Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, looking for someone who has experience with electro magnets. One of my props this year is a witch's table which has a Ouija board on it. The table is about an inch thick and I was looking to move the pointer about a foot. Nothing fancy just move it from its resting place to another. I thought a magnet might do the trick but really don't know anything about them. The magnet would be stationary and draw the pointer to it when switched on. Is this even possible? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi,

I am an electrical engineer, your magnet would have to be quite powerful and expensive. Also, no way to move your pointer back when you de-energize the magnet.

Consider a wiper motor, add an arm with a rare earth magnet. Your pointer should follow the magnet through the arc traced by the arm. The magnets you can by at any souvenir shack or rock shop. (hematite magnet). Attach to the end of the arm with epoxy.

·
Registered
244 Posts
http://smile.amazon.com/DC12V-Connector-Electromagnet-Solenoid-Holding/dp/B00HR8M4QQ

That little guy costs about $10 and has an attractive force of 50N (more than 10 pounds). You can find them smaller, weaker, and cheaper on Amazon as well. You might want to go with a weaker one, because you won't get a nice gentle slow movement, the ouiga pointer will zap over to the magnet like a lightning bolt. :) How do you move it back? Maybe another magnet?

·
Funeral Crasher
7,443 Posts
I'm not well versed in really strong magnets that would work well for inch thick wood.

Maybe the one ice suggested above?

·
Registered
566 Posts
mobeye, It sounds intriguing but I also don't see how you would move it back to its original position. I would suggest making a haunted Ouija board like DaveintheGrave. I used his idea and made one a couple of years ago. It was not difficult and it was a great addition to my fortune teller shack. The one I made is on a box but I have seen some that had the Ouija board sitting flat on a table. However, the table had a square hole cut in it for the Ouija board to sit over and the mechanical part of the prop (the reindeer motor and magnet that moves the planchete, was mounted underneath.

·
Registered
430 Posts
mobeye,

Here's a link to a Google search with tons of info on haunted ouija board props:
https://www.google.com/search?q=haunted+ouija+board&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=haunted+ouija+board+prop

Lots of info on this forum, and some on Haunt Forum as well. Skip the Instructable - that is waaay to advanced. Plus you can hear the stepper motors, they're pretty loud.

Go with one of the designs that use a vent motor with a magnet and another magnet on the planchette. Then the planchette will move on its own, back and forth. You could put a timer on the power to the deer motor so it didn't run continuously.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Guys, lots to ponder on there. I was initially going for the shock approach, whats the first thing that people say when they see a ouija board "Is there any body there?" I was going to have the pointer shoot across to "yes" Now I'm in two minds......

·
Registered
244 Posts
There are also magnets MUCH stronger than the one I showed you. http://smile.amazon.com/Lifting-Magnet-Electromagnet-Solenoid-Holding/dp/B00JR6N5MS
That one has a whopping 176lbs of force. In other words, it's strong enough to hold up most humans! Clearly that is overkill, but what is Halloween without a little overkill?

If you wanted to go the electromagnet route, I'd put a few of them strategically on the table and just activate the ones I wanted. It would be very simple to put one under "Yes" and one under "No" and maybe another one under "Bye". You could use a simple 4 button relay with a remote to activate the magnet that you want just by pressing a key on the remote. Here's one for about $8.
http://smile.amazon.com/Channel-Wireless-Control-Receiver-Momentary/dp/B00BQ842DG
The great thing about the magnets is that if someone's hand was on the device they would feel an invisible pull towards the answer you wanted.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts