Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Shadow box dancer
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is a crazy question to ask here because everyone loves Halloween so much, but sometimes it gets to be too much for me. As of right now I am completely quitting any plans I had for my Halloween yard haunt. I may stick out my animated Wolf/Dog on the front porch and hang my FCG in the window, but that is it.

Does anyone else ever feel like this? I had this happen last year, but after a few days I was back at it building stuff. It has been close to a month now and I am still not wanting to do anything. I had stuff actually built and I just don't have the desire to do any more. I was going to have a mine themed yard haunt and now I am just not sure I even want to put out what I have let alone build more. I had been looking forward to Halloween being on a Saturday for 4 or 5 years too.

·
Shadow box dancer
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My answer is easy.......No. Halloween is a passion, you never give up on your passions.
I know this isn't the place to admit this, but I actually am not that big of a fan of Halloween. When I was younger my mom wouldn't let me do anything for Christmas other then put up Christmas lights on the house. I wanted to build all sorts of decorations. Moving jack in the boxes, life sized Santa and reindeer, a big moving train driving around the yard, gingerbread village, huge candy canes and all sorts of other stuff. She thought this was tacky and didn't fit in with her country decorating, plus it would be out in the yard all month. So we struck a deal one year, she would let build stuff for Halloween because it would only be out one night. Then it just became a tradition. So honestly I wouldn't say that Halloween was my passion per say, building props and decorations would be more of my passion.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,070 Posts
I think all of us have gotten burnt out over the years. Last year, I did Halloween and the party two nights in a row.... and I was soooo sick of looking at the stuff for several weeks after and told my husband that I didn't know if I ever wanted to do a party again.

I've been working off and on on projects since January, and there have been several months where I didn't do anything.

I suggest you tell yourself that you'll only doing something small - even if it is only a JoL on the porch and that's it. It will take the pressure off, and if you DO feel like doing more, so much the better. :)

·
livin Halloween every day
1,989 Posts
I never ever get tired of halloween or anything to do with it. I get frustrated sometimes with props but that only makes me work all the harder. I find myself thinking of halloween every day, it is a driving passion and force behind almost everything i do. I hope i never have those feelings happen to me.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I take every Presidential election year off. We get over 2000 TOTers every Halloween and our decorations stay up from late September right through Halloween. By the time Halloween comes and goes we are ready for a break. The year we take off is like magic! I miss Halloween but when everyone is in a state of panic I am just getting warmed up and building some of my best stuff!

·
Registered
457 Posts
If the urge to create isn't coming back, don't force it. You don't want to end up getting super frustrated or feeling resentful. Give yourself a break and wait for it to hit you again.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I had that problem last year. I started some paper mache pumpkins which I just stopped working on. I am not really sure why. I am just now ready to work on them again.

If you are not enjoying creating the props, try giving it some time. Work on something else you like to do for a while. Halloween should be fun, not a chore.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Every year, I say it is the last...somehow, every year - I am back.

People urge me to take a break one year, on the hopes it really keeps me going long term. I may try that soon.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
My haunt became too popular for it's own good! I'm a giver-upper.

I loved elaborate decorating, props, and giving out toys in addition to candy. That was fun and easy when there were only 50 TOTs, but word of mouth got the numbers into triple digits and I was simply overwhelmed and it wasn't fun any more. On each toy I gave out last year was a note stating that it was the last year for big givaways and decorations.

I'll do some decorating- and I still love Halloween, but for now- it's time to scale back.

·
Reaper
3,611 Posts
Sounds like a burned out year. Everyone gets them once in a while. Take a break off if you need one, no point in doing it if you're not going to enjoy the time you're spending on it. Maybe you'll come back to Halloween props maybe not, but I think you'll miss it when next year comes round...

·
Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,359 Posts
YHJ, its okay, it happens to everyone. Weather it's a burn out, or a lack of passion, or a feeling of futility due to the overwhelming demands you put upon yourself -- it happens.

I know I can't keep up this pace every season. I'm burning the midnight oil this year so that I can get a lot of props done and just sit back and coast for the next couple of years. I keep telling myself -- this year Halloween is on a Saturday night!!!

It helps.

Maybe you need to switch objectives? Go small for Halloween, and start working on that Christmas Train!!!!

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Thanks guys! Those words mean a lot to me. I think I will steal that Halloween Garden idea and concentrate on a small area done well.

I even tried NOT reading here for a few months. But I guess I'm not THAT done! heh heh

·
Shadow box dancer
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you are not enjoying creating the props, try giving it some time. Work on something else you like to do for a while. Halloween should be fun, not a chore.
I guess these are the words I was trying to use. I think it became a chore. I don't like having things that are purchased so that means I have to make everything. We had around 200 kids in 2008 and it was our first year back. The years we didn't have a yard haunt we got 30 kids max. With Halloween falling on a Saturday this year and people remembering we did it last year, the number could balloon from 200 pretty easily. Last year I got so much joy out of building things. This year I decided to go with a theme and it became a task instead of something fun.

The only down side side is that I most likely won't get to see TK's haunt even if I don't do anything. I think I will go to L.A. to see LisaLisa for Halloween and visit other people's yard haunts. I had a ton of fun doing that when I lived in L.A., maybe that will inspire me again. :D

Thanks for the suggestions. I think sometimes you just need to vent to people that can understand.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Ahhh, you got the BurnOut. It happens. When it happens to me, I step away from the craft table until the desire to create returns.
And if it doesn't, that's OK too. Everything runs it's own path, so just enjoy the ride. ;)

·
Mill Creek Haunted Hollow
6,359 Posts
I am anticipating a burn out in 2011. I'm going to skip Halloween that year -- or at least do a tiny Halloween -- and take the girls to Disneyland. I think that will reinvigorate my obsession.

·
Shadow box dancer
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
YHJ,
You need to do what feels right.
Take the year off.
Lots of great haunts in LA, go see and have fun.
Yep I am thinking that is the best option right now. I just informed LisaLisa that I am not going to do Halloween this year. So she might fly up here and we would go down to see DavisGraveyard and any other yard haunts in the Portland area. Or I will go down there and we will try and see our favorites in the L.A. area and try and see a few we haven't had a chance to see.

Thanks Wyatt

1 - 20 of 73 Posts