Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anybody have any how-to's on creating either backlit signs or just a basic entry sign? Im looking for something that will display my haunted houses name but all i can come up with is a basic word document printed up and cut out of a piece of plywood. internet searches are pretty dry too :mad:

·
Registered
393 Posts
I did a really cool sign this year. I don't have a how-to, but it's pretty straight forward. I used a dremel with a cutting bit. I just free-handed the letters, but you could also print something out on paper and tack it to the wood or styrofoam. I used 3/4" pine wood. If I were to do it again, I'd use styrofoam instead. The cutting bit made a high-pitch screen when cutting the pine, and I had to stuff toilet paper in my ears to keep them from bleeding, lol. If you are using styrofoam, you can just use a knife to cut out the lettering. Be careful with letters that have "circles" in them, like the letter "A". You need to leave little stems so the middle part of the "A" doesn't fall in. Then I cut small wood strips to cover the bottom, top, and side edges. Then I took a string of orange LED lights and fitted them along the edges of the back side of the lettering. Then I put a pine back panel and close it all up with some short wood screws. Then it was painted gray and detailed with dry-brushing by my niece. Here's what it looks like:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts