Halloween Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so maybe not this halloween but I ordered some stuff to play with in the next 370 so days. My build days are done this halloween. Here is what I bought so far to get me started...I hope.

4 outlet dimmer pack

enttec Open DMX

Female 3 to 5 male adapter

I still need to purchase VSA 4.0 but this should be enough to get one prop going correct?

I used a picoboo 105 and though it was really easy to set up but for $120 the price was kind of high and it only had 2 inputs. At $50 a relay pack it seems pretty nice and it has 4 inputs. I really hope I'm not overlooking anything. Down the line I'll get an Exorcist and DMXorcist when the props get more complex.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Now remember, DMX can also be used for Christmas displays With the dimmer pack you can program lights to follow music

·
Hauntless
8,371 Posts
Don't forget the true DMX cables. I ran into a nasty gotcha in the field. There are true DMX cables and then there are microphone cables that are marketed as DMX cables but are not. Cheaplights.com uses the microphone cables but calls them DMX cables. Musician's Friend sells true DMX cables.

Here's a picture of microphone cables:

Here's a picture of true DMX cables:

What seems to be a good indicator is the black connectors of the DMX cables. The microphone cables have silver connectors.

Here's a good video that describes the difference:

Now I got a DMX terminator that helps keep glitches from happening. You put it at the end of you DMX chain. Not sure you need it or not for this simple set-up.

/

1 - 3 of 3 Posts