Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you ever feel that with all of the prep that we haunters do every October, that we are somehow missing out on the Halloween going on all around us?

I sometimes do... feeling a little like Charlie Brown's sister Sally:"HALLOWEEN IS OVER AND I MISSED IT!" Don't get me wrong - I LOVE being "that house." But part of me would also love to spend October curled on the sofa watching scary movies and TV shows, reading ghost stories, maybe doing some "Halloween tourism" or taking a fall foliage cruise... and just enjoying the whole October vibe. But with a busy work schedule, it is all I can do to use every spare hour getting my haunt ready for TOT night.

Anybody else ever feel like this?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yes. Thankfully this year my towns park and rec did a contest for displays. Sadly only 11 participants but it did get us as a family out to see the competitors. As we did we saw houses not in the contest which certainly should have been. My boss at work wanted to see mine and the others so we did some driver training and street familiarization. We got to see the gigantic dragon on a house, and I do mean Tolkien gigantic. But thankfully for me he wasn’t entered. I guess making national news was enough for him. Anyway until then I felt I hadn’t felt the “feels” from everywhere. Being in a contest gave me some cheer...winning wasn’t bad either :D

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,454 Posts
Yep.

I don't even have a big setup like others here, but I feel like I'm "that house" & enjoy doing it to but.....as you said I feel like I miss some other stuff too.

I've never been to a neighborhood where they decorate big time, I've never been to ANY haunted house anywhere (outside of Disney World's Haunted Mansion in 1985). The guy that lives behind us has a brother that helps run a big local pro haunt (they also do a local TV stations Halloween day set) so I could have an "in" to that sort of thing, maybe even volunteering at it but I feel like I want to be at home & yet.....yeah I'm torn too.

Especially after last year when we had 3-5 ToTers, I really just wanted to not do anything this year. Then once I heard the weather was going to be good last week I kinda got back into it but I completely understand that feeling because I feel the same way sometimes too.

·
Registered
567 Posts
The problem is, around here, there is no other stuff. Nobody else does any significant displays, there are two "professional" haunted houses that I've been through and was not remotely impressed. If they did a city-wide contest, I'd pretty much win by default, the "competition" is a couple of people that throw out a couple of inflatables and that's it. So my choice is really between doing what I'm doing and doing nothing.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Yep. Thats why last year was the final year for me and this was my first year to really enjoy it. It was a lot of fun. And no pain the next day, clean up was easy.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Yup, I feel that way a lot lately. Thinking of maybe taking a break next year or at least scaling back a bit. Especially after a low turn out for our party and then bad weather on Halloween that kept lots of tot's away. We have candy left over for the first time, yikes!!

Like most everyone here, I'm so busy the entire month just trying to decorate and set up outside that I feel like I "miss" out on the holiday a bit. We do go to a pro haunted house every year and I make sure to watch some spooky shows when I can, but it all feels so rushed and forced into whatever few hours I have left. And this year was especially tough since we had just finished a remodel at our house over the Summer, then we went to Europe and got back on September 30th, leaving me just October 1st to try and get all my décor out. It kinda sucked.

Basically, I feel ya. Maybe like others have suggested, taking a year off is the way to go. I even fantasize about going out of town for Halloween some day!! ha! :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am worried the less I do the less others will do and we will see more of a decline of houses decorating. I need to find a way to get more people inspired to decorate. Perhaps getting a few close neighbors to decorate, or let me decorate for them, and then try like heck to get local news to cover it.

Perhaps a pre halloween preview news story...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Actually we make every effort to try and make it to at least a few “haunted” attractions. We’re from New England and we used to make a trip to Salem each year or to Haunted Overload in Lee NH or one of the many haunts in the area. This year we were fortunate to visit Penn state penitentiary. We were unable to make the trip to sleepy hallow or to my next top option of the town of centralia Penn.

·
The Haunting Girl
864 Posts
I do miss going around and seeing all the houses, but at the same time I'm also too old to trick-or-treat. I have made an effort in more recent years to drive around town during the month of October and see what everyone is up to. For a small town we do have a lot of people actively decorating beyond just some basic décor. My landlord's have been babysitting their grandchild on the other side of town a few days a week and were telling me about houses I should check out all month (they take her for walks all the time).
I don't make the effort to go to haunted attractions. They just aren't that fun for me. I did try one year and I just wasn't enjoying myself. I suppose if I actually had some friends who wanted to go it would be different. This year and last year I actually worked in a haunted attraction and it was a lot more fun. Unfortunately I probably won't do it again next year due to health issues.
I do enjoy spending time at home working on things for my haunt and I do try to fit in some movies. I now keep up with Halloween Wars and Halloween Baking Championship every year. I frequently stop in stores during the season to see what's for sale, but I rarely buy anymore. I don't really feel like I'm missing out on things. My friends and co-workers constantly talk about things with me all season so even if I don't get to do things myself I get to hear about it from others.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I feel like this is my last year of decorating my house for Halloween. I'm a one man show. From concept to execution I do it all. I spend days putting up my decorations and several more days taking everything down and putting back in to storage. Most of my neighbors leave their lights off. I'm just tried of trying to do it all.

·
Registered
453 Posts
It's my 9th year of doing up the yard . The only year I felt I missed out on Halloween was last year and it wasn't because of the haunt. I was still trying to adjust to the full time work and Full time school so October blew past me. I did nothing but my Stones and fence with a few animated. You got to make time for all those fun stuff and just got to learn to let go of a project here or there, save it for next year if not there may not be a next year.

Even though I had to side a few projects the main one was finished. I watched 4 Halloween movies I never seen before and spent last Saturday evening driving around looking at others haunts. I usually get a Haunted walk, I go for ideas not so much for a scare, but this year I kept putting it off and they were over not a real lost at the moment. Decorating should be fun if it is so large it isn't time to slow down or scale down and enjoy the season.

·
crossfit zombie
7,452 Posts
I so far haven't felt that way.I soak in every lil nugget of Halloween I can.My set up takes norm 3 days.Then I have stuff planned out to do all October.On Halloween night I dress up drink some drinks and greet my guest chit chat with them.when that's done I settle in with more drinks and company ,food and movies.I wear Halloween themed clothes everyday of oct to.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I feel this, yes. Every year I try to find a good balance between "working" the holiday and enjoying it. I feel like I might have done better this year if I didn't get chicken pox mid-month which took about 10 days off the table. We also celebrate my birthday and anniversary in October, and while we can usually cram some kind of Halloween-themed anniversary celebration in (Sleepy Hollow this year), my birthday on the 20th usually ends up a Halloween casualty. This year I may not have had as many hot chocolate and scary movie nights, but I'm trying to remember to be grateful for what I WAS able to fit in AND still do the display.

Last year at this time I found out I had cancer (now removed) and it really makes me think that one never knows how many Halloweens one has left, and that we just have to keep trying to find the right balance between work and fun in this busy month. Life is too short to let our favorite season breeze by without an apple picked, a pumpkin carved, or a spooky night in! I think every haunter definitely struggles with this.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Although I enjoy every October, I do feel like I am missing Halloween events because I am busy planning my party etc. I do a simple outdoor display, but I also decorate my department at work and the inside of my house, both of which take more time than outside. I always keep things from the newspaper about Halloween events, but don't ever seem to get to them, even last year when I didn't have a party.

My plan for next year is to get out ahead of everything (easy to say now). I have a party theme picked, will have the food delivered and I have already started buying decorations discounted from this Halloween. I'm only going to add one or two things to the outside, one is simple garden fencing I can get during the year. Here's hoping.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Yep.

But we and our friends have a really good time at our party, and Halloween night is a relaxed affair with friends eating and drinking party leftovers and enjoying the Toters, that even though we swear it is our last year, inevitably we talk about how much fun it is, and start planning for next year.

I said this year it's senility setting in - we forget all of the frustration and pain involved, and say, "Sure! Why not?"

·
Registered
184 Posts
I don't feel that way because being "the witch" with the "cool Halloween house" is what Halloween is all about for me. I so enjoy Halloween night and talking with the folks who come out. I usually only have 25-30 TOTers, but lots of parents, grandparents, etc. who walk around and look at everything.

·
Registered
14 Posts
For the past two years we have done a “dress rehearsal “ the Sunday evening before without candy of course. Gives a chance to tweak what isn’t working well and for neighbors busy with their own haunts and folks from our church a chance to see .... and obviously show off a little.

·
Registered
16 Posts
In short (very short), I love Halloween because of the experiences I had as a kid (and teenager and adult.... I trick-or-treated for a lonnnngggg time.) But once I bought a house, I decided it was time to be on the other side of the door. Now my place has changed in the circle of Halloween life. Yes, it's a giant pain setting things up and putting them away (many have to be done on that day because they contain electronics and won't survive the late-night dew). But every kid that walks (or runs!) away says "That was cool!" or gets chided by their girlfriend "HA! You were so scared!" Now It's their turn to make some childhood memories. I like the title of "Oh yeah, this is that real spooky house!"

1 - 20 of 30 Posts