows - you could be the catalyst for a future Theatrical Arts major....

Registered
That鈥檚 the great thing about Halloween, is it really does tie into a lot of different fields: Theater, stage craft, engineering (mechanical & electrical), art, audio, landscaping, construction..etc.

It鈥檚 the one holiday that really anyone can apply their talent to, and is a great space to explore or enhance your abilities.

For those of us who are jack of all trades/master of none, it gives a forgiving outlet to explore different techniques.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Q- You guys must spend a fortune on this!

A- No. I scrounge and scrape and make as much as I can. I spend all year preparing for this to spread out the expenses as much as I can.

Q - So you spend a lot on it huh?

A - No. I scrounge and scrape and make as much as I can. I spend all year preparing for this to spread out the expenses as much as I can.

Q - I couldn't afford to do something like this for sure! Must be nice!

A - (SIGH).... I scrounge and scrape and make as much as I can. I spend all year preparing for this to spread out the expenses as much as I can.

Q - Where did you buy all this stuff anyways?

A - (Grinding teeth and cursing) I scrounge and scrape and make as much as I can. I spend all year preparing for this to spread out the expenses as much as I can.

The people that can't fathom that there are ways of doing something like this, without just throwing money at it and buying everything already made is astounding. Most people can't seem to wrap their head around the fact that someone would spend their spare time researching and building Halloween props instead of just buying things from Spirit or some other retailer. It's maddening sometimes.
Some people are doing "more important things" than making Halloween props- like watching TV or being "keyboard warriors" on the internet. So much easier than actually making a mess (unthinkable) or having fun building things with your own hands. (NOT) Everyone I know who makes things has an inventory of stuff. Stuff they pick up because "I might need this." Another unthinkable. Must streamline and be a minimalist, you know! I learned about the KonMari decluttering method. She says "What sparks joy in your life-keep." My problem is so many different things "spark joy" that I have an archive of it all. Live your life to enjoy it. Other people just don't understand. Their loss.

Registered
My #1 is probably where I store everything (or my husband asking 'where are you going to store everything?), but I also do as big if not a bigger Christmas display so people are truly curious, lol. I have saferacks in my garage just for this stuff.

I do like the complementary questions, like 'where did you get that' about something I made, or 'how do you come up with all of this'. That's really nice. I'm always happy when people are interested an engage.

Registered

You're not kidding. I put out a handful of things for easter just for fun and overheard one of the neighbors saying to another 'oh, she's not done, she goes all out'. I mean, I'm not going all out for every single holiday! I've apparently set expectations...

Registered
"That's the same stuff you had last year"
Actually, for ten years we ran a haunted garage with a different theme EVERY year. I made most of the props with discarded cardboard and Styrofoam boxes from work, and lots of plywood and used pallets. The lighting and a few props could be reused, but most of it was thrown away, thus negating the storage issue. However, it eventually got too expensive, and I had to stop.

Registered
Q. Where do you store all this stuff?
A. Basement
Q. No, really Where do you store it?
A. The Basement
Q. How long does it take to put away?
A. Less then 24hrs
Q. It must take a month
A. 24 hrs

then finally after all the BS鈥.

Q. Do you decorate for Xmas
A. No

I have to store everything in my attic and shed. No basement. But it does take me about a week to dismantle and a few weeks to install.

I throw up a few Christmas decorations to be festive.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts