Halloween Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the 2009 season is upon us. It's usually around July that I start thinking about the big day, and this year is no different.

This is a problem, though, that has been plaguing me since H'ween 2008. Last year was our first year in the current house, and we ran into a problem. I'm hoping that someone here will have a relatively simple fix to the challenge at hand.

It seems that all of our outdoor outlets (the garage, the front porch, and the deck in the back yard) are all on the same circuit. Where it gets interesting is if you go to the basement and check out the breaker box - the circuit comes off the box and goes directly into a GCFI, then splits off to the various external outlets.

The result? You guessed it. I can run 4 flood lights and a fogger before tripping the GCFI, and leaving the entire haunt in the dark. This year I've got three 400W foggers, and I have decided that I definitely need more lighting - preferably more task oriented fixtures to focus on individual props.

Does anyone have any creative ideas on how to remedy my dilemma? I don't particularly want to bring an electrician in to wire a dedicated Halloween circuit, but I'm a visual geek and I need my lighting!

Thanks!

· Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, guys!

Yeah, I figured it was code to have the outdoor outlets behind a ground fault. Another thought I had was to maybe look at some wired landscape lights for task lighting. (I can't imagine solar would have enough kick to really have any effect...if someone knows more than me, please let me know!)

If that proves to be not very cost effective, I may just resort to the leads coming off different circuits. It's not what I WANT to do, but since it's only for a couple weeks per year, that might make the most sense.

Thanks again as always!

· Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do the LED floods provide ample light? I've always stayed away from them because it just seemed impossible that such tiny lights (even in clusters such as floods) would be bright enough!

· Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's funny - two years ago I would've said "Okay, we need a dedicated circuit". But my wife was pregnant last H'ween, and we've got the baby this year, so while I may HAVE the money to do stuff like that, it isn't necessarily the best USE of it! LOL

I may look at the LED option a little bit. A lot of you seem to have reported success with them, so I'll do some more reading.

Thanks again!

· Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
For individual prop lighting I use small LED spotlights that I make myself. They use anywhere from 3-5 ultrabrights per spot, and run on 9 volt batteries. There's a number of how-to's on making these. I really like the portability and that they don't need any AC cords. The batteries have lasted for two seasons with no noticeable dimming (~ 40 hrs)
Yeah, that's the route I'm leaning for task lighting, and then just use corded floods for the main wash.

To answer a previous question - 100A vs 200A service - I checked my breaker box and the main has a 150A breaker. Does this indicate 150A service, which I've never heard of? The only ratings I've ever heard of were 100A, 200A or in some cases 400A. (And boy, wouldn't 400A service be nice? LOL)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.