Halloween Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am making some tentacles to go with a tombstone and it would be great if they had a little movement. I was thinking of making a wobble board to mount them on. It's basically a platform that has a round thing on the bottom so it never sits flat, but is always off balance.

Has anyone ever used something like this to have a prop that moves with the wind? I can see how strong winds might knock it down, so I planned on staking the board thru the center with a piece of rebar thru a hole a little wider than needed.

If anyone has done this or sees reasons this is a bad idea, please let me know.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I actually have some ideas in my head to do the same type of thing, but I've never actually done it.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I tried something similar on my swaying zombie prop. I thought it would help make the legs move a bit which would improve the look.... like he was really walking rather than standing on the spot....
It did work but really didn't improve the look! It was clunky and just wasn't worth continuing to bother. I have a piece of flat bar welded in a T shape with the bottom or long part under the tire of my truck to hold it in place on the paved driveway. The top of T goes between the legs of zombie and has pieces of tubing welded to it for zombie PVC legs to slide over. I tested it with a pin in middle between legs to allow a rocking motion but didn't like the look it gave. The long piece of flat bar steel allows a bit of twisting motion when the pin was under the piece between legs. It was different but not better.... I plan on using it as shown in picture to just hold him up on driveway without pin under it.... Flat on pavement and painted black I hope in the dark it will blend into driveway and look like Zombie is free standing by himself. I may put an old rusty chain around one of his ankles to make it look like he is chained to truck wheel. That makes it more real that he is stuck there and legs not moving?
I am always looking for ways to have props standing that you can't see a piece of wood under them as a base or planks that look like he is on skis. This is easy when they are on the dirt as posts driven in ground hold great but out on driveway or on concrete it is more difficult.

I realize that this isn't exactly the same as you were talking about as the zombie moves with a wiper motor not by the wind etc. And this post is 9 months ago..... came up as "Recommended Reading" suggestion.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts