Halloween Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, for those of you who might not have heard, my mother in law has major health issues right now tying up my wife's time.

As a result , she doesn't have the time to plan my daughter's B-day party as she wanted to, and I got word today it's in my hands. The Witch's tea party is ON!!!

One stipulation, it must be cute and girly.

Added difficulty: April 1st, or shortly before/after.

Added difficulty: Different than the last one I threw. http://www.halloweenforum.com/party-ideas-experiences-and-recipes/123113-unorthodoxs-witchs-tea-5-year-olds.html?highlight=

Sooo...The boss WANTED to do a 'pet adoption' party, since my daughter loves stuffed animals so much. I've already decided to incorporate that. We'll just be sure those pets are their BLACK CATS!

So, with the black cats, we have pet naming and collar decorating as a no-brainer activity.

Thinking of doing magic wands in place of the hats for decorating as well, and Talia has requested a pinata. (A tombstone shaped pinata, no less...)

Combined, we're looking at hour, hour and a half-ish worth of activities. I'd like maybe something else to flesh it out a bit. Something not decorating this or that. Open to ideas.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
It sounds like fun, and it looks like the last one was a blast for them!
Maybe a witch-oriented scavenger hunt?
I always tried to incorporate a little running around (outside if possible) to get some of my DD's friends' energy burned off. It doesn't even have to be competitive-- they can all look together and move on to the next thing when they find all the listed items.
Along the same lines, tossing something (bean bags with witchy items stenciled on? They could have pretty orange or black lace ...if you're interested, I could put some together. If not, that's ok too.) into a cauldron might work.

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
I have quite a few games that would work. Send me an email address if you want them. they were some that texaslucky sent to a victim last fall. I have them saved in a Word document.

Also the offer for the big witch is there if things have changed. She would be a hit---maybe sort of like the sorting hat to sort out the animals?????' Pic of her is in Talia's pictures on that thread.

Some of the things we made for Halloween games (a few feature witches) are on my Pinterest under Halloween games.

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
FYI, one of the biggest hits of the night was pin the nose on the witch. I printed out this free graphic---on 11X14 paper in color. All the kids loved it. Even the older ones got into playing it. Dang it won't upload because it is a PDF file. Here is the link to it: Pin the Nose on the Witch

Witch Golf was also fun. Dollar Tree has the golf club and balls.

Melt the Witch is an option. We didn't do this because of the mess in October.

Here is the link to my games page. There are several versions of Witch Pitch where you toss things in a cauldron. I love the toss the ring over the witch hats. We used glow necklaces for the rings one year and pool water rings another.

You could do a version of Are You A Good Witch or a Bad Witch with them having to do a variety of things. One thing I am doing this year for my walk thru at Halloween is a version of this that I picked up on the other Forum from Rahnefan. It is called the Pumpkin Judge in his Haunt that is called The Witch-Hunter's Barn. You could use something instead of the pumpkin. The guy who does this did it as Are you a witch? You could just vary the comment and use good or bad or something along those lines. Are you a witch prop.jpg

If you want to do something like your Spell Casting before, look up some of the potion and spells for the Harry Potter parties. There are so many things tht you could set up quickly for them to do by adding household ingredients together to have magic in the potions. Even some of them are edible. I have tons of them in various places on my boards. Mostly on the Harry Potter ones.

Let me know if the big witch is something that could be done and I will get on it.

Magic Drinks---this is too cool.

Some magic potions to use:
Bubbling one

Tons of magic potions

We started to do a Fortune Teller's party this year for my granddaughter. At the moment it is off because she thinks she wants a skating party. I am on hold with plans. Here are a few fun links for girls.

Crystal ball idea
Magic quote
Good Fortunes for girls
Constella the Oracle free spinner game

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
I also forgot about my Pinterest board called Magic Potions. It has a lot of simple potions and the ingredients. There is a cool one on there that is called a Wizard Book.

It is a cool book of potions for a Wizard that could be changed to a witch.
On that page which was done by a teacher, there is a link to a Spell Book that also can be printed out. They may be too young for the girls. I am not really sure since I don't have little ones at home.

·
Registered
13,894 Posts
If you go with a scavenger hunt maybe you could hide items that would go into jars in a witch's cabinet...like spiders, eyes, scorpions. They should look at the empty jars and read the labels to see what items they need to bring back. Throw in some false items. Person or teams that come back first with the correct items for the jars win.

I'm sure it means a lot to your MIL and your wife that your helping out with the party enables them to spend the time together, and this is a great time for dad to step in again and throw a great party! Have fun. Loved the previous party. The girls are so cute!

·
Super Moderator
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also the offer for the big witch is there if things have changed. She would be a hit---maybe sort of like the sorting hat to sort out the animals?????' Pic of her is in Talia's pictures on that thread.
I'm torn on that, really, and when I'm torn I tend to take the side of caution and say no. I'm really trying to shoot somewhere between Glenda and West. (Figured black cats don't really mean one way or another.) So, trying to avoid the traditional hag as much as possible.

Probably be showing Kiki's Delivery Service in the background, for instance. (fantastic show if you haven't seen it)

It's a bizarre tightrope I'm walking, I know. It's not just my wife, here, but Talia has to live with these friends too. I get it, it's Utah. Fact is, there are kids that will not be allowed to come just because it's a "Witch's" tea. She's already inviting a slew of social barbs as the girls get older. We had some complaints on the spellcasting last time. "what am I teaching those kids!?" While I can brush that off easy enough, we're entering the age where the girls start getting that mean girl thing going. Already had some issues there, trying not to add too much fuel to that at the same time.

Fantastically busy weekend.

Cats ordered. http://www.amazon.com/Webkinz-Halloween-Black-Limited-Edition/dp/B000VAUAKO
Jewels and ribbons for the wands bought.
"Ripstone" pinata 80% (Talia called it a ripstone originally, not knowing the origin of R.I.P or the real name)

Gotta decide if I'm making wands from branches or buying dowels.

Tried some of those harry potter potions and made a royal mess in the house. The one I REALLY wanted to get going just wasn't working well.

·
Registered
268 Posts
You could set up a witch dressing room/ photo booth station as an activity for the girls. Stage an area for background and have a table of assorted accessories for the girls to pick from. Find an old frame and take the picture and glass out, get out any witch hats, wands, capes, feather boas, wigs you may have on hand. The girls can take pics with their new pets and with each other. They will have so much fun with this and you can either print the photos on your computer and send them home or print them out at your favorite store and mail them in the thank you cards.

·
Super Moderator
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You could set up a witch dressing room/ photo booth station as an activity for the girls. Stage an area for background and have a table of assorted accessories for the girls to pick from. Find an old frame and take the picture and glass out, get out any witch hats, wands, capes, feather boas, wigs you may have on hand. The girls can take pics with their new pets and with each other. They will have so much fun with this and you can either print the photos on your computer and send them home or print them out at your favorite store and mail them in the thank you cards.
Bonus points for incorporating my love of using my camera.

·
Scaring kids everywhere!
3,702 Posts
I saw this how to video on making no sew Kiki's hair bows and thought of you. (It's very easy.) Depending on on what you think of the girls ability and how many girls are coming this could either be an activity for them or somthing you have ready for them.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CY5ys7MyTKU

·
Super Moderator
5,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I saw this how to video on making no sew Kiki's hair bows and thought of you. (It's very easy.) Depending on on what you think of the girls ability and how many girls are coming this could either be an activity for them or somthing you have ready for them.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CY5ys7MyTKU
Ooh, that's nifty. I might have to put that aside for Halloween someday, too.

Crappy/busy weekend. Mother in law's health continues to slip. Now completely bedridden, they made the decision to stop treatment and contact hospice last week. Moved furniture to fit the hospital bed Friday. Wife's looking at losing both parents (one unexpectedly) in 6 months, both under 65.

Anyhow, onto the happies/making this as normal as possible for my daughter.

Took her out on Saturday and filled the pinata. Just have to finish putting the hanging string/top on it tonight and painting it. Hoping I hit that fine line of hard to break but not impervious. I famously made a pinata all the kids gave up on. (I was told to make one that 50 kids from age 5-12 could all have a turn, so I made it tough. Adults and a baseball bat were required...) The tombstone shape is rough in pinata form (though paper mache may be an untapped avenue to make tombstones, folks). The face of the tombstone should break easy enough, but the sides are near impervious just to hold the shape.

Pet collars made from beads and pipe cleaners, they can put the names on the collars.
Got adoption forms.
Wands just bought dowels, considering making "handles" out of hot glue designs.
Stick on gems for the wands.
Making cupcakes
Since many saw the spellcasting last time and Talia has seen the behind the scenes, probably just going to have the bubbling cauldron in the room.

Considered several potions above, and unfortunately, a girl had a birthday party this last weekend that was science themed, and they did all of them there as science experiments, so going to have to figure something new.

Part of me wants to do a "seance" and scare the crap outta some of them, but the whole local religious sensibilities and all... especially Easter weekend...

Which brings me back to Ostara ideas, and crystal eggs...http://paganwiccan.about.com/od/ostaracrafts/ht/CrystalEggs.htm

Gotta run that by the boss.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts