Q. It must take a month
A. 24 hrs

then finally after all the BS….

Q. Do you decorate for Xmas
A. No

·
Registered
883 Posts
My other favorite (when they find out at least half the stuff is handmade), "How do you have the time?"

Uh ...

Do you watch a lot of TV? 2 hours a night over the course of a few years really adds up :) I think it is very relaxing to corpse a skeleton or paint a detached head. But if I say that I would sound like a lunatic.

·
Oak Lane Cemetery
2,128 Posts
Q- You guys must spend a fortune on this!

A- No. I scrounge and scrape and make as much as I can. I spend all year preparing for this to spread out the expenses as much as I can.

Q - So you spend a lot on it huh?

A - No. I scrounge and scrape and make as much as I can. I spend all year preparing for this to spread out the expenses as much as I can.

Q - I couldn't afford to do something like this for sure! Must be nice!

A - (SIGH).... I scrounge and scrape and make as much as I can. I spend all year preparing for this to spread out the expenses as much as I can.

Q - Where did you buy all this stuff anyways?

A - (Grinding teeth and cursing) I scrounge and scrape and make as much as I can. I spend all year preparing for this to spread out the expenses as much as I can.

The people that can't fathom that there are ways of doing something like this, without just throwing money at it and buying everything already made is astounding. Most people can't seem to wrap their head around the fact that someone would spend their spare time researching and building Halloween props instead of just buying things from Spirit or some other retailer. It's maddening sometimes.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My other favorite (when they find out at least half the stuff is handmade), "How do you have the time?"

Uh ...

Do you watch a lot of TV? 2 hours a night over the course of a few years really adds up :) I think it is very relaxing to corpse a skeleton or paint a detached head. But if I say that I would sound like a lunatic.
We made every gravestone in our haunt. They aren't perfect but we love them. I gave up "the where/how do you have the time last year. It's covid .... what else was I going to do??

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Q- You guys must spend a fortune on this!

A- No. I scrounge and scrape and make as much as I can. I spend all year preparing for this to spread out the expenses as much as I can.

Q - So you spend a lot on it huh?

A - No. I scrounge and scrape and make as much as I can. I spend all year preparing for this to spread out the expenses as much as I can.

Q - I couldn't afford to do something like this for sure! Must be nice!

A - (SIGH).... I scrounge and scrape and make as much as I can. I spend all year preparing for this to spread out the expenses as much as I can.

Q - Where did you buy all this stuff anyways?

A - (Grinding teeth and cursing) I scrounge and scrape and make as much as I can. I spend all year preparing for this to spread out the expenses as much as I can.

The people that can't fathom that there are ways of doing something like this, without just throwing money at it and buying everything already made is astounding. Most people can't seem to wrap their head around the fact that someone would spend their spare time researching and building Halloween props instead of just buying things from Spirit or some other retailer. It's maddening sometimes.
^^^^^^^^
All of this!! Every single word, every single SIGH!!! Every single TOOTH!!
Sometime, I'd like to find where they live (not really) & make snide comments about their lack of or ****ty Halloween Decorations

·
Registered
920 Posts
I always get the disgruntled looneys that get real mad when I don't light my display in the rain. I have had people pound on my front door to ask what was going on. The reply that i use that usually works is: "I don't like to play with electrical cords in the rain...do you?"😂

Also, the most annoying thing is when someone asks where I bought my home made props. Then they get a real confused look on their face and ask the question again Like I'm a liar.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Q. Where do you store all this stuff?
A. Basement
Q. No, really Where do you store it?
A. The Basement
Q. How long does it take to put away?
A. Less then 24hrs
Q. It must take a month
A. 24 hrs

then finally after all the BS….

Q. Do you decorate for Xmas
A. No
We decided to keep ours up indoors in the basement-it's a small alley. But now after only a few Halloweens (which are great because it can rain, be windy, no problem) we have a pandemic. So I've had to close it last year and this year...

·
Registered
124 Posts
The first question they ask is how long did this take to build? 3 years, and we did a little bit all the time-it was great fun. Not to mention a personal challenge. So instead of TV we'd paint or sculpt or build...

Attachments

·
Registered
124 Posts
Also asked-what did it cost to build al this? Hard to say but we used scrap wood and windows and old house paint, I hoard so plenty of creepy props and I used old stuff to transform them into new items: an old doll became a mandrake, an old book became the monster book of monsters, an old coin purse became the fanged furry wallet etc.

Attachments

·
Registered
887 Posts
The first question they ask is how long did this take to build? 3 years, and we did a little bit all the time-it was great fun. Not to mention a personal challenge. So instead of TV we'd paint or sculpt or build...

Also asked-what did it cost to build all this? Hard to say but we used scrap wood and windows and old house paint, I hoard so plenty of creepy props and I used old stuff to transform them into new items: an old doll became a mandrake, an old book became the monster book of monsters, an old coin purse became the fanged furry wallet etc.
Awesome build! Love it all!

·
Registered
528 Posts

Uh ...

This.

So many people don’t realize how much time they waste staring at the idiot box. I see people who can rattle off all the stats for every collage foosball game each fall, but doesn’t understand how someone can spend the hours to build a Halloween prop.

Heck, you could say that about any hobby to be honest. I know people who think nothing of spending 8-10 hours on a Saturday watching other people play games, yet balk at 6 hours of corpsing..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
220 Posts
"I can't wait to see what you do for Christmas!"
We put up lights...
"Are you putting up any NEW stuff this year?"
I got asked this while I was on the roof trying to secure a skeleton. Also, yeah, of course we are, but if our display isn't up to your standards feel free to do something better in your yard...
Most we just get "I love it" "my kids love it" or something similar

·
Typing Away
3,693 Posts
These are funny and YES I hear most of them every year. Last night some people saw my display for the first time and asked,
Where did you get this, this is the good stuff I never seen in a store? I made it.
How long does it take you to set this up? At least two days.
Then there is where do you keep all of it? Shed, House all over the place.
My neighbors would joke that I push a button beginning of October and it would all pop out the ground and Nov. 1 I push the button and it goes back in the ground. Wish it was that easy sometimes.

·
Registered
330 Posts
These are funny and YES I hear most of them every year. Last night some people saw my display for the first time and asked,
Where did you get this, this is the good stuff I never seen in a store? I made it.
How long does it take you to set this up? At least two days.
Then there is where do you keep all of it? Shed, House all over the place.
My neighbors would joke that I push a button beginning of October and it would all pop out the ground and Nov. ! push the button and go back in the ground. Wish it was that easy sometimes.
I want that button. :)

·
Registered
433 Posts
Being a haunter, to me, is similar to being the person who is out washing their car while the rest of the neighbors are trundling off to their sports events; they invariably holler out, "Hey, I'll bring my car over for ya to do next!" Ha haa ha; yeah, you just do that...
We have a primarily young age range of kids in our neighborhood (4-10), and they are the group that ask me if certain items will "be back" each year. They look forward to coming to our haunted pirate revels, and that is such an honor to know that our efforts matter to them!
So with that in mind, I've tried to recreate a "similar" display each year, adding a few new things along the way to keep it fresh and interesting.
I'm hoping that the nostalgia and tradition of visiting our "haunted pirate house" each Halloween will override any complaining about the displays being the same as the kids grow up.
And I'm sure they don't really believe that I keep all that stuff in my basement the rest of the year, and that is the number 1 question!
Now, I'm off to wash some neighbors' cars, charging $200 a car...

1 - 20 of 68 Posts