Halloween Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i am a high schooler who loves halloween and haunted houses. I have been haunting one way or another for quite a few years now. I love being as professional as can be and detail my scenes to the best of my ability. So, im interested in building an elevator for my haunt, but I need the most simple/ easy/ pretty inexpensive and most effective way to do this scene. -Thanks for all your help, happy haunting!!:D

·
The Duke of Spook
1,976 Posts
Let me be the first to suggest that you try to find a way to create a fake elevator.

Producing a device that is meant to carry the weight of people up and down is something for engineers to worry about. Even then, I would never recommend any home haunter messing with anything like that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok so that's probably my best bet since this is my 3rd year doing a haunt (not including yard haunting) and this year hopefully I will have a bigger and new location for the general public

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well not sure if you understood what I'm trying to do but pretty much getting the feeling of being on an elevator, like a simulator. I know air bags are probably most effective but in the end will be very expensive. Do you have any suggestions

·
Registered
350 Posts
This is probably the easiest concept -- a stationary box with something scrolling by the window, with rumbling and sounds while its going. You could also possibly rig up a simple rumbling device using a reciprocating saw. But it would have to be driven by some decently expensive electronics, like a PicoBoo and some motors. Alternately you could have a human sitting outside controlling these things.

http://www.halloweenforum.com/halloween-props/97904-hellevator-progress.html

If you want to be really fancy you can then switch walls outside the elevator while the thing is going so that when people come out it looks like a different room.

Here's another idea, instead of the scrolling paper maybe you can use a computer monitor and some sort of video of floors going by.

But that being said, I'm doing a haunted hotel this year with a decent budget and I abandoned the elevator idea because it seems like too-much-work-for-too little effect if you aren't going the expensive and somewhat litigation-risky airbag route.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
We did one once using a pallet jack. The floor of the elevator was a pallet with a floor and walls added on. We had someone slowly raise and lower the jack all night.

·
Registered
703 Posts
For me, the elevator experience is not so much on what goes inside, but what the environment look like when you get out. I think Graveyardgus has the right idea about making a the experience the attraction and not so much the movement of an elevator.
I was in the elevator industry for 18 year, and believe me when I say an elevator is a very dangerous machine. I have seen videos of people getting hurt on elevator as part of my safety training. Things can go very wrong very quickly.

·
Halloween Elitist
2,891 Posts
My apologies thehaunter365, come to think of it it might be too ambitious for me but necessarily for you, the only thing I come up with is the elevator in the middle of a fake wall, behind the fake wall are three sides and the top, each side would have some type of sturdy handle bar. You get three guys and each violently shakes their side, I guess the box if you will, would sit on round post lying on the floor to give you that shaky unsteady floor. And of course some sound and light effects like a light flickering on and off. That's all I got..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts