Halloween Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going for an Egyptian tomb next year. I am having trouble finding Egyptian wardrobe and props. Any ideas, hints would be helpful, but if you have something ou are looking to get rid of, please let me know. Specific things I am looking for are:

Canopic Jars
Costumes for Egyptian guards
Sarcophagus

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Swampboy! :)

I am thinking of doing an Egyptian/Mummy theme for our annual community haunted house next year as well. After halloween, my mind exploded with ideas for next year, barrowing scene set-ups and effects from magic shows, movie illusions and my own sick, sick mind.

Since I am an artist, I was thinking I would be sculpting a lot of items I need out of styrofoam. I've joined this forum to see what others use and get some tips. Plus, I've loved Egyptian things since forever, and think that their art is very graphic and can lend itself well to ideas.

For the canopic jars, what size are you doing? If you are doing regular, small jars, what if you found cans the same size and modified the outside shape with wire and mache? You could use a wooden disk for the lid, maybe find animal and a doll head for the lids, using paper or fabric for the head dresses. Spray paint them all one color and paint in highlights to make them look like a set. Aside from that, there are some very nice (and pricey! :eek:) jars on ebay.

Since I am having Anubis jackels for my guards/actors, I was thinking to have them wear black shirts and pants and do a simple folded white skirt that Velcros around the waist. Maybe add some gold armbands or neck pieces. The heads I plan on sculpting and attaching to bike helmets, then draping black see-thru cloth over the faces. This would give my tallest actors more height.

I did see a tutorial somewhere (can't find it now!) on the Web for making your own sarcophagus out of foam from a home center. It was very square, which would be okay for the bottom, but I'm not sure how to do the lid with a moulded mummy. Unless you sculpt the styro, which I will probably wind up doing.

Let me know what ideas you have and how they go!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, glad to hear I have a comrade....

As far as canopic jars go, I have seen a lot on eBay for $4 to $5 but they are less than 5" tall. I need bigger size though. There are ones that are around 9" but those are priced at $24 each and I don't want to spend that much on an accessory (since I want 4 to 5 of them). I was hoping there would be a generic clay/ceramic vase that would work with some type of lid but so far no luck. I was also hoping ot find egyptian items at a ceramic store but haven't found any that are not cartoony or cute.

I would think sculpting a Bastet (guardian cat) wouldn't be that hard for someone that knew how to sculpt. I an artistically challenged and crafty impaired so it would look like a mutant limb if I tried.

If I find anything or a place to find some, I'll let you know. None of the Halloween stores had anything worthwhile so I think I will need to make a few.

Good luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts