Halloween Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
14,834 Posts
Outstanding. They are so realistic looking. You really captured the anubis.

Some questions: How tall did they end up being? I know the base was hollow woodframe so expect they are pretty lightweight. Any guess at what they ended up weighing? Curious how exactly are you going to use them in your haunt? Sorry if you already mentioned that somewhere in the thread before. Just a terrific job though.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Outstanding. They are so realistic looking. You really captured the anubis.

Some questions: How tall did they end up being? I know the base was hollow woodframe so expect they are pretty lightweight. Any guess at what they ended up weighing? Curious how exactly are you going to use them in your haunt? Sorry if you already mentioned that somewhere in the thread before. Just a terrific job though.

Thanks for the nice words.
The statues are close to 9ft tall. That is to the top of the ears.
They are indeed very light . I think they're somewhere between 15-20 pounds .
Very easy to move them .

They will go inside the house since Egypt is our annual halloween party theme.
I'm thinking about putting them outside on halloween for the ToT's to enjoy , or better ,the parents of the ToT's.
I'd like to build some type of arched entrance in between the statues that can be used for the party but also for the ToT candy table.
We'll see how we're gonna do it.

We also have a 5ft sphynx that will go on top of a tomb and I'm working on 6 mummies right now. Once these are done , the only things left to build are 1/2 a pyramid and 10 panels ( 4'x8') with hieroglyphics.

A small tutorial on the mummies is coming up. Another prop that didn't cost me anything.
The only thing I'm buying is 10 styrofoam sheets ( $7 each ) for the hieroglyphic walls and some paint. That will be the toal cost of my setup this year since I get the paper and cardboard for free.
That means more money for the food and prizes for the party.

·
Registered
14,834 Posts
FYI : I noticed that the paper mache sticks better when painting with concrete stain compared to acrylic or spray paint.
Acrylic and spray paints tend to loosen some of the paper.
Interesting tip Clad in Shadows. Thanks for sharing. Again, just love your work and thanks for the info on height and such. If they don't fit in your house, I'll gladly take them off you hands :D

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Thanks ! I hope my way of building props is useful for a lot of people here on the forum.

I will probably get rid of them after halloween like I do with most of my props.
Not sure how they would hold up in transit though !

One more note.... the stain I used for painting this , is Behr solid color concrete stain. Just in case someone needs this info.

·
Registered
171 Posts
OHHH! These things are just so darn cool! It totally reminds me of the mummy ride at universal studios for some reason! Which is sort of random given all the egyptian themed things out there, but great job! An archway would be cool, maybe with some heiroglyphics and an oversized scarab beetle in the center. Looking forward to the mummy tut.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Utterly beautiful! Hoping a few more pics of the Anubis Twins set up in house for your party will appear around Halloween.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Awesome! A few years ago my youngest wanted to be Annubis for Halloween and I found sequined banding in gold, green, blue and red and made a wide collar. It's a staple item in the ribbon/trim section at Hancock's fabrics if you think you might could use it. I can't wait to see yours finished. Great idea.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts