Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry...but I just have to vent a little here....seems everywhere I have gone the last 3,4,5 years has been nothing but gore and zombies....even baby zombies....enough already. what about the rest of us that like anything else other than gore and zombie babies???? OK-- I know there are other decorations and props....but its like 80% to 20%. For years.....Vintage, classic..what ever you want to call it sells....when ever I see those types of decorations...they sell out fast....

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
EVERYWHERE you've gone? Really? Because the only place I ever recall seeing zombie baby props is Spirit/Spencers.
If you're looking for classic ghost and witch type props and décor they are in abundant supply, even at places like Home Depot.

·
A Great Pumpkin
3,103 Posts
Try your local Good Will/thrift store. They get some good vintage stuff and are usually fairly inexpensive. Maybe check out a party store or card shop; they might have more what you're looking for. My least favorite thing is glitter, and even though you see it in almost all the stores, I just do the eyeball scroll and sweep right by it to look for whatever else is there. Hope you're able to find something more to your taste :)

·
It's pronounced "Fronkensteen."
600 Posts
The gore factor has seemed to increase in recent years but there is a wide variety out there. I don't go for the gore myself, I like to go for "spooky" and maybe a little "creepy". I'm more annoyed by all lame inflatable or over Glittered items around. I guess those who don't have time for their own creativity can stick some big blow up balloon in their yard and be "decorated" for Halloween. Everybody has their own ideas and I guess it really depends on the audience you are catering too.

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
The gore factor has seemed to increase in recent years but there is a wide variety out there. I don't go for the gore myself, I like to go for "spooky" and maybe a little "creepy". I'm more annoyed by all lame inflatable or over Glittered items around. I guess those who don't have time for their own creativity can stick some big blow up balloon in their yard and be "decorated" for Halloween. Everybody has their own ideas and I guess it really depends on the audience you are catering too.
All inflatables aren't lame

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
I don't see the need to be annoyed at all. Don't like something? Move along and find what you do like. There's plenty of variety to suit us all. Whether you choose to turn your yard into Inflatable City or a demon zombie ax murderer blood bath, it's all good.
Smile; It's Halloween! :D

·
Going bump in the night..
3,388 Posts
Next years big seller: inflatable gory zombie baby animals covered in glitter with LED eyes that "speak" with the built in soundtrack of canned demonic laughter and high pitched screams, all the while playing its own atmospheric sound effects, with on-board fog maker with built in ice chiller for the fog, all of which will break down at sundown on Halloween.

Pre-order yours today!

·
Lighthearted Halloween
3,795 Posts
I guess those who don't have time for their own creativity can stick some big blow up balloon in their yard and be "decorated" for Halloween.
Whoooooaaaaaa there. haha That was not nice at all.

Welcome to Halloween Forum. A wonderful supportive and incredible resource of creativity and talent. A place of TOLERANCE and encouragement.
You might want to take a look around a while and enjoy the variety of decor the membership has to offer.

Happy Early Halloween Therewolf.

·
Master Crypt Keeper
2,734 Posts
While posting your opinion is encouraged please do not bash fans that like inflatables. They are not all the same.

·
Here to burgle your turts
2,305 Posts
There's some amazing inflatables nowadays. There's also amazing people who do amazing things with less than amazing materials. But beyond that, if someone who may not have a ton of time and/or skill puts out inflatable out on their lawn instead of turning off the porchlight and hiding in the basement, that's a huge win as far as I'm concerned. Way too many people who don't participate in Halloween to pick on those who put in some effort.

And while I'm not a huge fan of gore myself, I think there's enough variety out there for everyone. Our yard is pretty much all classic monsters and judging from the feedback, they still hold a lot of appeal.

·
Funeral Crasher
7,443 Posts
I agree with you. I'm not into gore and I've gotten tired of all the zombie stuff. Even on TV, it's zombie this, zombie that. And they don't even act like REAL zombies. They run around like they are trying out for the Olympics or something.

I always thought Halloween decorations should IMPLY the essence of danger and fear--from a monster, witch, werewolf or whatnot. Not show the end result of that danger----body parts, bloody entrails, decapitated heads.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
412 Posts
If you enjoy a theme or method of decorating, certain story, style - run with it and don't worry about filling 'trends' others either like or don't like. Halloween decorating would get very dull indeed if no one experimented or did it differently, brought in different angles or influences or focused on what they personally liked. I might not have use for a glittery skull or just brains in jars or whatever, but I wouldn't hesitate to put out either a blow mold or a fiji mermaid, find the right context. Variety is the spice of Halloween.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I always thought Halloween decorations should IMPLY the essence of danger and fear--from a monster, witch, werewolf or whatnot. Not show the end result of that danger----body parts, bloody entrails, decapitated heads.

Just my opinion.
In my opinion, body parts, bloody entrails, and decapitated heads lead people to believe there is a danger. If used in a manner to demonstrate that there is something there that did this to the last people, I believe that can strike fear in people.

Though I am a fan of the zombie stuff, so I may be off base with my opinion.

I also am not a fan of the inflatables. Nor do I like the "cute" Halloween decorations. For me, Halloween is meant to thrill, scare, and spook. Inflatables and silly characters don't do that. They are great for places that will be attended by children and people that don't appreciate scary stuff though!

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I actually think it's pretty awesome that so many of us like different things. Personally, I don't go in for the gore or zombie babies either, but if someone else loves that stuff & it encourages them to decorate? Sure! Have at it! I don't at all like torture scenes & clown stuff makes me run in fear, but some people are willing to pay money to have clowns chase after them, and that's okay. Crazy, but okay. LOL!

I love the bone skeletons like the birds, spiders, rats & scorpions, even though I know they aren't anatomically correct. But I'll never own a cat skeleton because they actually make me feel a little sad, which I know might be weird. I have two beloved cats who are buried in my back garden though, so it just doesn't feel right to me to have one as a Halloween decoration. But of course they are on the shelves along with the other boney creatures. I just choose not to buy it.

Having a Satan prop on display doesn't feel wrong to me, but I know some people who would think that was a serious problem. Do I think that some décor is offensive? Yes, I do. I think there are some things that are better kept privately in your home if you like it, rather than displayed in your yard. Part of my mindset comes from having small children - I don't really think they need to see some stuff. I know that you can't please everybody all the time though, but I personally think it's a good idea to think about your audience.

To me, Halloween is a community event. I'm inviting people into my yard as guests, and I want to treat them as such. So I want them to have a good time & feel happy that they came to see us because we made their night better. Not cry or feel sad or disgusted. But you know, every year we get kids crying because even though we try not to be TOO scary, you never know just what's going to set them off.

I guess my long-winded point is to say is that we all add our own bit of Halloween, and I'd rather see a large variety of props available rather than a limited amount, even if some of them aren't to my taste.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Speaking as a former resident of the Zombie Capital of the World, the Greater Pittsburgh/Monroeville Area, I can state you can never over-do zombies. :) That being said, I would whole-heartedly agree that zombie babies was, is, and always will be, a lame idea. Second, what over-use of zombies we are seeing now is a warm and welcome relief from the sexy-to-women pirates craze we had to endure for over a decade after Pirates of the Caribbean came out and every person without an extra Y chromosome went gaga for Johnny Depp. Thank God that one finally came to an end!

As for props, I've often said we are our own worst enemies. I've been to dozens of year-round Christmas shops that sell fabulous decorations. Why? Because people pay full price for them. Too many haunters window shop until 11/1 then fall in on every store in town to get half-off deals. That means that every $100 prop you see has to be made to actually sell at $50 by a retailer, which means it has to be made to sell by a wholesaler for $35, which means a manufacturer has to make it to sell at about $25. You know how much prop $25 makes? Not much. The only way we'll ever see more non-niche and higher-quality props is if people start buying them at full or near full retail, and that's not gonna happen with this crowd.

That's why my family and I have set about making our own props. We get the character, quality, and price we want.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts