Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

I want to make an electric chair prop that guests would sit on. I want to have it scare/startle them a little bit (Shiatsu massager under seat?) Any pics, ideas, don't-dos, etc. would help. I did buy two of those "blue lightning" 12-V. car accessory lights that are 10" long and look like a mini lightning storm inside. I think I'll put them along each side vertically near the top.

Thanks!

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
Great Video there Calloween...although you should have a note to turn your speakers down (especially at work) when the little kid sits on it at the end...

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
I did think it was pretty loud too. I got in trouble for loud videos at school before.
I had to turn the sound up since the guy wasn't talking very loud...but at the end when the kdi started screaming...I thought the folks in the neighboring cubicle were going to call 911

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did think it was pretty loud too. I got in trouble for loud videos at school before.
Thanks for the feedback folks. Yeah, that was pretty loud for me, too. Do you think a cheapie Shiatsu massager would work well under a wooden seat? I guess the metal one was for the chatter that the sander would make, but wouldn't wood be easier and safer? Just a thought.

·
Macho Nacho
859 Posts
Thanks for the feedback folks. Yeah, that was pretty loud for me, too. Do you think a cheapie Shiatsu massager would work well under a wooden seat? I guess the metal one was for the chatter that the sander would make, but wouldn't wood be easier and safer? Just a thought.
I think wood would work but the metal vibrates more and Im not sure
about the massager, if I woul use that I would have them sit on
the massager and put some fabric on top of it.

·
Funeral Crasher
7,435 Posts
Here's the Electric Chair i built a couple of years ago. I bought a large vibrating motor off E-bay and mounted it to the bottom of the chair. The square seat board it's mounted to is attached to the rest of the chair with rubber shock mounts I got from Electronic Goldmine so it would kind of "free-float" and vibrate more.
Heavy Duty Rubber Shock Absorber Mount-The Electronic Goldmine

I mounted a small strobe light under the seat (pointing down) that goes off when the chair is triggered.
I also used yellow Electroluminescent Wire around the electrodes and Blue EL Wire for the lightning bolt in between.

It's a big hit in the yard on Halloween. Women and young girls LOVE it and sometimes don't want to get off it. I still can't figure out why. Hmmmmm......................

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
motor

Here's the Electric Chair i built a couple of years ago. I bought a large vibrating motor off E-bay and mounted it to the bottom of the chair. The square seat board it's mounted to is attached to the rest of the chair with rubber shock mounts I got from Electronic Goldmine so it would kind of "free-float" and vibrate more.

I mounted a small strobe light under the seat (pointing down) that goes off when the chair is triggered.
I also used yellow Electroluminescent Wire around the electrodes and Blue EL Wire for the lightning bolt in between.

It's a big hit in the yard on Halloween. Women and young girls LOVE it and sometimes don't want to get off it. I still can't figure out why. Hmmmmm......................
So what was size, power, make or was the motor under the seat? Should I just pick up an old belt sander from a pawn shop?

Thanks

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
electric chair

You know, I don't see a link now to the chair video/pics; I thought I had it earlier. Did it get removed?

Bill

·
Funeral Crasher
7,435 Posts
I wish I could tell you details of the motor, but it doesn't have any markings on it. Somebody on this forum posted that they had six of these motors for sale on E-bay about 3 yrs. ago. I bid on one and got it, knowing I'd eventually build an electric chair. All I know is it spins very fast with an offset weight on it's shaft (like a semi-circle). Sorry, I know that's not much help.
I didn't have a video of the chair. My cheapo video camera won't pick up the glow from the EL wire.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I think the point to the metal seat is to keep the circuit going though the body.as far as a motor check out American Science & Surplus : Motors, Blowers and Pumps they have a lot of off the wall type motors maybe some might work.or I heard spring maybe coming and yard sales are a good place to find a orbital sander a belt sander won't work.might find some stuff for other props too.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
chair

Okay, I give up trying to guess, but what are the black insulator-looking things atop the posts made from?

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts