Halloween Forum banner

"A Black Sherriff - Inappropriate Epitaph or Not

• You may want to try a different quote.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Use it!

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow haunters...

I need some advice on an epitaph I want to use for a tombstone. First, a bit of a back story. I am a HUGE Mel Brooks fan! I can almost quote all of his movies, except Silent Movie. Never sounds quite right.

So, to pay homage to his actors that have passed, I wanted to create a few tombstones for them and use quotes from the movies they were in as their epitaphs. For example,

Marty Feldman
"Damn your eyes! Too late..."

Peter Boyle
"Enngggggghhhhhh"

Alex Karras
"Mongo like candy"

Harvey Korman
"That's HEADLY!!!!"

But the one I'm debating on the most is Cleavon Little. I want to use "A black sherriff !?!?", but I've been told this might be a bit inappropriate or even racist to those who aren't familiar with Mel Brooks, Blazing Saddles, or Cleavon Little. May even send off the wrong message to ToTs, and I really don't want to do that!

There are plenty of other quotes I could use from Blazing Saddles, but I really liked this one, so I thought I'd send it to you guys to see if it seemed inappropriate or not. Please let me know your thoughts. If you don't want to comment, just use the poll option.

Thanks.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Being in the South, you may raise unwanted attention to yourself and your haunt. My personal rule of thumb is: if you have to ask if it is a good idea, it's probably not.
If you can't find another one for Cleavon, try one for Slim Pickens- Buried under a s***-load of dimes!
HM

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How about this one for Cleavon Little:

"Candygram for Mongo ! Candygram for Mongo !!"
That's a good one... I could put this one next to Alex Karras' stone.

I was also thinking of "excuse me while I whip this out" for Cleavon's

I was also thinking of:
Madaline Kahn
"She was tired of playing the game"

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Being in the South, you may raise unwanted attention to yourself and your haunt. My personal rule of thumb is: if you have to ask if it is a good idea, it's probably not.
If you can't find another one for Cleavon, try one for Slim Pickens- Buried under a s***-load of dimes!
HM
Ooh, I like this one for slim Pickens...

·
Mad Monster Maker
2,673 Posts
For Slim Pickens, you could use the quote from the quicksand scene, when Cleavon Little hits him with the shovel....Slim Pickens was saying "Send a wire to the main office, and tell them that I say OWWWW!!!"

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Love that one for Slim, but for John Candy, I was thinking "He's going down there, I wouldn't"

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
HM
I agree 100%. If you are asking, then you shouldn't do it.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, thought of another one, but not for Cleavon, for Alex:

Alex Karras
"Mongo only pawn, in game of life"

My wife brought up another point, some people may not know who these people are or what movie I'm quoting. Do you think I should put their character name and movie under their real name, like this:

Alex Karras
1935 - 2012
Mongo - "Blazing Saddles"

Or is that too much?

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Your wife is right. A lot of people might not have seen all the Mel Brooks movies. I would probably one of those it would help. I don't think it would be to much to read, but it would be extra work for you as far as carving.

·
Mad Monster Maker
2,673 Posts
Ok, thought of another one, but not for Cleavon, for Alex:

Alex Karras

My wife brought up another point, some people may not know who these people are or what movie I'm quoting. Do you think I should put their character name and movie under their real name, like this:

Alex Karras
1935 - 2012
Mongo - "Blazing Saddles"

Or is that too much?
That's a great quote for Mongo. I think your wife has a good idea; more information would allow more people to 'get it'.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, looks like I have another stone for my Mel Brooks memorial. Sid Caesar passed today at the age of 91. Unfortunately he didn't have any lines in History of the world, Part One except for, "Awe". Need to go back and rewatch "Silent Movie" and see if there see any good one liners.

Rest in Peace Mr. Caesar.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Another possible quote that may be fun to try might be "A man drink like that and he don't eat, he is going to DIE."
But I'm with Pumpkin Head, "Candy gram for Mongo" is an excellent quote as well :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts