Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
theres several ways to build a haunted shipwreck scene.i decided one day that i wanted a creepy haunted pirate scene in my yard.i loved the fog and liked the thought of a murky old shipwreck.i sat down and drew what i had in mind.after looking at it,i thought....i can build that,at least simulate what i had on paper.i do this to alot of things i build.putting it on paper gives me some perspective.i decided to build a one sided facade of a shipwreck.remember ,the night is our friend!night hides the imperfections.and as always,i had to build big.

i was not going to be satisfied with a little pirate scene.this led to bigger problems that i'll get back to.i had a ton of building material donated to me when i did a halloween trail a year before.alot was left over. so the first thing i did was figure out the scale.i got 12 pcs of plywood.i built the facade in 3 sections.each section consisted of 4 pcs of 4+8 sheets of plywood.i layed all 3 sections on the ground.a section layed out was 8' high,16'long.

i took a black sharpy pen,my picture i drew and started drawing the jagged shape of the swipwreck on the plywood.i dreww cannon holes and cracks.after i had the entire shipwreck drawn,i numbered each of the pcs of plywood.that way,after i cut out the sides with a jigsaw,i could put the sections back together like a puzzle.now i had to stand up the sides of my ship.take 2 4+4 treated post,space atleast 6 foot apart and put in the ground.i used post hole diggers,and dug atleast a foot down.then i built a wood frame on the post.then i screwed the sides of my ship on the frame.i did this for each section.i then had got a bunch of free heavy duty pallets and stacked behind the sections.i stood props on top of the pallets.this took me a day.i was so proud of how the sides turned out.i then used a paint sprayer and a couple of gallons of paint,and covered the whole ships sides.after that dried,i took a can of flat black paint and trimmed the edges and made cracks in the hull.this gave the ship some definition.you will see this in the pics.now....here

came my dillema.i needed to make the mast and sails very big and tall,to look right with the big scale of the ships hull.i couldn't have a 8' tall ship with a 12 ft mast.plus the ship after setting it up was almost 60' long. so i decided to use a 4+6+ 16 post,screw another 12' 2+6+12 to the main post.i added another 4' pc of pvc pipe with a torn pirate flag on top.so the main mast is over 30'high. i used 1+3+10 of lumber for the cross sections.i had got some grey fabric from wal-mart for a $1 a yard to make my sails.i stapled the fabric to the cross pcs and ripped up the sails.two reasons for this.one was for the look and the other reason was so the wind could go thru the sails and not have a bunch of resistance.the main mast was tripled sailed.warning! this mast was very heavy! it took a couple of us to stand it up.we secured it with screwed in bracings and rope. be sure you over secure this part of your display.i also added roping near the top of the mast.after we stood it up we tied the roping all over the shipwreck.i also put strips of netting and camo netting all over the sails for the swampy look. i built a pvc mast on both sides of the main one. they were around 18'to 20' high,single sailed.i secured these with long rebar stakes in the ground and secured with rope.up on the stand of pallets i added a ships wheel that i built.and the ship was built! now i had to outfit the shipwreck.i built cannon barrels out of some lg pvc pipe(painted flat black)stuck them in the cannon holes(4).i also built a free standing cannon for the front of the ship.i added some pirate props that i had got over the years.added a treasure chest with loot,added rum barrels,old crates,buzzards,roping,netting.added some spinning pirates.added 2 fog machines,a stereo sound system with the john carpenter the fog sound track playing. i also built a pirate dock for the front of the shipwreck.added camo netting for this for that swampy feeling as well.i lit the whole shipwreck scene with at least 12 blue and green floodlights.i must say,that this turned out better than i imagined it would.its so big that i leave the ships sides up all year.plus its starting to warp and look old.great for a decaying old shipwreck.anybody got any questions,just ask.i'll be adding pics with the post later today,for a visual of my how to. sorry this is so long.....its a very big how to! hope you guys like the tutorial on my ghostship! wilkster

·
Registered
14,216 Posts
That's some vessel. It looks great in your yard. I'll be checking back and would love to see more close up pics of the ship area and props if you took them. The masts looked amazing. Loved the "moss" on the sails too. How did you construct your cannons and mount them to your wall?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Nice work, a big project to tackle... I don't know if I could think that big with the limited labor I have available. Great job!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts