Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

I want to make an electric chair prop that guests would sit on. I want to have it scare/startle them a little bit (Shiatsu massager under seat?) Any pics, ideas, don't-dos, etc. would help. I did buy two of those "blue lightning" 12-V. car accessory lights that are 10" long and look like a mini lightning storm inside. I think I'll put them along each side vertically near the top.

Thanks!

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did think it was pretty loud too. I got in trouble for loud videos at school before.
Thanks for the feedback folks. Yeah, that was pretty loud for me, too. Do you think a cheapie Shiatsu massager would work well under a wooden seat? I guess the metal one was for the chatter that the sander would make, but wouldn't wood be easier and safer? Just a thought.

·
Macho Nacho
859 Posts
Thanks for the feedback folks. Yeah, that was pretty loud for me, too. Do you think a cheapie Shiatsu massager would work well under a wooden seat? I guess the metal one was for the chatter that the sander would make, but wouldn't wood be easier and safer? Just a thought.
I think wood would work but the metal vibrates more and Im not sure
about the massager, if I woul use that I would have them sit on
the massager and put some fabric on top of it.

·
Funeral Crasher
7,469 Posts
Here's the Electric Chair i built a couple of years ago. I bought a large vibrating motor off E-bay and mounted it to the bottom of the chair. The square seat board it's mounted to is attached to the rest of the chair with rubber shock mounts I got from Electronic Goldmine so it would kind of "free-float" and vibrate more.
Heavy Duty Rubber Shock Absorber Mount-The Electronic Goldmine

I mounted a small strobe light under the seat (pointing down) that goes off when the chair is triggered.
I also used yellow Electroluminescent Wire around the electrodes and Blue EL Wire for the lightning bolt in between.

It's a big hit in the yard on Halloween. Women and young girls LOVE it and sometimes don't want to get off it. I still can't figure out why. Hmmmmm......................

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
motor

Here's the Electric Chair i built a couple of years ago. I bought a large vibrating motor off E-bay and mounted it to the bottom of the chair. The square seat board it's mounted to is attached to the rest of the chair with rubber shock mounts I got from Electronic Goldmine so it would kind of "free-float" and vibrate more.

I mounted a small strobe light under the seat (pointing down) that goes off when the chair is triggered.
I also used yellow Electroluminescent Wire around the electrodes and Blue EL Wire for the lightning bolt in between.

It's a big hit in the yard on Halloween. Women and young girls LOVE it and sometimes don't want to get off it. I still can't figure out why. Hmmmmm......................
So what was size, power, make or was the motor under the seat? Should I just pick up an old belt sander from a pawn shop?

Thanks

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
electric chair

You know, I don't see a link now to the chair video/pics; I thought I had it earlier. Did it get removed?

Bill

·
Funeral Crasher
7,469 Posts
I wish I could tell you details of the motor, but it doesn't have any markings on it. Somebody on this forum posted that they had six of these motors for sale on E-bay about 3 yrs. ago. I bid on one and got it, knowing I'd eventually build an electric chair. All I know is it spins very fast with an offset weight on it's shaft (like a semi-circle). Sorry, I know that's not much help.
I didn't have a video of the chair. My cheapo video camera won't pick up the glow from the EL wire.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I think the point to the metal seat is to keep the circuit going though the body.as far as a motor check out American Science & Surplus : Motors, Blowers and Pumps they have a lot of off the wall type motors maybe some might work.or I heard spring maybe coming and yard sales are a good place to find a orbital sander a belt sander won't work.might find some stuff for other props too.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
chair

Okay, I give up trying to guess, but what are the black insulator-looking things atop the posts made from?

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.