Halloween Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just stumbled across this funky lighting on ebay. I did a quick search on here to see if anyone uses it and cant see any recent threads. So, does anyone here use it, have any pros and cons to it, hints tips etc.

Ebay has a battery kit for about £3 ($5) so quite cheap, but thought I would ask before jumping in.

·
Blaberus craniifer
4,920 Posts
I haven't used it in a prop yet (original intent is to build a harp and have the strings light up to the music), but bought a bunch of different colors to play and experiment with. Word of advice..... EL wire is AC! That little 2 AA battery controller is actually an inverter and the output is quite shocking if you grab the bare wires. So be careful with any exposed ends. Haven't tried splicing it yet, but looking at the how to videos, doesn't seem too bad, just not sure how easy it is to get to the shielding off the center wire.

·
Registered
668 Posts
The eBay stuff is very thin and very difficult to strip for splicing (if it's the 3 mm). I used some on a project. I'll see if I can find a pic.

Edit: Found a couple.
People Pedestrian Walking Snapshot Crowd

Animated cartoon Mascot Fun Animation Ear

Still looking for one at night. The first one they were off, but due to the sheathing of the wire having the color, they look on in the sun. The second picture is with them on.

Footwear Chair Furniture Shoe

This is from when I was doing preliminary testing with tape before seeing them on.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I just bought quite a few sets on ebay in different colors to play around with for my mad scientist setup. It has a cool glow but at least the units I bought make an annoying high-pitched sound while on. Probably won't be too noticeable on Halloween night, but I could see it getting annoying if you worked it into a costume. Overall I'm happy with them though.

·
Funeral Crasher
7,463 Posts
I used it in the past as a lightning bolt between the poles of my electric chair. I also still have yellow EL wire wrapped around the electrodes.
Looks really good when it's dark outside.
EL wire is kind of a pain to solder, though. It consists of two wires: one is thick, but the other is about the thickness of a human hair.
Not impossible, just a pain........

·
Registered
Yorkshire Scarer
1,252 Posts
Saw a guy who used it on a cosplay costume last Saturday - to outline the trouser seam, hat, and jacket lapels in blue. Looked really good in the darker halls.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Not sure if anyone else saw it, but there was a show called "fake off" and season 1 winners were a group that used EL wire for their performances. The show was ok, the host on the other hand got on my nerves. I'm not sure they will do a season 3 cause the replacement host on season two wasn't much better. Haha.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So my Blue EL wire pack arrived today. I am really impressed with it. My pack currently just makes a small buzzing sound, nothing too annoying, so I am just trying to figure out the best way to use it now. Would be easy to use to make neon type signs, in costumes or in all manner of ways. I like the harp idea, I could see that workig well. I will let you know how I get on.

·
Rutherford Manor Haunt
2,067 Posts
We use it for a faux Jacobs Ladder (JL) and also in our lab as part of a fake reactor. I really like it, it is very difficult to solder as mentioned earlier. There a few on line places that will do solder custom lengths, I considered that for the JL but it was quite expensive and a lower priority at the time.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You can buy splitter cables so you can attach 2 (or 3,4,5 etc) wires to one battery box cheaply, so you dont really even have to solder them. Even using a seperate box for each slight is not too cost inhibiting if you dont need more than a few.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts