Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've mentioned in past episodes of Hauntcast that pink and blue expanded polystyrene foam is toxic, that turns out to be false. Here are some interesting facts you should check out.

·
Monster Collector
3,385 Posts
Thats good to know because Ive been using my styrofoam heat cutter to make tombstones and signs for the last few hours. lol

·
Registered
14,269 Posts
I couldn't help but notice that the publication was a European based one. I don't know whether EPS is the same in both parts of the world. I have thought that California pulled EPS a few years ago to reformulate it to meet California standards (which frequently are more stringent than other states). Thought that i might have read it on one of the manufacturer's website's under their press releases. Last year I started to see it back in places like HD and Lowe's but it was impossible to find in California before then.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Europe has much stricter standards then even California does, typically.

·
Registered
14,269 Posts
Europe has much stricter standards then even California does, typically.
I've heard that about certain items compared to here. However I guess my point is still that just because it's "not toxic" so to speak in Europe doesn't mean that is what is being sold here. It might make people in Europe feel better but unless a report is done here on U.S. EPS than I wouldn't jump to that conclusion.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I've heard that about certain items compared to here. However I guess my point is still that just because it's "not toxic" so to speak in Europe doesn't mean that is what is being sold here. It might make people in Europe feel better but unless a report is done here on U.S. EPS than I wouldn't jump to that conclusion.
Oh yes, definitely. I don't think I'd want the junk floating around in my lungs regardless. Even if it's non-toxic, it's still not good for you.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I tried reading the article but i'm a dummy.
Can someone explain what this means in language a 5 year old would understand?

Is this like the styrafoam sheets we buy at Home Depot?
Or the large blocks of styrafoam used for shipping material with the blue plastic on either side that I can find if I go dumpster diving?

If I'm using one of those heat cutters do I have to worry about fumes?
Do I have to worry about dust from cutting/sawing them into pieces?

I've always wondered about that.
Can anyone ease my mind?

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm not recommending not wearing a mask. I still would wear a mask and work outside. Better to be safe than sorry.

·
Wild Fandango
1,494 Posts
Thats good to know because Ive been using my styrofoam heat cutter to make tombstones and signs for the last few hours. lol
Might want to be careful there... it's only nontoxic at room temperature. I'm pretty sure my Tervis Tumbler will be toxic if I set it on fire! :D

And yeah, it may be an EU/US difference and the US version may still have bad bad chemicals in it that give cancer to mice if they eat five hundred pounds of it per hour. :rolleyes:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts