Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last halloween at Ross I picked up these great Bastet statues [pictures to come whenever I pull out decor boxes]. So guess what scene I'm attempting to tackle this year :confused:

Let's round up cool items, ideas, and projects that could go with an Egyptian theme or scene! A forum search only turns up so many links, and a hub of new and old would be great, to see what other forum members are doing this year or in years past.

Now, I consider myself a crafter rather than a builder, and limited time/budget means projects on the quick and cheap, but I'm sure all of these could be upgraded with more time and effort. This list is definitely a WIP.

Mummies (a must!)

Sarcophagus (maybe next year?)

Canopic jars

Sets/themes

Costumes/accessories

Other props
  • Striking snake (Target/Walmart/Spirit?)
  • Statues: Anubis, Bastet, Pharaohs (all from Ross)
  • Ankh: ??
  • Lighting: Fire and Ice orange
  • Skull with cobras (Ross)

So, what's on your list?

·
Registered
14,461 Posts
I can add some of the things I've been collecting but will have to come back and do it later. Pretty tired tonight and don't have the energy right now but definitely will be following this thread.

·
Celtic Spirit
2,100 Posts
I'm doing a Mummy's Crypt display in my bathroom this year. My area is very small but I always thought it would be cool to add a Howard Carter type archeologist scene: life size figure with his face half eaten off (attacked by the Mummy that came to life) sitting at a camp desk with lantern, maps, books, scrolls, rope, archeologist tools (brushes, pickax, shovel, etc). A posey skeleton in an Anubis costume standing guard would look creepy.

Prop fillers to set the scene:
-black scorpions from DT and/or a scorpion skeleton
-lots of scarab beetles
-clay jugs and vases with reeds and peacock feathers
-"Book of the Dead" - http://www.ancient.eu/Egyptian_Book_of_the_Dead/
-mummified animals
-Target's crocodile skelly head
-pots of dried beans and peas (I read that food was placed in the tombs)
-gold box with Egyptian jewelry
-sphinx statue
-incense

Love your idea for canopic jars with the viewable body organs and the fire spotlight is a perfect effect to highlight your scene.

Tip - you can buy muslin fabric really cheap, I bought 3 yards for $6 at Joann's with a coupon, I'm using it for my costume. They have some already in a tea stained color and you can grunge it up more to wrap a mummy and then use the more expensive cheesecloth sparingly.

I'm lazy (and untalented) :rolleyes: so to cover my walls I bought some Egyptian shower curtains off Amazon and I'll be using a roll of brown shipping paper to draw on hieroglyphics and bricks.

Here's my pinterest link :
https://www.pinterest.com/tannasgach/mummys-tomb/

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ghost of Spookie, I'm looking forward to seeing what you're doing! I know you've already found some great stuff at Ross.

Tannasgach, this is a fantastic list and gave me so many new ideas for things to add. Did you make or buy your scarabs? I'm thinking those wouldn't be too hard to make out of clay and paint up. Maybe do a bigger one out of foam? Anyways, I'm definitely dressing up a skelly as Anubis I think. New project, make an Anubis mask!

Wolfbeard, yours was one of my inspiration pics! That sarcophagus is to die for. Can I ask where you acquired your King Tut mask? Leaning towards the link I listed in my OP (which incidentally I found in the thread you posted these pics lol). That mummy on the left looks like the one from Oriental Trading Co. (and other places too.) He fits great!

·
Registered
14,461 Posts
I bought my molds for scarabs, ankhs, etc. off of either Etsy or ebay a number of years ago in anticipation of doing an ancient Egyptian theme. Want to lay those among the wrappings on a mummy. I was prompted to use this as a theme when I bought that Gemmy mummy with the light up eyes and moaning sounds from Home Depot many years ago. Still have him too. Might have been my first life-size prop, even before a skeleton. Always had a fascination with Ancient Egypt from the time I use to pour over that section in the World Book Encyclopedia as a elementary school kid. Been collecting things for my haunt for a while now, whenever I see something that I think will work. I'm doing a different theme this year, but my Egyptian haunt will be outdoors and revolve around a tomb raider who got trapped in some ruins while stealing artifacts and is being attacked by scorpions (kicking legs prop sticking out of a tomb wall). Also have a dvd with snakes and want to project them on the ground as sort of Indiana Jones snake pit scene. Bought dozens of cool snakes a few years back from Pottery Barn when they were on clearance. Plan to use those all over as well. Other stuff in the works too.

I have some foam sheathing to work with as tomb panels (150 feet I think on deep clearance from a Lowes who was changing brands they stock and just wanted to get rid of it. Gosh think I paid $18 total) and was lucky to find at a GW one year one of those image projectors which I'll use to help "trace" some hieroglyphics. Anyway more later.

·
Celtic Spirit
2,100 Posts
errr....Sepia, I don't have any scarab beetles, yet, but I do have green metallic craft paint. :D I'm hoping to find a bag of bugs I can paint and pass them off as scarabs.

I think on my Pinterest board there is an Anubis head made from cardboard. Since I'm going to be a mummy queen I wanted my husband to be Anubis his reply - "a dog, you want me to be a dog?!" "He's a jackal! Anubis is [email protected], he's the guardian of the underworld!" So instead he wants to be Dr Frank-N-Furter from RHPS. :eek: Don't even freaking ask - I haven't a clue. Anyway point being, you can also buy an Anubis mask:
https://www.amazon.com/Bauer-Pacifi...F8&qid=1472267047&sr=8-8&keywords=anubis+mask

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tannasgach, omg your husband is a hoot! Mine will probably be jealous of the skelly's Anubis getup, since he's a big fan of Egyptian/mythology/underworld things. (Bonus, all of the outfit things can be repurposed as halloween costumes for hubster.) I was sorely tempted by that Anubis mask, and ended up deciding I want to make my own based on https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003A81EUO/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2NL9UUKFTRQH + https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4NPKqz0CSU . I want to make a collar/belt/armcuffs but that might be too ambitious for this year. Backup is those Deluxe Egyptian ones from Amazon...

·
Registered
14,461 Posts
errr....Sepia, I don't have any scarab beetles, yet, but I do have green metallic craft paint. :D I'm hoping to find a bag of bugs I can paint and pass them off as scarabs.

I think on my Pinterest board there is an Anubis head made from cardboard. Since I'm going to be a mummy queen I wanted my husband to be Anubis his reply - "a dog, you want me to be a dog?!" "He's a jackal! Anubis is [email protected], he's the guardian of the underworld!" So instead he wants to be Dr Frank-N-Furter from RHPS. :eek: Don't even freaking ask - I haven't a clue. Anyway point being, you can also buy an Anubis mask:
https://www.amazon.com/Bauer-Pacifi...F8&qid=1472267047&sr=8-8&keywords=anubis+mask

Tannasgach, you mean your husband would rather be a weenie than a powerful ancient Egyptian god feared by all!? Put it to him that way. ;)

Speaking of movies one of my favorite movies with an ancient Egyptian theme was Stargate (1994). Kurt Russell, James Spader, Djimon Hounsou (played the last man standing, CJ, on Wayward Pines this season and was Anubis in the movie). Jays Davidson was a great Ra I thought. Loved the scenery. Then there's The Mummy Returns (2001) and Scorpion King (2002) for more contemporary movies. Still love the old B&W stuff though.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I wanted to post up a few of the items from my Egyptian vignette. I have a few more items I will try and post before the weekend is out.

So being a cat person I had to have a mummy cat.

Lizard Reptile Fictional character

I found in Ross and TJ Maxx these nice vases. The four in front will become Canopic jars sometime before Halloween.

Wood Interior design Hardwood

Here is a closer pic of the three sizes of vases.

Product Pleurotus eryngii Artifact Bottle Vase

Table Snake Elapidae Serpent King cobra

Wood Rope

Turquoise Dagger Turquoise Fashion accessory Sword

A necklace for my Gemmy mummy.

Jewellery Necklace Fashion accessory Turquoise Turquoise

I wanted some scarab beetles but most of the ones I found online were tiny. I finally found this similar beastie (Japanese Rhinoceros Beetle from www.collectiblewildlifegifts.com) that with some trim of its front horn and the addition of some iridescent ribbon (from Etsy) I hope will look close enough.

Insect Beetle Invertebrate Organism Leaf Footed Bugs

Finally, I looked all over online for a costume crook and a flail. I finally found one vendor but they were like 40 dollars ( http://www.kyledesigns.com/egyptian-halloween-costume-crook-flail/ ) so I put it on my think about list. Then I happened to be walking through the Michaels Halloween section and saw these flower arrangement stems, cut one up and voila... crook and flail. I have some gold beads I will be adding to the end of the flail.

Fashion accessory Metal Beige Silver Chain

More soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
avgjoefriday, that's a fantastic collection! I forgot to include a mummy cat in my list, I have two of em! Those mummy rats are awesome with it. The jars look perfect, and I might just have to steal that idea for the crook and flail, because those are amazing. Great finds!

·
Celtic Spirit
2,100 Posts
avgjoefriday, nice finds there. :) The jars are great and that dagger is fantastic! Great job of repurposing on the crook and flail. :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
I got one of the daggers a few years back at target. Wanted a second matching one this year and found it on eBay for $8. They are plastic costume daggers but very intricate looking.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Thank you ! Just ordered one off ebay 8 bucks and free shipping. I'm not even doing an egyptian theme this year but I've had the two grandin road mummies for a couple years and keep planning on it. I want those egyptian statues at Ross. I love those bottles you got as well, I've seen them alot at TJ maxx and everytime thought they would look good with an egyptian theme. Can't wait to see what all you do !

·
Registered
87 Posts
Thanks voice. Would love to see pics of your GR mummies! I have looked at four Ross stores today and no Egyptian stuff. I am giving up that search for the moment.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
lol avgjoe you sold at least two of us on those daggers! Just bought mine off ebay (here's the listing, not sure how long it will be around so grab em while they're hot!)

disembodiedvoice, what about doing an Egyptian corner/scene with the pieces you have? That's what I'm doing :D . (It's really hard to get enough together for an entire Egyptian theme unless you really commit to prop-building.)

My other purchase today... This spellbook which I plan to paint an Eye of Horus around the eye and form a clay ankh around the cross.

·
Celtic Spirit
2,100 Posts
That's a cool spellbook; where did that come from? Ebay is thee place to get the daggers, Amazon wants $15 with shipping.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts