Halloween Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone, so I am wanting to try and build an escape room for my halloween party this year. I am going to use magnetic locks with a picoboo and maybe a keypad code or a light sequence puzzle. I want it to be mostly automated once kicked off so I was trying to figure out if there was any way I could have either a pc control the picoboo or controller board and how I would trigger them or if best route would be to have just the controller board run everything from the puzzle trigger to the video player I want to kick on when tripped. Issue I am running into is getting the setup to auto reset after solved when just using a controller board which is why I was leaning towards integrating a PC for automation.
I hope I am making sense lol it does in my head while I am trying to design it! Thanks for any help or input!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
There are lots of ways to automate it upon "kickoff", reset it, and even give automated help at different points in the game all with just an Arduino or other microcontroller. Heck, I can give you sample code that will send your players a text message with ghostly hints from the unknown beyond if they're taking too long to get past a particular point. BUT...

What you're doing is analogous bringing in a box of parts and asking if something cool can be done with them. You need to start with a storyboard of the puzzle--the theme, the decision tree/logical flow, the props, user inputs/triggers--then ask the question as it relates to specific elements of the puzzle.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I agree with KG - come up with the design first, then figure out what props & tech you need to make it work. Also, you've only got a little over six weeks, and that's actually not very much time for a project like this.

If you Google "designing an escape room" you'll find a bunch of articles on professional setups. There is also a ton of info out there on blogs and other sites.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Look into the Boobox flexmax. It has interruptible triggers and you can make escape rooms very easy. Did a few of them, I would setup a plan. Simple interprets can be weighted switches, break in beam, motion etc. Work backwards from finish to start make things easier

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies! Ya I went the route of a boobox to control the escape room and am also having a picoboo piggy backed off it. should get everything in by Friday so I can do some building this weekend and testing! Fingers crossed

1 - 5 of 5 Posts